IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build - GS hood struts, Tigwerks Mounts

Well I've had a few days off and a little bit of time to get some things ordered and installed. Nothing too much but, I thought it was good enough to post.
I first bought some motor mounts from Tigwerks, as always, he has awesome stuff and I get my meaty hands on everything he has pretty much. Haven't got around to installing these bad boys yet but.. I'm sure after xmas is done and over with, I'll add it to my list of things to do and get them installed.
pics!

I also got in on the GrimmSpeed GroupBuy for the hood struts. These... are a blessing, I absolutely love them and can't say enough about them. They go... ALL the way up like a strut should. Here's a pic installed, quite crappy... but i plan to go back and change it later when I take the Nikon outside.

Merry Christmas all. Cheers!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build - Grimmspeed hood struts, Tigwerks M Mounts

Rear end almost completed, ready to torque it all down and be done with it!
Can't wait to get it back on the road again, it's downright painful!

Happy New Year IWSTI! :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build - Grimmspeed hood struts, Tigwerks M Mounts

After the packers lost this weekend, I needed to take out some frustration. I went out to the garage and started taking off the Control Arms. More bushing fun begins!
One thing to note, the Pitman Arm Puller... omg, that thing is the absolute bomb for doing that type of work. literally 1 minute per and no damage to the boots which is what I was mainly concerned with. Time to press out all the old stuff and in with the new!
Maybe i'll clean these things up a bit too while I'm at it, yick!

Cheers!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build - Control Arm Fun!

Question for you all when you change out the Big Bushing on the Lower Control Arm. Those rubber washers?(the thin ones) stay on either side of the metal washer correct?

In order:
22mmNut--MetalWasher-Rubberwasher-Bushing-Rubberwasher-MetalWasher-

For some reason... with the TiC replacement bushing, thought these were negated. Reason being, when I tighten things up, there's a gap.
thanks for any replies/responses, appreciate it.

<EDIT> got that figured out, thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build - Progress!

LCA's going back in tomorrow! One step closer to getting her back on the road!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

So I dusted off the car and started back to work on it recently. Installing the Control Arms is just... such a pain! Seems like it if you go for the free caster mod by reversing the frame connector on the control arm it gets very difficult to fit back in its correct place. Looking for some hints on this because it's driving me nutty trying to get it all back in there nicely.

Wired in some goodies for the cockpit, pics later on that :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)

Very nice, just went thru your build, enjoy it very much...in to see more!!
Thanks! More coming soon for sure!

Control arms are back on the car finally. Just putting the rest of the suspension components back together.
I took off the subframe and sanded it down where it was a little rusty and gave it a fresh coat of paint.(I'll post a few pics later).
Removed all the transmission bracing and will install the bushings and trans mount when I get it in from ordering this week.

I waited a while for Tigwerks to come through on production of the transmission mount but... I can't wait any longer.

So as of this morning I just ordered up the last of everything to get it back up and running.

Mishimoto X-line Radiator + cap
Gates hoses
T-bolt clamps
Timing belt tool for gates timing belt kit.
Torque Solution Transmission mount
Kartboy Transmission bushings

So to do:
Torque Solutions Transmssion mount (Cygnus Performance, thanks Geoff!)
Kartboy Transmission brace bushings
Tigwerks Motor Mounts
Steering rack bushings when car has all suspension and wheels back on ground/ramps.
Check torque settings on everything in the lower front
Install timing belt kit /w water pump
Install radiator and hoses + fluids

Crank it up it and let her rip! Hopefully not too much to track down on "new noises" :)

Should be an eye opener in less than a month.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

Finally after quite some time, found the wife the forester xt she wanted. In hawaii no less... I always thought I'd have to travel and ship it back but... I had luck on my side this time.
Few quick pics :)
2007 Forester XT Urban Gray.

So with of course, it needs a few things that neglects me from finishing up the STi for autox season starting in July. We'll see how this goes. Parts ordering!!! :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

Getting my arse in gear lately and wanting to finish this thing off finally. The forester has been taking up most of my time lately. Radiator blew in it the other day so... fixing that.

Tigwerks motor mounts installed. I have to say, these are just fantastic pieces of brilliance. I went with the stiffer bushings because in the end... who cares about nvh, that's what subies do right? :)

Also installed the driveline goodies. Torque Solutions Trans mount, Kartboy trans bushings. Of course, it wouldn't be complete without having to put a few helicoils in.

Sunday I plan to button up the bottom and torque everything and go topside finally for the timing belt /w water pump and finally put the radiator on this bad boy. Can't wait!

Threw on my euro plate just for fun as well.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

Alright, UPDATE!
The good:
Have most of the underneath torqued and ready for the subframe to go back on. I have it sitting on the ramps right now actually, which is a miracle in itself. Basically, I'm going to do the timing belt and radiator this week(end) and it'll be able to fire up. Have to buy a new battery since my red top kicked the bucket.

The bad:
I was torquing the top hats 14.9ft-lbs and the screw on the tarmac2 sheared right off. So... I have to take that one off completely, drill out the bolt and put a new one and tack weld it. Then adjustment of the coilovers begins. At least it will be able to roll out of it's inhabited spot for the past 9 months.

cheers!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

9 months! :eek: Going with a light weight fancypants battery?
I don't know just yet about that. I've been thinking about it, but then again, maybe I'll just go with another red top and make sure I keep my receipt this time!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build - at 90% mark

So this weekend I really got busy with this thing with the help of a friend from autox. Started out late on Saturday morning removing the timing belt, water pump and thermostat. Taking off a few of those hoses is a pain in the butt! Needed one of those angled needle nose pliers but managed.

Timing belt went on easy enough. Highly recommend the Company 23 camlock and pulley removal bar as it made things cake!

After that, I had to goto a friends party so, Sunday... I started up on installing the Mishimoto X-line radiator. Massive mistake on ordering this thing honestly. The amount of work it takes to get it in there correctly is almost too much.

So, install the radiator, fans, hoses etc. I found out really quick that I needed to relocate the coolant overflow tank. Really quick... The hoses that I have yet to put on are really close as well. Lastly the tube metal that runs over the cam gears and connects via rubber hose to both the overflow tank and the top of the radiator doesn't fit at all now. So... i'll just run a hose, zip tie it and be done with it. Ordered up a weapon r coolant overflow/windshield washer tank so i could relocate the coolant tank. 100.00, well spent. I have to see if I'm going to paint it black before it goes in the engine bay. It's almost too.... blingy for my tastes. The radiator alone was too shiny!

Also the Grimmspeed radiator shroud didn't fit after this either. My dremel skills need some work but I made it fit in there correctly and not look too horrible. I think...
Very sunny when I was trying to take a shot and I was under the influence later so... would of been worse :)

Next up, battery, tightening up the control arms tonight after it's sitting on the ground.
Then finally repairing the nut that I broke off of the ground control top plates when my torque wrench broke the other day and gave me 50lbs instead of 15. Yee Haw....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

So glad I initially went with the koyo :) (sorry :lol:) Rad shroud looks good to me! I'll probably invest in the timing belt tools for next time. It was a PITA using vice grips lol

Get that bish fired up!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

So glad I initially went with the koyo :) (sorry :lol:) Rad shroud looks good to me! I'll probably invest in the timing belt tools for next time. It was a PITA using vice grips lol

Get that bish fired up!
Totally regretting the Mishimoto but... hopefully it cools it no matter if it's time attack or just out on the autox course. When it's all said and done, I'm sure I'll still have a smile.

I'd never do it again without the Company 23 tools honestly. It made it so easy that I felt like the biggest idiot for not getting it sooner all these years. The camlock tool is where it's at. It made a world of difference.

As for firing it up... coolant/washer fluid tank came today. Going to get some 5/16 radiator lines and a t-hose adapter and get it all on there tonight. Going to recheck things down below one last time before attaching the "Costco" battery I picked up. LOL I'll get a fancy shmancy lightweight one before race day. :rofl:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

Got my spot for Test -n- Tune at Aloha Stadium. July 27th 7am... Yee Hawwww!
Have to setup a few video sources for that day. Lots of tuning to do.

·
Registered
159 Posts

So at some point, I'm more than likely going do exactly what you did and take off every suspension part, grind it, sand it, and paint it because of rust, other than heat and a Sawzall any big tips or pointers you'd give? I'm not going to do it any time soon but maybe next summer, just thought I'd pick your brain while I thought about it.

Car looks great BTW, keep it up!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #99

So at some point, I'm more than likely going do exactly what you did and take off every suspension part, grind it, sand it, and paint it because of rust, other than heat and a Sawzall any big tips or pointers you'd give? I'm not going to do it any time soon but maybe next summer, just thought I'd pick your brain while I thought about it.

Car looks great BTW, keep it up!
It's a long road but well worth it in the end. Plus... you get to learn how everything is bolted up and the way to do things. Frustrating though at times.
As far as tips and pointers, there's nothing really to say but have a torch, giant cheater bar, and a lift would be nice if you can to really get the angles you need.
Get ready to goto the dealer or suburugenuineparts.com for all the bolts as well.

I'd still do it all over again because swapping all those bushings out makes one hell of a difference overall. Best of luck on it!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #100

Some crappy news. Rear Tarmac 2 is spewing fluid. :/ Time to get in touch with KW again.
Yeee Haww for shipping charges 2 ways. Going to rebuild all 4 this time around and see how it goes.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts