IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Is there another rally in Michigan or is that the only one? I would like to check one out. I have never been to a rally before either. I remember some off road races being held in my old home town of Manistee, but I was too young to remember what it was. I don't know if it was a rally or what, but I know they don't do it anymore. I do remember my dad trying to find a place to park in his old 70 something Bronco and little did he know he was on the track heading to the starting line. They were ready to count down for him to go. He was like no I am trying to find a place to park. :lol:

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Serious_Funk said:
Anyone going? I plan on catching some of the action. This will be my first rally, does anyone have any suggestions for a first time spectator?

http://www.sno-drift.org/
ooo, sounds like fun!!! As far as tips dress smartly b/c rallies can get pretty cold. I don't know what the weather will be like since I've never been there, but expect anything.

Bring a camera with a nice zoom function, a tripod or monopod to stabilize when using a fast shutter speed (for those action shots), and if necessary bring a plastic bag to protect your camera if raining/snowing.

Wear good, tall, and waterproof boots since you will be standing anywhere. and of course get there early at a good location. Hairpins are typically the location of choice..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hood scoop

MKIVSupra: As far as I know this is the only Rally going on in Michigan at the moment. I am just getting into the rally scene so my resources of information are quite limited to the web pages of the racing clubs. I have to admit I am kind of geeked :D about going. I have a co-worker that is really into this style of racing and is going to start racing his 300+Hp Dodge Omni in autocrosses this year. He turned me onto Subaru’s WRX and rallying. To the forthcoming pains of my pocket book, I have not looked back since.
That’s pretty funny what happened to your Dad :) Heck, if I got the chance to be apart of the action I would grind my daily commuter into tiny pieces on Michigan back roads :D

91TB78: Great tips Thanks! Yes Michigan can get bitter cold (coldest day I can remember was –22.7 F) I plan on being layered like an onion and wearing my “pig boots” I was thinking about staking out a hairpin ( in Michigan that’s hard to find) or a jump. Oh, I did read somewhere about a water crossing, that would be awesome from a distance. :) I have seen so many video clips of cars loosing control and wiping out spectators on the sidelines, I think I will stick to the top of the hill, beginning of the turn, on the inside, just to be safe :) As the camera goes I am lacking in the quality of equipment you list. I will have my bargain bin digital for the pits and good quality disposable for the action shots on the legs. With luck I will walk away with some keepers!

BTW: Are their any teams I should get an autograph from?

·
Registered
281 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
Is there another rally in Michigan or is that the only one? I would like to check one out. I have never been to a rally before either. I remember some off road races being held in my old home town of Manistee, but I was too young to remember what it was. I don't know if it was a rally or what, but I know they don't do it anymore. I do remember my dad trying to find a place to park in his old 70 something Bronco and little did he know he was on the track heading to the starting line. They were ready to count down for him to go. He was like no I am trying to find a place to park. :lol:
Having owned a '72 Bronco, and currently owning a '76, I think that's great. :)

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
SeriousFrank,
You can get real close to the action, but try to stay away from beginning turn..usually the end of a turn is decently safe. The water crossing would be sweet. Trust me, there will be hairpins..they will make it so, I'm sure.

your digital will do great, and the disposable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts