IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up everyone? I'm new to this forum, and I don't exactly have a Subaru YET... but I was wondering if Silverline Automotive in Portland is an OK place to buy a WRX from? I know their cars are salvaged, but the prices are just too sweet to pass up. Also, I took a test drive in one of their 2006 STI's and it drove better than any other clean titled car I've driven (even though I haven't driven a ton). If you wanted to spend somewhere in the range of $15-16K, would you buy a salvaged car? Or would you buy an older clean title with a lot of miles?

On a side note, I was wondering why 2008 WRX's are so cheap compared to 06's and 07's. Theres a clean title 08 WRX with 15K miles on it for like $19K... kinda makes me wonder.

I know the risks of buying a salvaged car and I don't need a lecture on that, I'm just wondering if Silverline Automotive is a legit place to buy one? I mean, a salvaged vehicle isn't thaaaat bad if it was fixed up the right way.

Thanks for the help guys (by the way, I would post a poll on here but I'm not sure how to do it)

·
Registered
1 Posts
DO NOT BUY FROM THIS DEALERSHIP!!!!! VERY SCANDALOUS. THEY DON'T SHOW CARFAX BECAUSE ALL CARS HAVE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEM. I went to look at a 2006 Subaru WRX, it was listed for 16,100 online, when I got there he said it was 16,600. The person that helped me DID NOT WANT TO show me the carfax, and wouldn't pay for it. I had to throw down a $500 deposit to see the carfax, I was told the deposit was refundable, but the owner Matthew Peck, lied and said it wasn't. He finally agreed to refund me the deposit, minus the cost of the carfax he used. The car fax came back with an accident. I told him id be back tomorrow, so I went online the same night and looked at the car with Authocheck.com, the car came back with FRAME DAMAGE, and it said it is not a good idea to buy the car. Matthew Peck denied the damage and wouldn't admit that he was trying to sell a faulty car. I knew I should have never came to this place. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU, they just want their money. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!! I LEARNED MY LESSON!! THEY KEPT INSISTING THAT CAR FAX WAS NOT ACCURATE AND THAT AUTOCHECK.COM WAS PRIMARILY USED ON THE EAST COAST AND WAS NOT RELEVANT. WELL, TURNS OUT THE WRX I WAS GOING TO BUY IS FROM VIRGINIA!!!!!! THE EAST COST, IT WAS REPOSSESSED AND WAS IN AN AUTO ACCIDENT AND WAS AUCTIONED OFF FOR CHEAP DUE TO "BINARY/FRAME DAMAGE", AUTOCHECK WAS HELPFUL!!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM, EVER!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
besides this comment above me, who else has anything to say? and/or did you find out any "good" information on the dealership?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My buddy Bought a 04 Sti from silverline and has put about 40k miles on it since with no problems. The thing you gotta realize is salvage is not always a bad deal I own a 05 STI that previously had rear end damage but it was repaired by a very good shop and you would never know the difference. The key to buying a salvage vehicle is knowing the history of the accident(which portion of the car got hit).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anything else on these guys? NASIOC has some more negative feedback, but positive as well. I'm not against buying an R title, I am against buying one from a shady dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well thats good to hear. It's nice to know they take care of the rebuild and it shows.. im just curious to how long these cars will last. What kind of deals are thrown? How much did your buddy end up paying for his STI? And what was the price before the sale?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Last November, after weighing my options of buying a new WRX or a salvaged STI, I purchased a 2008 STI from Silverline in Portland. It was a salvage (not a driving accident; the fan shroud caught and the engine caught fire), and the STI had 4,400 miles on it. The engine was replaced (obviously) with another motor that had 7,000 miles on it. Initially everything went fine and the car drove like the new STI's I test drove at the dealership. Then after a month or so, I started noticing some wheel wobble in my front passenger-side wheel. Thinking it was probably a bushing or something, I took it to the Subaru dealership. They replaced both front axles (without contacting