IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sig's 2005 CGM STi Autox SM build

Short Opener: I've Been wanting to build a GD autox build now for a long while. I have been racing a GR type for the past few years but wanted to bump up in class(STU to SM) to something with even more zip and less rules to follow.

Anyhow, my wife knew I've been looking around for an 05 CGM STi for a while, and one that wasn't a frankenstein under the hood. Turns out, she found one. It was in Maui, Hawaii. I live on Oahu, so... that night, I called the guy, flew over, and it was pretty much a done deal. Shipped it back to Oahu and it went on jackstands the next day.
Let the ordering of parts begin.

Big Thanks to:
My wife(Cheryl), ripping parts, seats, brakes, wheels, painting calipers, you name it, she was doing it.
Chris Black @ AMS Nuff said... nothing but awesome there.
Geoff @ Cygnus Performance Tons of advice, and future orders coming up!
Daniel @ Boston Motorsports You sir.. are the man for parts.
Brian @Touge late nights of wrenching, help and suggestions, and... wisecracks. Lifesaver.

Tuning:
AMS Tuned by Chris Black
Cobb APv2
Rads Motorsports Dyno(Waipahu, HI): 304hp/330tq Nov-10/2012 @ 4:30pm Temp 86

Motor:
Stock Block
Spearco TMIC
Stock VF39 Turbo
DW 740CC Sidefeed Injectors
Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump
Subaru Fuel Pump Filter
AEM Cold Air Intake
Grimmspeed 3-port electronic boost control solonoid
Grimmspeed Turbo Heat Shield
Grimmspeed wastegate bracket VF
Invidia V2 Catless Bellmouth Downpipe
GrimmSpeed Uppipe EWG
Tial 44mm MVR Exhaust Wastegate (1 bar/14.55psi)
Invidia V2 Catless Bellmouth Downpipe 2 bung
DEI Titanium exhaust wrap and ties
Invidia N1 Race Cat-back Exhaust Burnt Ti Tip
KartBoy Exhaust 15mm Hangers (stock length)
Oil Sandwich adapter (oil pressure/temp sensors)
GrimmSpeed 160 Thermostat
Grimmspeed Radiator Shroud ***Nice!!!
Optima Red Battery
Power Steering Cooler (Redline power steering fluid)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Driveline:
Stock 6spd (Subaru S-type fluid)
Rear Diff (Subaru LSD fluid)
Kartboy Short Shifter
Kartboy Front/Rear Shifter Bushings
WC Latheworks Angry Rally Pig shift knob

Suspension:
RCE Tarmac II Coiliovers (rebuilt Sep 2014)
Hyperco 600lb front springs (6 inch)
Eibach 500lb rear springs (6 inch"
Ground Control Camber camber plates(front)
Cusco camber plates(rear)
TiC Rear Diff Bushings
TiC Lateral Link Bushings
TiC Rear Trailing Arm Front/Rear Bushings
TiC Rear Outrigger Bushings
TiC Front Control Arm Inner bushings
Whiteline Front Control Arm Outter bushings
Whiteline Front Swaybar 27mm
Whiteline Rear Swaybar 24mm
Whiteline Rear Swaybar HD Mounts
Kartboy Front/Rear Endlinks
Whiteline Front Strut Bar
Whiteline Rear Strut Bar
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Redline Power Steering fluid

Braking:
DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors Front/Rear (Kangaroo Paw)
Hawk HPS Brake Pads Front/Rear
Technique Stainless Brake Lines
Painted Brembo Calipers (G2 epoxy red)
ATE SuperBlue Brake Fluid

Wheels:
(Race)
Enkei RPF1 18x9.5 +44 Silver
Kumho V710 285/30/18
(Street)
Rota DPT 18x9.5 +40
Kumho 265x35x18
(Alternate Street)
BBS(stock)
BFG Rival 235/40/17

