IW STi Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1818 Posts

·
Boobs add 50 horsepower!
1,307 Posts
They flow great, better than the overpriced Cosworth bull**** ... cost me $100 bucks ... $100 or so in new drums and burrs and some time and I have a better manifold than that $1K garbage lol.
Yup! Agreed. :)

Maybe you can melt down those shavings and sell em to the scrap yard to recoup some of you HUGE costs :lol:

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,183
Re: Smitty's 2011 DGM STI Sedan - Track Build Underway

Yup! Agreed. :)

Maybe you can melt down those shavings and sell em to the scrap yard to recoup some of you HUGE costs :lol:
lol I had that thought actually

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,184

I want one.
They are tough to find. The long runners are more common but I think the modifications on this one are easier to do. You just need to deal with the TGV bolt holes. The long runner ones you run into some fun injector problems with clearance to the AVCS solenoid and just mounting the rails.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,185

04/30/12 - Build 2 Day 25

More work on the manifold tonight until the rain came and I couldn't work outside any longer. It is just about ready for welding up all the holes.

I need to order a new mandrel for my grinder since mine is now completely ****ed so I will get that tomorrow so I can have it to port the inside of the manifold. Looking at the runners, they are already as big as my ported STI manifold so I am going to take the manifold over to TiC tomorrow to see how they line up with the prototype TGV housings. If I am lucky they will not need much porting at all and I will just clean up the casting lines and the inside of the welds and be done with it. Once the inside is all cleaned up I can re-weld the top of the plenum.

For the bolt alignment I am definitely going to weld up the inner holes that are already there so that I can just redrill them where they are supposed to be for the STI TGV housings. I dont feel like enlarging or notching the preexisting holes.

As you can see in the pics, the only fittings I left were the one for the fuel pressure regulator and the brake booster. All of the others can be cut off for a clean look or plugged in some manner. I am going to fab up some mounts for my pressure regulator and distribution block so that will be the final task before it can be coated. I need to sit down and look at it to decide how I want to mount them but I want to keep the lines nice and symmetrical so it will all be mounted to the middle of the manifold in some way.

Alright, on to the new case that Benson sent me. So far I am much happier with the results. Link I mentioned previously, the decks are perfect. I can not feel any step between he sleeves and aluminum. The line hone looks very nice, just like last time and the block was deburred again as well. As I mentioned, this one is a 702 casting so there is a bunch of casting flash everywhere but he cleaned most of it up. I am going to spend a bit more time cleaning it as well. Here are some pics to show the deck and overall condition.

Overall it is pretty clean, it needs to spend some time in the hot tank (my dishwasher) though and some cleaning is needed:

702 casting ... mine was a 704 obviously being a 2011:

You can see the casting flash here, on the 704 this is all completely smooth.

Here are some pics of the decks, they are completely flat this time, I am happy with these for sure:

The line hone looks good as well just like the last one did:

So far I am happy with the new block, I have not measures the bores to see where we stand before honing but he was supposed to leave 4 thousandths to remove with the hone. Obviously we will measure before honing at the machine shop.

I am still not happy with the resolution but it looks like this one will work so far.

So since I have some time before I can get this to the machine shop I actually have time to post pics this time for the oil passage porting. Last time I rushed through it and since taking pics doubles the time I didn't bother with them. I was able to finish the oil pump inlet. In stock form, there is a small lip inside the passage and them a sharp corner as it enters the pump. I remove the lip and round out the corner then clean it all up.

Stock sharp corner:

After rounding it out and cleaning things up:

Other side of the inlet where the lip used to be:

I need to finish up the oil passages tomorrow because the block is off to the machine shop on Wednesday. I will post pics of the other work I do on it. Most of it is just removing lips and sharp corners to help the oil flow especially on the return ports that let the heads drain back to the pan. Ill also finish up the Intake manifold if I have time and make some decisions on mounting the fuel system so that I can get it out to be coated.

·
Registered
425 Posts

Damn that manifold looks awesome! I was wondering what you were going to do in that respect, and sure enough that aspect of the build was far from overlooked.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,190

Pure Awesomeness! :devil:
looking good pat! keep up the amazing work!
Looking good!
Damn that manifold looks awesome! I was wondering what you were going to do in that respect, and sure enough that aspect of the build was far from overlooked.
Thanks guys ... more pics coming later tonight. I just finished up the heads and they are taking a bath in the dishwasher (because race car ... and single). Ill have to run them through a couple cycles and I want to get the AVCS solenoids and galley plugs back in them then Ill take pics. I also have some final pics of the oil passage porting that I did on the block.

The manifold is close to done but the final steps will have to wait because it is in the mail to Nameless so they can use it to fit up the intercooler piping.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

Thanks guys ... more pics coming later tonight. I just finished up the heads and they are taking a bath in the dishwasher (because race car ... and single). Ill have to run them through a couple cycles and I want to get the AVCS solenoids and galley plugs back in them then Ill take pics. I also have some final pics of the oil passage porting that I did on the block.

The manifold is close to done but the final steps will have to wait because it is in the mail to Nameless so they can use it to fit up the intercooler piping.
Pat, make sure you put the solenoids back to the side they go on. There are oil passage differences between either head and if you install the solenoids on the wrong sides, they will not work. Diameter wise they are the same, but the actual solenoids are different in size and where the port are. I'm sure if you spend a little time, you can finger it out. ;)

I'm sure you already knew that, but just a helpful reminder.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,192

Pat, make sure you put the solenoids back to the side they go on. There are oil passage differences between either head and if you install the solenoids on the wrong sides, they will not work. Diameter wise they are the same, but the actual solenoids are different in size and where the port are. I'm sure if you spend a little time, you can finger it out. ;)

I'm sure you already knew that, but just a helpful reminder.
I believe I marked them but I did not know that. I'll make sure I verify they are on the right side though. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

I believe I marked them but I did not know that. I'll make sure I verify they are on the right side though. Thanks!
No problem brother! And I was serious with the finger it out part. Feel out the oiling passages on each side then look at the solenoids.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,194 (Edited)

05/08/12 - Build 2 Day 26 and 27

This one is a little late but I got busy and never posted.

I finished up the oil passages in the block a few nights ago and it is now at the machine shop getting the final hone done. Here are the pics of the porting I did. Most of it is just a matter of rounding out the sharp edges as you can see. The pics aren't the best but after spendign hours hunched over an engine with a grinder pics weren't my top priority.

Before:

After, opened up the hole a bit and radiused everything:

Before:

After, again radiused the transitions as much as possible:

Before:

After, here I opened up the passage and smoothed the transition out:

I also cleaned up the return ports where oil drains back to the pan from the heads but those are too difficult to take pictures of.

After that, I got to work on the heads. The heads were done at Paul's Automotive Engineering in Blue Ash, OH. If your into Mustangs then you have probably heard of them. They also do most of the machining on the rebuilds for TiC.

First of all, the owner Paul is very knowledgeable and helpful. I can not express enough how opposite this experience was from Benson racing. Paul does all of the porting work himself and they have a machinist that works a few nights a week and has been doing this for many years.

If you look back a few updates ago when I posted the plan for the heads you will see that the goal was to do a bowl blend, open up the intake ports a bit and gasket match them, the plan on the exhaust side was to clean up the ports and round out the corners. They also cut the seats for the oversize valves. The results were excellent and I was very pleased with the results, I did decide to make a few changes after getting them back including polishing the chambers a bit more and polishing the exhaust ports. I also opened up the intake ports a little bit more. The intake ports are now large enough that the oil galley plugs fit them, these are not hugh but IMO they dont need to be over done. Here are the pics of the heads:

The black areas are where I removed a bit more material from the intake ports, I also opened up the whole thing and raised the rood a bit more and straightened out the transition. This is the before pic:

Here you can see one of the exhaust ports as I got it back from Paul's. You can see that the sharp corner in the dogleg has been smoothed out and the ports have been opened up a bit, the ports were not gasket matched, the outlet of the ports are identical to the stock heads for reasons previously explained in detail. As you can see the dinal finish was with a 120 grit roll, I decided to polish them with the cross buffs:

I relapped the valves after polishing the chambers and the exhaust ports just to make sure everything sealed well even though I made sure not to contact the valve seats, the extra effort didn't hurt anything and it was good assurance:

Everything then went in the "hot tank" aka Dishwasher to be cleaned:

Here are the end results, polished chambers with the Supertech Valves:

Bowl Blend and the cut valve seats:

Intake Port:

Polished Exhaust Ports:

That's if for now, like I said the block is getting honed as we speak, it is supposed to be finished this week. The initial plan is to find time next week where assembly attempt can be completed, in the mean time I am going to do a little work on the oil pump so I will post those pics later.

Feel free to comment on or discuss the above information, there is still time for changes if someone sees something they think may be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,716 Posts

You guys with the dishwasher are killing me.....(great idea I might add).

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

Looking good pat! You ran the heads through a couple times or only once?

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,198

Looking good pat! You ran the heads through a couple times or only once?
Just once, they were hot tanked at the machine shop once I just need to clean out the lapping compound and any chips/dust from what I did.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,199

You guys with the dishwasher are killing me.....(great idea I might add).
One of the perks of having an apartment I could not care less about lol

1181 - 1200 of 1818 Posts