IW STi Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build - Progress!

ALRIGHT!!!
Finally got the RCE T2's back from KW for rebuilds on all four. Much thanks to RaceCompEngineering for the help in order to get the rebuilds they so desperately needed.

So much wow right now.
I can't wait to get these back in and get this thing back on the road again. Going on vacation for 2 weeks so I won't get to it until I get back but... I'm hopeful I can possibly make it to a race in Oct/Nov this year.
So they are in the box for now until I get back.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build - DONE! Ready to Race!

Alright, well it's been a little bit but good things have happened. The car is all buttoned up, topped off, and most importantly, ready to race! Finished up last week with installing the coilovers and setting the ride heights and getting it where I think it should be as far as tire travel goes. I might take it down if I find my videos show no hitting of the frame under heavy turn stress but I'll wait until I get to that point first.
Going in for an alignment next week and then... I wait until race day. Unfortunately the way events turn out, January 4 2015 is the next race I'll be here for. Should be dying by then to get out there. In the meantime, I'll be cleaning my seats/carpet/mats with a steam cleaner an getting it back to "nice interior" instead of yick!

Cheers!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)

Of course, once you get it all back together, and have a little time to wait, you want to do something else. So.. Cleaned the entire interior top to bottom including front/rear seats and all the carpet. Then I decided to finally get a harness and hook that up. Currently drilling holes and welding in plates for the lap and submarine belts. 6point. And finally, I think... i'm just going to get a seat for it. Looking at Status racing's Ring GT seat /w buddy club rails. We'll see.

Finally going in for alignment this week as I made some more adjustments to the suspension height.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Be safe out there.

·
Registered
348 Posts

As a 30 year resident of Michigan, I'm curious where someone from Hawaii goes for Vacation?

I installed my RCE T2's at the beginning of this past season, I got 4 track days in this year and I really loved them!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #107

As a 30 year resident of Michigan, I'm curious where someone from Hawaii goes for Vacation?

I installed my RCE T2's at the beginning of this past season, I got 4 track days in this year and I really loved them!!
Heya bossdog, that's actually a pretty good question. For most of people from Hawaii, they goto Las Vegas every chance they get. It's considered a "second home" to most. No legalized form of gambling/lotto/nada around here so.. people get itchy. Hawaiian's love to gamble too. Me? Anywhere off this rock when I start to get "island fever". All my family is back in Wisconsin so.. if there's ever a choice that I can get back there, I take it.

That's awesome about the T2's. I've had a very limited test range to try things out since I installed them. And then I took them out and upgraded the springs so I have yet to try out the 600LB/Front , 500LB/Rear combo yet. January I have 1 autocross race and I lucked out for an Evolution driving school slot. So I'll really get to throw the car around at Evo school. Should be a blast.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Heya bossdog, that's actually a pretty good question. For most of people from Hawaii, they goto Las Vegas every chance they get. It's considered a "second home" to most. No legalized form of gambling/lotto/nada around here so.. people get itchy. Hawaiian's love to gamble too. Me? Anywhere off this rock when I start to get "island fever". All my family is back in Wisconsin so.. if there's ever a choice that I can get back there, I take it.

That's awesome about the T2's. I've had a very limited test range to try things out since I installed them. And then I took them out and upgraded the springs so I have yet to try out the 600LB/Front , 500LB/Rear combo yet. January I have 1 autocross race and I lucked out for an Evolution driving school slot. So I'll really get to throw the car around at Evo school. Should be a blast.
Sigterm,
I am also from Wisconsin, born in Neenah, my wife is from Menasha. I too participated in a Evolution Driving school a few years back (with my Mustang) in Cincinnati, those gusy are great! I haven't been in my Subie yet. I also have a sister Subie to yours:

Have a Great upcoming Holiday!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

How much did the KW rebuild cost you , I am looking at grabbing a set of used V3s or T2s as well

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #110

Sigterm,
I am also from Wisconsin, born in Neenah, my wife is from Menasha. I too participated in a Evolution Driving school a few years back (with my Mustang) in Cincinnati, those gusy are great! I haven't been in my Subie yet. I also have a sister Subie to yours.

Have a Great upcoming Holiday!
Oh how small this world is sometimes. I've been to Nennah a few times here and there. Usually on the way to a Packers game! I was up at Antigo for a while then down at Reedsburg(Wis Dells). Fun times, I miss having a "snow season" for the subies.

Evolution schools are just so much fun. I went a few years ago and had such a good time I couldn't wait for them to come back and do it again. Got my chance I guess.

That STi of yours is looking good! I see what you're saying about being a sister. Haha Nice work! Happy Holidays to you too buddy, take care.

How much did the KW rebuild cost you , I am looking at grabbing a set of used V3s or T2s as well
I had it done through Racecomp Engineering. They build the KW workorder and give you the info to send it off to KW for rebuilds. I believe it was a maximum of $180/shock. You pay the shipping there, they ship it back on their dime. If the shocks need it, it's definitely worth it to get back brand new internals and such. Worked like a charm for me.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Oh how small this world is sometimes. I've been to Nennah a few times here and there. Usually on the way to a Packers game! I was up at Antigo for a while then down at Reedsburg(Wis Dells). Fun times, I miss having a "snow season" for the subies.

Evolution schools are just so much fun. I went a few years ago and had such a good time I couldn't wait for them to come back and do it again. Got my chance I guess.

That STi of yours is looking good! I see what you're saying about being a sister. Haha Nice work! Happy Holidays to you too buddy, take care.

I had it done through Racecomp Engineering. They build the KW workorder and give you the info to send it off to KW for rebuilds. I believe it was a maximum of $180/shock. You pay the shipping there, they ship it back on their dime. If the shocks need it, it's definitely worth it to get back brand new internals and such. Worked like a charm for me.
Good luck!
Thanks

that is not too bad at all , time to hunt for a used set !

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

Got a little something in the mail today.

Unfortunately at the same time almost, I got an email from the vendor which I bought a race seat at, that the product wouldn't be ready for shipping for 3+ weeks! :/ Hopefully I get the chance to put it all in before the race in January. In the meantime i still have to weld in some plates for the harness's and such.

Swapped out the G200 exhaust for an N1 race. I was missing me some rumble. Glad to have it back.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM - 1 Race down, next up EVO School.

So I finally made it back out to AutoX Hawaii in the middle of the season. Triple checked everything to make sure it was tip top, then checked it again just to be sure. Everything went perfect in the end. My only complaint was using my old V710 285/30/18 tires. They had a season on them, were hard as a rock and slid a bit. Was a bit "Dukes of Hazzard'ish" if you get what I mean about sliding around a bit. But aside from that, when I compared my times with the SM class(I was running in a PAX class) I was 2nd place only by a tenth. So I felt pretty good about it that with those crappy tires, I still drove it like a stole it and did well. A few pics from the day below, the video I might put up, depends on the quality I got.

Obligatory "w00t" :D

Photo credit to: Fraser Crane out of Baltimore. Thanks!

·
Banned
182 Posts

Great autocross shots!

The bet the dampers feel great post-rebuild.

Do you plan on splicing together videos of your fastest runs? :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #115

Great autocross shots!

The bet the dampers feel great post-rebuild.

Do you plan on splicing together videos of your fastest runs? :)
Hello Olsen Motorsports! Yea the pics came out fantastic for sure.
The Tarmac 2's felt amazing. Glad I had them rebuilt , they just suck the road right up and the car handles like a dream now. I'll be repping some new rubber for the next race so that will be a true test. For EVO school there are so many runs that I can't afford to burn up a set of race rubber. Sure wish I could though.

I'm trying to put a video together, I'm not the best at videography though so it might take a while. hah!

Thanks for stopping in, awesome work on those Porsche's.

·
Banned
182 Posts

Hello Olsen Motorsports! Yea the pics came out fantastic for sure.
The Tarmac 2's felt amazing. Glad I had them rebuilt , they just suck the road right up and the car handles like a dream now. I'll be repping some new rubber for the next race so that will be a true test. For EVO school there are so many runs that I can't afford to burn up a set of race rubber. Sure wish I could though.

I'm trying to put a video together, I'm not the best at videography though so it might take a while. hah!

Thanks for stopping in, awesome work on those Porsche's.
Thanks for the kind words! We're really trying our best to do what we can with all car makes and models!

Great to hear you're enjoying the newly refinished dampers.

What tires do you plan on working with for the next race?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #117

Thanks for the kind words! We're really trying our best to do what we can with all car makes and models!

Great to hear you're enjoying the newly refinished dampers.

What tires do you plan on working with for the next race?
Well you do a heck of a job at what cars you deal with. Nice job at Sebring! Very impressive.

They actually are working pretty well out there. Few adjustments here and there but the real test is to see how it does after these 30 runs or so i'll be doing Monday. That should provide some excellent data to work with and not just from me, the instructors will be driving it as well so that will be a bonus. I wish we had a longer track or somewhere I could take it up to speed to really dial things in but.. that'll have to wait. Next summer I'm hoping to ship the car to CA and hit the tracks there for a few months.

As for the tires, they won't make it in time so it will be a mix of the old rubber and some new'ish A6 275's my buddy is letting me have for cheap. Should still work with what I have and be good.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #118

Well Evo school was a blast as always. Tons of driving, advice, and a great weekend weather wise to let it all happen. Huge thanks to Evolution Performance Driving School and their instructors. Great bunch of guys that go wayyy beyond the call of helping out drivers.

Chris Carris
Eric Clements
Tom Kotzian
Brian Peters

The Evolution Performance Driving School - Building Champions since 1993 - Autocross, Driver School, HPDE, License

The good:
30+ Runs for some serious seat time and getting to know the car all over again. Was a good chance to dial it all in and get it just right. The instructors also chimed in on what could be a little better and how maybe to get there. Fortunately for my car, 3 instructors said "just drive it, the car is golden and has the potential"

Picked up some excellent tips from our instructors and started applying one by one into my driving. A few helped, a few hurt but I'll learn nevertheless. These guys just open up your eyes to what you "can" do that you are timid about. I always classify myself as one of the most aggressive drivers on the track no matter where that may be. So when I was told to hold down the throttle even longer, I had to look at the instructor a few times and blink my eyes in disbelief. He was right all the way... Talk about an eye opener.

A few pics:

The bad:
Tires are absolutely shot and in the trash....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM/PAX

Nice, I really want to do that this year. I have some learnings to do.

Also, I just noticed the photo credit name a few posts back. Fraser Crane :lol:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM/PAX

Nice, I really want to do that this year. I have some learnings to do.

Also, I just noticed the photo credit name a few posts back. Fraser Crane :lol:
Honestly, it's the best bang for your buck if you can get them out to your club. Each day is 30+ runs and your brain will go into overload with what they deliver. Out of all the schools I've gone to, I've learned the most from these guys. And.. you get to use "your" car.

Like that photo credit do ya? :D

101 - 120 of 135 Posts