Interior:
ATI ClockPod
Prosport Halo Gauges Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Boost
SMY Clustermaker Dash Pod (A/F, Boost)
Innovate WideBand LC-1

External:
Hella SuperTones Horns
STi Vlip front lip replica
JDM Rear Spats(not painted/installed yet)
Debadged trunk
ZeroSports Front Grille
Rear Window Spoiler (off 06 STi)

##
Starting to take off the old stuff, it wasn't as fun as I thought it was going to be. When I bought the car, It looked from the outside to be "tip top" and the car was so low, I had to stick my phone underneath to get a picture(which it was dark when I did it) so I didn't exactly see all that salt rust. Suck. With that, the broken bolt/nut/stud tally ran a bit high... The front of the car wasn't so bad, the rear... it ate alot of salt I would assume. Among other things I broke all but 1 of the rear swaybar mounts to the frame. Major PITA if the car is in any way rusted back there. Tapped all of them 1 size up.

Trunk off to fix a rust spot, removed wing... heavily debated filling the holes and leaving it off but the wife says... leave it on, so it stays for a while longer... Sprayed trunk with some new paint(48W) and buffed it out. Purrty :) At the same time, I ripped out the Megan racing coilovers and kicked those to the curb in an effort to get something a little better for the first outings at AutoX. My buddy had a pair of Tein Flex coilovers in pretty good shape with only a 3k on them. So I installed those, no report on it yet, haven't really taken it out for a worthy cornering cruise yet.

I installed all the uppipe /w ewg flange, downpipe, CBE without any issues, pretty simple. I put a blocking plate from GrimmSpeed in the flange for the EWG at first. I wanted to start it up after I got everything back together and make sure it was good to go without having to mess with the wastegate. Put the Accessport in, loaded a stage2 map, and it started right up. It was time to put the wastegate and EBCS in then top it off with the Spearco TMIC. The Tial MV-R mating to the Grimmspeed uppipe /w ewg is.... to put it lightly, a PITA! I honesetly tried a few times, got frustrated, called the wife out to help me, still no luck. This happened twice, then I finally called up the muscle. Touge... Within a short while, it was in, I just needed more patience I guess and some confidence that it actually fit! It surely didn't look like it would go that's for sure...

##
The race to get it all back together.

It started out 5 days from the tune, and the feeling of total panic sunk in deep. I had the car literally in peices laying around the garage. My wife and I are also in the middle of moving from one house to the next, so things were really out of place through the process.
Touge and I started throwing the injectors and fuel pump in on monday evening, and after a while, it was in, but a dead battery wasn't able to push the fuel and prime the system to check for any leaks... Done for that night.
The next evening, we started at it again. Touge brought his starter/charger over, but... it had a grounding issue, didn't really work out too well. Started smoking even.... So out came the jumper cables and hooked up the trusty WRX to it. After a few slow turnovers and some sputtering. It started..... After listening to the engine idle for a minute or two, and looking at the A/F and other things through the AccessPort, I cracked a pretty big smile. It was on!!!!

Brakes....
Next day, I installed the calipers. One of the front calipers was stripped out and had to be sent to the machine shop for a helicoil in order to mount it to the hub. No problem. That was fixed pretty quickly. I got all of them onto the car finally, and it was bleeding time. This is where it really hit the fan. I started on the passenger front caliper. That went smoothly and I moved to the driver rear. I noticed some fluid on the ground so I took a look figuring it would be a loose bleeder bolt from when we put back the calipers after painting. It looked loose so I gave it a turn or two until it was tight. I tried to bleed it again and it just shot fluid all over the place. At this point, I was a little on edge. I read a few threads on this topic that other people have had, some succeeded, but most of the re-threading failed. A last resort option was to weld the bleeder bolt hole shut and kiss the caliper goodbye. I ended up going back to the machine shop to have him tap it, and I sped around to find a 7/16x20 bleeder bolt. Found one pretty quick, brought it by the shop and he already had the thread tapped. He said it wasn't too much thread to work with and didn't even want to take a tip because he said it might not hold... I wasn't that confident at this point that I was going to make the tune. I installed it with some threadlocker and cranked it tight. The wife and I finished putting the car back together, bumper, skid plate, and cleaned up the inside of the car.
Woke up at 7am, got some breakfast and it was off to try and get the brakes going. Topped off the fluid, got my wife in the front seat and she started pumping the brakes. It started leaking a bit after a few so I got up in there and said "screw it" and cranked it with some serious force. Started bleeding again and it held.... Found out shortly after, I had air in the system after all that time and changing out all the lines etc. Bled the master brake cylinder, then did all the brakes again. Done...

Took me about 20 minutes to get out of the driveway (sloped) without ripping off the front bumper, lots of wood under the wheels to build it up. I was off to the tune.... Yee Haw!!!

I met up with Chris Black /w AMS Performance at Rads Motorsports in Waipahu for the tune. I had spoke with him earlier about trying to hit 300hp with the setup I had, granted this is on 91octane... And... I did. I'm betting I had a rediculous grin on my face while watching the screen plot out the graph. Everything went pretty smooth. Up on the rack, dyno'd 5 runs, off the rack. Thanks again Chris, always a pleasure to work with you. Good luck in December @ Dubai /w the GTR.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build - at 90% mark

Just some pictures over the past few months.

And finally, it joins the rest of the family.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build in progress

I'll be going over to my buddy's house to cornerweight and finally... align. Finally see some road time with it next week hopefully. *crosses fingers*

Next up, going to try to push forward with the wastegate dumptube extension/muffler. (SCCA SM required, as well as noise restrictions) I've heard that Tigwerks does some great work so that's going to be my first choice going forward. I've messaged him on it, but from what I've read, he's crazy busy lately, we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks, can't wait myself :)

Cornerweighted, and alignment done finally. Time for some fun!
I'm highly debating taking it to autox next weekend but I think I have to wait until I silence the wastegate a bit. I think the tech inspector or the noise police might get on me if I did show up. Curious about fun runs tho... Maybe I can sneak in a few after the regular runs are done...

Other than that, ordered a SMY Clustermaker dual gauge setup. I still have my A/F and Boost gauge to install after that comes in. Thinking about dropping the hammer on the Killer Bee pickup/baffle/pan combo. Just curious if it'll fit with a set of Perrin EL headers that I have on my list down the road. Anyone have this? Thoughts?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Decided to install the SMY Clustermaker gauge holder yesterday for a test fit. 5 minutes later, the test was over and I left it in place until the weekend.
Going to sack my wife into wiring it all up this time around.... Pics to come after install. Prosport Halo Boost gauge and Innovate wideband going in the pods.

New vs Old.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Some observations while driving the car around lately. It's squeaky... Almost sounds like the bushings in front and rear are really soft and making a lot of noise. Not exactly sure how to find out which one is making all that racket.
At any rate, I'm taking a long hard look at the TiC old bush new bush refresh package.
Old Bush New Bush Refresh

And adding a few others, Rear Diff(race).
TiC Subaru Rear Diff Mount Bushings - RACE

I've heard its a nightmare to do some of these and some good stories on getting some of the pieces off to change out the bushings resulted in some interesting ways of doing it. Prybars with mega cheater attachments, sawzallz..... even... a torch to cut bolts off... Even though my car is quite a rust bucket on the rear end, I'm still going to do it, and even clean up/sand/paint parts, etc if I come across some corrosion or something.

In other news, boost, A/F gauges pre-wired for the weekend. Hopefully some time to get it installed.

Have a good weekend people. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Finally got the gauges done yesterday. All buttoned up and ready to go. Overall, I think it's an awesome product from SMY, clean, easy to install, works great.

The only snag I had was the fuse panel as I had planned to use fuse taps to do the install instead of tapping into various power/lighting supplies. Bad idea i guess. The drawer that covers the fuse panel won't close now. So... I took it off for the interim, maybe try to shave it down and mold it to be 1/2" less on the depth.