me, like I had asked) and claimed the problem was fixed. After a few days, I noticed the wheel wobble was back. Getting sick of it and feeling slightly unsafe, I pursued the problem even more, going to a tire shop. We put the STI on a lift, and immediately we noticed that the bolt on the front passenger A-arm was missing the nut... You can probably guess what would have happened if that bolt had slipped out of the A-arm while I was driving. Anyway, thanks to the crappy service at my local service Subaru dealership, I payed $800 for a $.50 job. And yes, I was fully aware this was the kind of risk I was taking when buying a salvaged vehicle. I love the STI regardless of that small incident, and I don't regret buying it as a salvage at all! I give Silverline a thumbs-up for their good deals and good overall service. (except for forgetting to tighten/ put on the nut on the a-arm)...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought mine from there over a year ago (before reading anything about them on the internet) and had no major problems with the car. Mine was a clear title car though.
Something you can do is google the VIN and see if it comes up on any salvage websites, sometimes you'll even get lucky and it'll have some pictures and you can get an idea what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DO NOT BUY FROM SILVERLINE AUTOMOTIVE. THEY ARE ONE OF THE 3 SHADY ASS DEALERSHIPS IN PORTLAND, INCLUDING DC MOTORZ AND JORDAN MOTORZ. THEY ARE ALL BUDDY'S AND ONLY, ONLY CARE ABOUT YOUR MONEY!!!! DON'T BE A FOOL AND BUY CARS FROM THESE 3 DEALERSHIPS!! YOU WILL GET RIP OFF!! THEIR PRICE ARE NICE RIGHT?? SO IF THE PRICE ARE CHEAP, DOES THAT MAKE YOU WONDER IF THEY ARE MAKING A PROFIT AT ALL? FOR EXAMPLE. JORDAN MOTORZ HAS A MERCEDES SLS 63AMG THAT WAS FOR SALE AT ONE POINT FOR 190k NOW IT'S FOR SALE FOR ABOUT 140k AND IM SURE THEY'RE STILL MAKING A PROFIT. BUT LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE, 50K DIFFERENCE AND THE PRICE DROP!!!! SO YOU KNOW THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY!! SILVERLINE'S CARS ARE ALL SALVAGE TITLE IF NOT, THERE WAS A FIX IN THE TITLE BY TAKING THE CAR TO ANOTHER STATE WHERE IT WOULD PASS ALL INSPECTIONS TO CLEAR THE TITLE. ALSO, I KNOW DC MOTORS OWNED A WHITE AUDI R8 THAT'S WAS IN A FRONT END CAR ACCIDENT THAT WAS NOT CLAIM THRU INSURANCE SO THAT IT WOULD EFECT CARFAX AND DEPRECIATION VALUAE IF THE CAR. SO THEY FIXED IT OUT OF POCKET!! SHADY ASS PEOPLE THAT ONLY CAR ABOUT MONEY. BE CAREFUL WITH THE MILES THOSE CARS COME WITH BECAUSE I ALSO HEARD THEY TRACK BACK THE MILES TO RACK UP THE PRICE ON THE CARS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am thinking about having Silverline Automotive do a full engine rebuild on my Subaru Impreza 02 WRX. How is their service department and do they warranty their work?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought my 07 STI from them and have had no major problems, just minor problems that are probably not even related to them tho. Mine was owned by another person and was being sold through them and he had put on around 15k miles before I had bought it. It does have a branded title. I have heard good and bad things about them so I cannot really say do or don't buy from them, its kind of hit and miss.

Edit: Sorry if this bumps but I needed to say this. So basically a week after this post my engine blew and i'm now gonna be spending a lot of money to get it fixed. I was on the fence before about this company and now after this happened I will never suggest this company to anyone, nor will I ever support them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought mine from there over a year ago (before reading anything about them on the internet) and had no major problems with the car. Mine was a clear title car though.
Something you can do is google the VIN and see if it comes up on any salvage websites, sometimes you'll even get lucky and it'll have some pictures and you can get an idea what you're dealing with.
I had a leak in my trunk, and when I took it to a body shop (Leif's in Tigard) they showed me where SL basically welded (poorly) some scrap metal over some spots where the body seams had split (car had a clean title, but had been hit in the rear) and used some cheap seam filler (possibly weather strip adhesive) to sort of put it together. Not a big deal but if they do this kind of work on something that simple, I'd be horrified to see what kind of engine work they do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts