IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have come to understand that the smell from an exhaust with no cats is pretty bad and noticeable. But, what if I keep the cat in the midpipe, just getting rid of the cat in the downpipe. Either way, it is not California CARB legal. I would really like to avoid the smell, and if I don't have to buy an uber-spendy catted DP that would be great.

One more question, will the Helix catless DP bolt to a stock midpipe/catback?

thanks in advance

Ryan

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Keeping the cat in the midpipe will eat all the smell, and provide many of the gains a catless setup will give. I ran a short downpipe, while maintaing the stock 2nd cat for over a year and loved it. I upgraded the setup with a high-flow cat in the midpipe position, and it netted more power.

The cat just needs time to warm up, and it will quickly eliminate any smell or evidence of dropping a cat.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JJ18Sniper said:
Keeping the cat in the midpipe will eat all the smell, and provide many of the gains a catless setup will give. I ran a short downpipe, while maintaing the stock 2nd cat for over a year and loved it. I upgraded the setup with a high-flow cat in the midpipe position, and it netted more power.

The cat just needs time to warm up, and it will quickly eliminate any smell or evidence of dropping a cat.

Were you running the Stromung? Any idea who else makes shorty DPs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.