I missed autox today... totally forgot about it, lame. But.. it gives me a bit more time to get some better tires. I gave it a little spirited run(first time) since I got it back together. It's a bit... how should I say, slippery with those 215's. Coming out of turns was fun, just blip the throttle a bit and it's sideways. But not so practical. Got the $$ for the wheels/tires and... fenders... :D

More later, have a good day people.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Nice set of upgrades, improvements.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Welcome to the money class.

I havent had any complains with my open dump in my region, but there is a crx thats louder than my car.

Why did you go with 215 tires?? Also if you plan on staying in SM I highly suggest you get a second set of wheels and R comps, I dont know how competitive you are but SM is "whos got the stickiest, biggest tires and most money" class.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

haha Thanks, figuring that out rather quickly. STU wasn't that bad, SM seems to be rather intense.
Good to hear that about the open dump. I've only heard of this rule here locally, and I've never seen it enforced. Just trying to think ahead instead of being "that guy" out there.
As for the tires, those are just what's on there now. Stock BBS wheels. And actually, I think they are 225's, typo.
Just waiting until after christmas most likely to order up the RPF1/A6 (285) combo.

thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Was noticing lately that the car has been consuming a bit more oil than usual, decided to do to a compression test. Warmed it up, took out all the coil packs and plugs, mashed the pedal down and...

Seems good to me, for a compression test at least.
I'm tempted to do a leakdown test next... I drove the car(hard) 3 times a few days before I did the compression test and I didn't drop any oil whatsoever. At any rate, I ordered a new set of plugs while I'm at it, so it'll be resting during the holidays.

Next up, Evolution School Jan 19/20/21 here in Hawaii. Should be fun as I've never done it before. I've been told to kiss my tires goodbye and order a set now to replace them after the event. 50-60 runs on that weekend. That almost totals my amount of runs in a normal season!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Since I had the plugs out, I bought some 1 step colder plugs and installed them over the weekend. It was about time anyhow, why not right?

Also, I finally hooked up the power steering cooler and swapped out all the fluid. So far so good with that.

Now the decision that I've been contemplating for a long while now.
I want to get the car out on the autox track soon, and I've been looking into what wheel/tire combo to get. Originally, I had set out to get Karlton's flares and use Enkei RPF1 18x10.5+15 with Hoosier A6 295/30/18 tires.

Now things have changed a bit, I've been trying to get to Europe with my wife for a vacation for 3 years now and this year... well, it's just going to happen plain and simple.

So that said, I'll be looking for a wheel/tire (A6) combo to race with. I'll be wanting the maximum I possibly can as usual. 275 I've heard is the most with rolling/pulling the rear to max. I've looked around quite a bit with some very different setups, still unsure of a 17" or 18" wheel to be honest.

Updates after those are on. Hopefully my coilovers will hold these for a while until I upgrade to the TarmacII's with 600/500 springs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build, Wheels and Tire setup options.

Started rolling and pulling the fenders, using [email protected]'s method. So far, looks great, can't wait to finish it up and get going with the wheels and tires.
Evo School coming up quickly 20th!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Sigs 05 CGM STi SM Build, Wheels and Tire setup options.

Well I'm almost done with the fenders, rolling/pulling/grinding. It's been tons of fun.
Last night I shot the Lord Fusor up in the seams of the fender and clamped it for the night. Tonight hopefully I can get the fender trim back on and be done with it.

EVO school is Sat/Sun/Monday so, i'm totally excited to get some more seat time and knowledge. Every year has been a blast that I've done and I only keep on getting better every time I go.
Pics and Vids later from each day will be a must.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips [email protected], it made pulling out the fenders and grinding them much easier.

Final pictures after completion coming. Taking it all off this afternoon and hoping it holds up to the beating i'm going to give it this weekend.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts