IW STi Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1818 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
Re: Smitty's 2011 DGM STI Sedan - Track Build Underway

On another note ... as a paying fucking member I want to know why the fuck advertisements are linking to my own posts in my build thread?
Post this up in the private support forum so all the mods will see it and be able to address it without going OT on your thread. :)

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts

05/26/12 - Build 2 Day 32

A quick update from yesterday. I started off with getting the surge tank ready to go in the car ... this meant painting it.
And of course you cant forget the remove before flight tag ...
I'm not sure why but I love seeing the different ext fuel pump and surge tank layouts on different cars.

I really like the way you did it with the false floor. Also that stealth link is sweet.

I need to check them out, if I don't have an event for 2 mos my car gets a little "cranky". :lol:

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,243 · (Edited)

Post this up in the private support forum so all the mods will see it and be able to address it without going OT on your thread. :)
I did, do you see it there too or is it just on my computer? Where it says Build 2 on all my updates.

I'm not sure why but I love seeing the different ext fuel pump and surge tank layouts on different cars.

I really like the way you did it with the false floor. Also that stealth link is sweet.

I need to check them out, if I don't have an event for 2 mos my car gets a little "cranky". :lol:
Its a pretty cool little product Ill definitely be taking advantage of it.

I laid it out that way for a few reasons, I wanted to keep the tank in the middle and as far forward as possible so that's why the tank is where it is. The way I laid it out a few updates ago put it all the way on the left. The pump is all the way in back and there is a large space between the tank and first filter because I did not want a bend immediately after the pump which would have been necessary in any other configuration and I wanted the filter in line with the pump inlet so that all I needed was 2 90 deg. fittings and a straight run of hose between them. The battery is where it is because I wanted it opposite of the driver seat and in a place it was easy to find grounds and run things like the Stealthlink. There is also more support in the corner for something that heavy.

It all made sense in my head and I like how it came out as random as it looks.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,244 ·

06/01/12 - Build 2 Day 33 and Parts Update

Ill start with the parts.

First, while they aren't a sponsor I would like to thank Fragola Performance for the hook up on the hoses. Definitely some great guys over there who support the grassroots guys. The tough part about finding hose at least for my application is complying with the NASA rule book. NASA requires that all hose run inside the drivers compartment be steel braided for abrasion resistance. To protect the hose I did not want to run the fuel lines under the car. I am not a big fan of shiny shit so I did not really want to run stainless braided lines and they are also pretty heavy when you consider the amount of hose that goes into a fuel system and all the other systems I have. Luckily Fragola's Race series hose has a layer of stainless braid to comply with the NASA rules but is covered with a layer of nylon solving both of my problems. To top it off the hose is rated at 3-5 years of life with Ethanol use. There is a concern with fumes when you run E85, the only preventative measure here is to use a PTFE hose which Fragola does carry but at this point I dont really car about some fumes or smells. This batch of hose is for the fuel line runs up to the fire wall as well as the oil cooler which I will go over at a later date and a couple other areas. I will place another order for the fuel lines in the engine bay once I lat that all out.

Fragola Performance Systems

Next up, a couple Grimmspeed parts. I got their crank pulley and MC brace. The crank pulley looks great, you can tell I am adding a bit of color in the engine bay this time. I went with the GS pulley because it is not extremely light and I dont need to go very light since I will have a lighter clutch. For the most part I have been happy with Grimmspeed, but I am not all that impressed with the MC brace. The finish on it isn't great and the welds could be a bit cleaner. This has nothing to do with being sponsored by TiC, I promise, but their brace is much nicer looking not I just need to convince them to make one for the 08+.

Next are some pictures of the fittings welded on the valve covers and coolant cross over. Obviously Ill be running braided lines for the coolant lines and catch can setup.

Next up are the parts you need to delete the OEM oil warmer bullshit. P/N's are in the pics for anyone who needs or wants to know. The plug replaces the fitting on the bottom of the block and the threaded fitting replaces the long one that holds the OEM warmer on the block and that the oil filter screws on to. To finish off this setup I have a 2 outlet water pump as opposed to the 3 outlet one that is typically on the car. Dding it this way means I dont need to weld up the fittings or just connect the two fittings when removing the warmer like most do which will result in a cleaner setup.

Last up is my free shit that I won from Global Time Attack and Formula Drift for sharing their Live Feed link during the Road Atlanta event a few weeks ago lol.

For the update, I fitted the wheels and checked the clearance. The problem is, obviously without anything in the car at all the spring perches can not be set where they will actually end up and even with the car on the ground the springs have not sagged at all yet. As a result, even with the same length spring on the front that I had before, the perch is about an inch lower that it was before. I had to have a couple people stand on the front of the car and the perch is still too low, to the point that any adjustment is pretty much lost. This is causing some clearance problems in the front with a 275 tire. I was able to get clearance with a 2mm spacer so once get all the weight back in the car I am hoping that I will be able to reset the perches and have plenty of clearance up front. In the rear you can see I will need a good amount of rolling. The ride height here is set to the RCE recommended specs. A final corner balance will be done once its all finished up.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

If those are 275 star specs on a 9.5" wheel then they are actually 280mm-285mm wide.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,247 ·

Exactly, plenty of clearance in the pics with 2mm spacers. Ill have to see where the perches end up to determine if Ill actually need spacers or not. If I can move the perch up even a half inch Ill be fine.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,248 ·

06/11/12 - Build 2 Day 34

Alright, I was out of town the past two weekends and last week for some boring ass work shit so I didn't get anything done on the car until last night. The good news is that it was like a little mini Christmas when I got home to a pile of boxes:

The boxes included all of the wiring I’ll need for the battery and fuel pumps other than the breaker for the batter wiring. I also got all the AN wrenches I needed and the vice jaws so that I don't destroy my hose ends when I assemble them.

Also in those boxes was the final part I needed for the clean deletion of the OEM oil heater. Here is a picture for anyone interested in the correct pump to use to do it right and not just weld or block off the extra fitting. As you can see this one also has a cast impeller like the last one I had. Finding this was a pain in the ass since pictures from one site to another are not consistent and manufactures do not know shit about their own damn product which is not surprising. I was finally able to find a vendor that was helpful enough to actually go into the warehouse and make sure this one was correct. It will get the same treatment with the AN fittings as well.

So after going through all the new stuff I started work on the valve covers and coolant crossover pipe. I am not just throwing the engine back in there looking like shit and there is no reason things can’t look as good as they perform (See LIC’s TT car). I decided to go with some high temp wrinkle black. First up was to clean them well, here is a before and after cleaning:

Then they were preheated at 200F for an hour, coated and back into the oven to cure for at least an hour, I did a 3 hour cure which resulted in real tight wrinkles similar to the OEM manifold.

Here is the end result, I will probably use this method on the IM as well after seeing how well it all came out:

After that I decided to work on the fuel system. I decided that making as few lines as possible would be nice since it is not something I enjoy doing. I ditched the original layout and changed it up so that I only needed one line between the surge tank and the filters/pump and then the long run to the front of the car and finally the 3 lines that come off the top of the surge tank. Of course this meant I had to remake the trunk floor since having random old holes in it wasn’t an option for me, I am too OCD. This was alright though because there were some things I would have done differently the second time around and I was able to incorporate those changes this time. I had to make it by hand since I obviously don’t have instant waterjet access to have it cut like the last one, that would be nice though! I used the last one for a template and then used my awesome sheet metal fabrication skills to get it done :lol:. Here is the new layout:

And in the trunk:

Once that was in there it was time to work on the lines. I do not enjoy doing this, it is not a fun task at all, but the Fragola hose ends are pretty easy to work with and the nylon hose doesn’t cut you like the SS braid does. I find it harder to make the short runs than the long ones since the length has to be more exact so changing the layout to only have the one short run between the tank and first filter really saved some time. As far as the assembly procedure goes the things to keep in mind are to fully seat the hose in the socket before starting and to use a lot of lube on the hose and threads which helps keep the hose from pulling out of the socket too much. I find it easier to hold the hose in the vice and thread on the hose end, some people do it the opposite way but both ways work. For me it is more repeatablethis way and I find the hose stays in the socket more. Once the line is done it’s important to pressure test them which I did so hopefully there will be no leaks once it’s all together. To test them I pressurize the hose then let it sit for a while and see what happens to the pressure, so far so good with the ones I have finished so I don’t expect any leak problems. Here is the short hose run that is between the surge tank and filter:

And installed:

Next up was the -8 feed line that goes to the firewall:

This line runs up the frame rail to the rear seat area then over to the tunnel and up to a bulkhead fitting at the firewall. The bulkhead fitting is through a plate that I made to block off the area that the heater lines used to go through. The plate is covered with the reflective film that is going to cover the firewall. Once the firewall is covered I can install the plate:

Lines will then be run from the other side of the bulkhead to the distribution block, rails, regulator then back to the bulkhead. The return line will follow the same path as the feet back to the surge tank

This is what I got done last night, kind of a dark pic but Ill get better ones later once its all finished up:

Today the plan is to finish up the lines and if there is time I will start the wiring (still need the breaker for battery wiring). As far as plans going forward, we are waiting on one fitting before we can assemble the engine. I hope to be able to do that by the end of this week or sometime next week. Nameless is still working on their parts but they are swamped will rally stuff and getting parts out for the BRZ so my stuff is about 3rd in line over there which is understandable. They only have so many resources to use. I am just going to get things ready to drop the engine and turbo in and go from there. Not much else I can do at this point. I also need to move the car to my new garage, not quite sure when I am going to do that yet. I will continue to work on smaller things as I can so that once the big parts are here it can be finished in as little time as possible. I have more parts on order as well and only have a couple more things I need to get to finish things up.

·
Registered
591 Posts

Sorry if this in here somewhere, but what is your in-tank fuel pump setup like?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,251 ·

Damn that is a nice setup!
Thanks man, I am happy with how it is coming out.

Sorry if this in here somewhere, but what is your in-tank fuel pump setup like?
DW 65C, should be plenty to feed the tank combined with what comes back from the rails. If not Ill have to go bigger.

·
Registered
512 Posts

Awesome update! I really wish I was in Cincinnati to help with this. (and that is the ONLY reason I'd ever want to be in Cincinnati). It would've been a great learning experience. I guess I'll just have to learn on my car when we re-do it :p

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts

I like it.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,255 ·

Thanks guys, its coming along slowly. Better to get it right the first time or as close as possible than have to redo everything. I just wish I had everything here to finish it up.

·
Super Moderator
10,713 Posts

Nice work young man. Great uppdates in here.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

The wrinkle black came out nice!!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,258 ·

Thanks guys, Ill have more done on it tonight once I gout out of this damn office so I will try to post an update later.

I was very pleased with the way the valve covers and cross over pipe came out and it saved me a good amount of money. I did all the prep you can do so I expect it will last a while and it is made for high temp areas. If it doesnt last then I am only out like $30 and Ill get them "Professionally" powdercoated.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,259 ·

Wouldnt it be nice if we could buy an STI shell and Drivetrain and thats it none of the useless bullshit. Or at least something more like the 04 was. Ford does that with the Mustang.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

Wouldnt it be nice if we could buy an STI shell and Drivetrain and thats it none of the useless bullshit. Or at least something more like the 04 was. Ford does that with the Mustang.
I did not know that.... :tup:

1241 - 1260 of 1818 Posts