IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STi Zaino'd and my STi now has pink eye!

Finally picked up my car yesterday at 6:00 pm. I put my deposit down in February. My car was due Sept 18 but Hurricane Isable added a month delay.

My background:
Never driven a performance car. Never owned a Subbie (so I'm not a Subbie fanatic (yet :) ). 41 years old.

Color:
Silver/Silver

Options:
-Armrest extention
-Security Upgrade
-Auto dimming mirror
-Foglights
-Canadian STi mats
-Wheel Locks
-Castrol SRF brake fluid

Dealer/Salesperson:
-Perfromance Subaru in Chapel Hill. Jamie Stockman was the salesperson. He did a fantastic job, a true professional. I enjoyed working with him.

First Impression:
The exhaust rumble is very deep and pleasing to the ear. Me like :)

First Drive:
This is the easiest shifting car that I've ever driven. More importantly, the STi is so easy to drive that you forget there's a beast within. I grudgingly let my wife drive during the test drive and she felt the same way. My fears of the car having a hair trigger fell away immediately. It's easy to drive slowly. Daily driver..Yes.

Noise:
I was prepared for a loud drive. It's not bad at all. The only time I though the noise was loud was when I was on a county road that was rough. Other than that, I find it very liveable.

Extended drive observations:
I added 150 miles today, mostly driving around town to keep the rpm's varying. I set the shift buzzer at 4k rpm and did not push to it until I got over 100 miles. I did some half throttle runs in second and third and noticed that by the time I reacted to the buzzer that car was well over 5k rpm. I hit 6k once (not WOT) toward the end of my drive. Not on purpose, I have some reaction skills to aquire I guess. Even though I'm not a performance driver by any means, I noticed how well the car tracks on banked turns. I ket the throttle steady, or added to it, around many turns only to find out that the car took my input in stride. It wants more, but that's for another time and place after breakin. I also did a highway run of about 15 miles each way. Was amazed to see that you can easily accelerate while in 6th gear at 2300 rpms. 60-80 with a lightly depressed throttle was easy and felt so smooth. I also noticed that I spend a lot of time in 5th gear. The first 4 go so quickly when driving around town. I seem to shift in the range of 3200-3400 rpms mostly due to the fact that I'm guaging shift points by the sound of the turbo whirring away. It sounds like it starts to scream so I find myself going up a gear...is this what you folks do??

My wife drove back from our highway run. I let her know that the shift buzzer indicates the max rpm she should be at. So, she hits the buzzer in 2nd and 3rd (partial throttle, not WOT) and gets a big A$$ grin on her face. She's not a fan of the looks of the car but she's been won over by the fun factor.

Mods:
Wife and I will do the phase one Evolution school in March, as well as the Good Boys run at VIR. My breakin will most likely be done by early December (I have a long vacation in November) so I will miss all driving schools for the remainder of this year.

Cleaning:
I used P21S on the wheels today and all the brake dust washed away wtih a hose. Great stuff. I still got in there with a brush but each wheel took all of 2 minutes to clean. It's never been this easy on either of my Volvo's, which dust up pretty good too.

I used P21S car shampoo today as well. No feedback as it was almost dark by the time I was done.

Overall:
Damn, what a fun car. I bought the STi to 'learn to drive' in and I can't think of a better car for this purpose. It's tame when you want it to be and, even though I've only seen a hint of what it can do, it's going to be a beast when fed properly.

I'm going to try to attach some pics...Hope they come across.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
congrats!!! great looking car! :D

i am planning to use p21s or sonax or zymol shampoo when i get my new sti. i am gonna clean her well and take care of her too.

M

·
0 Posts
mx-9, nice car, congratulations.

Once you get used to it, I don't think you'll be shifting at 3200 anymore, because thats when all the fun is starting!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks! I'm having such a blast with this car and it's only the beginning. On my way back from lunch today I took an S-curve at 3800rpms in 3rd gear. The car stuck like glue. I didn't go out of my lane and there was no tire screech. I'm looking forward to one of those closed-course classes so that I can fully understand my limits and the cars' limits.

Whew-Hoooooo!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Finally, you got it!!!!! Congrats :D You will have to come out to sanford on sunday and hang out. A perfect opportunity to put miles on your car. there will be a couple of ohter STi's out there. It is the final event this year and some of the points races are very close. Should be fun.

Congrats again.
Marcus

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Nice car, great house.. Enjoy the ride.. Quick quesiton.. How did u install the fogs? Dealer installed? How much he charged for it?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Amdmax. I paid $210, dealer installed. Dealer agreed to split the total cost of $420 since my car's delivery date slipped.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stiski said:
Finally, you got it!!!!! Congrats :D You will have to come out to sanford on sunday and hang out. A perfect opportunity to put miles on your car. there will be a couple of ohter STi's out there. It is the final event this year and some of the points races are very close. Should be fun.

Congrats again.
Marcus
Thanks Marcus. Where is the autocross held? I may drive over if I'm not in the mountains.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is at the old airport in sanford. I trust you know where devils ridge is. You turn left off of Hwy 1 where you would trun right to get to devils ridge. Hope to see you and any other local STi's there. Going to try and post a link to dirictions. First car off is 10ish. Sanford, NC

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, the link did not work. They usually have a couple of cones at he entrance to the airport.

From Raleigh:
Take US 1 South.
Go approximately 35 miles south of the US 1 and US 64 West split near Raleigh.
Just past the Sanford exits, turn left onto Hwy 78, (also known as Tramway Road) at the stoplight. (Tramway Shopping Center is on the right just before the light and a Hardees is on the left.)
Go 2.1 miles on Hwy 78.
Turn right onto Airport Road (3rd paved road on right).
Follow this road to the entrance of the old airport.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Schroth Rallye 4 Harness from SoloRacer.Com Installed!

Thanks for the directions Marcus. I'll most likely drop in at 10:00 for an hour or so. Gotta do a lot of driving to get the breakin over with. Working 8 miles from home is usually a good thing but it sure is keeping the odometer low.......

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I live in western Cary near the High House and 55 intersection. I've yet to see another STi near there but do think I've seen two EVO's.

·
Registered
347 Posts
looks great, and nice house, too. once you're broken in you gotta spank your neighbors bmw!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts