IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been smelling some kind of burning smell whenever im driving hard or uphill.
anyone know what is wrong or if anything is being damaged??

sorry if theres similar post already...i couldnt find it.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
If it smells like esparagus, its the clutch.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Its most likely your clutch, you say it smells on a hill, because you are probably stopping and going, and if you dont have the technique down, you will burn the clutch

·
Registered
333 Posts
clutch ftw. brakes smell simliar but that'd be more likely downhill than uphill. if you smell the clutch when you're just driving uphill, not stopping/starting, i'd say you're probably due for a new clutch.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
my cars been smelling like its burning lately to and no way its the clutch... plus it seem like my car doesnt want to hit full boost could it be a leak?

·
Registered
9 Posts
well it's good to know that i'm not the only one that has that problem. I bought mine with 6k miles on it and since i've had it, it smells when i drive hard too. prolly is a clutch like everybody else has said; i guess its just hard to believe somebody can burn up a clutch so badly in the 6k miles before i got it...:D

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Ya, if you are stinking durring hard driving it is a sign your clutch is on the way out. It does not always have to be bad technique (though it usually is). When the clutch starts loosing clamping force peak boost will cause the fully engaged clutch to slip and make the stinky clutch smell regardless of technique. But regardless of cause, you are going to need to replace it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
maybe a squirel crawled up your exhaust pipe and got stuck in the downpipe :notsure:

Or your cat could be clogged...do you have an aftermarket downpipe or intake ?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
im pretty sure catless smells and clutch smells are totally different.
right?

To me, catless is the ever-so-beautiful scent of rotten eggs. Whereas, clutch is just smells like burnt rubber and fire. hmm?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts