IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my snow set and they fit like a glove. The tires are going to tear through the snow. I am going with full snow tires so I can have the extremes between the winter and summer. The wheels were $117 each and the tires were only $94 each. I will try to put some pics in but it will be my first try. By the way, they drive pretty good too. Not too loud( about the same as RE070s) and they are pretty stable considering they are full snow tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for the info. What kind of snow tires are those?

Also, Can you take a picture of the entire car? I'm curious to see how those wheels look overall.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
those are the Hancook snow tires if i am correct. lowest priced winter tire for the STi that i had seen. you'll have to tell us all how they ride. the wheels are from Rage. correct me if i am mistaken. but i looked at that combination myself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They seem to be Rage Breakers from Discount Tire Direct. Don't look to shabby either. This may be the ones I get seeing as they are a fair amount cheaper than even the rotas. Tl-racer/STI-driver you said they fit like a glove...so no clearance issues anywhere? If so thats pretty cool.

I would also like to see a picture of the whole car if ya can, looks good from what I've seen so far though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the only full picture I could get before my digital camera died on me. The only weird part about the wheels is that you can't use the regular lug nut wrench because it is too fat to fit in the hole. You need a to use a regular socket. The good part about that is that no one else can't use a lug nut wrench either. I just put that socket and a spare wrench that I had in the car in case of a flat. The tires run great after a day and I can't wait until a nice foot of slushy snow is on the roads. They are the Rage Breakers 17x7 and the Hankook W404 225/45R-17. A couple people at my work said they like these better than my gold BBS. I think that is because they don't like the gold color though. The wheels are also only 13.7lbs too. Anyway I bought them because of the price and am extremely happy with them. They seem like a much more expensive wheel.

Attachments

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Nice combo! Do the Rage rims come in a darker color, like anthracite? I wouldn't want to get another set of gold rims for winter, nice to have a different set of shoes for the car :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the info and the side shot. I live in Eastern PA and therefore I see a variety of winter weather, from mostly dry cold pavement to snow/ice and an occasional heavy snow. What I'm concerned about is the dry performance of the tires that you have, they seem to be a great deal but I don't want a tire that handles horribly (I don't drive aggressively at all most of the time, commuting and all), is very loud, or that wears out after 5 miles on dry pavement.

Basically I'm just wondering how their dry pavement performance is at city/highway speeds and how the ride, noise, control is on them. Thanks alot for the info, as someone needing to buy a set of winter wheels/tires your help is invaluable.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I'm sold. That will be perfect for a New England winter. I didn't really like the Rota's. I wanted easy access to the brembos so I could hose the sand and salt away. I had been putting it off cause I wasn't sure what to do. Excellent! Don't look bad either. Can't wait to hit the mountains in the snow.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Same here... Those would look very good on my silver baby :)

EDIT: Just to make sure there are the 17X7 5-100 42S right?

-dp

·
Registered
212 Posts
TL-racer/STi-driver said:
Not sure about different colors like anthracite. Check out www.tires.com they have about 17 different wheels that fit and they have good prices on snow tires as well.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Holly crap!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

...does this mean that there are more than three 17" wheels that will the STi???

...where was I when all these wheels were made available for the STi?...how long was I out for?! ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm not a wheel expert but it seems like we're getting along way from the stock 53mm offset. Any knowledgable people out there know how far we can go with this? Just because a wheel bolts on doesn't mean it's good for the car/wheel bearings. You can't always trust what the wheel sales person says.

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was just curious if this setup (Rage Breakers 17x7 and the Hankook W404 225/45R-17) is good on clearance and if the wheels are the proper size for the car.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would personally be very leary of the 42 mm offset of that wheel. The scary thing is tires.com suggests using wheels all the way down to low-mid 30mm offset :eek:. Stock offset is 52 or 53mm I believe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow. $94 and only 13.7 lbs? Are you sure they are this light?

That's a great deal and they're good looking rims. I was going to go for some SDR's but at $94 and 4lbs lighter, that's a hell of a deal!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts