IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got all my parts in for my car to be stage 2...Accessport,TBE.Im wondering though.Im not going to upgrade the vehicle anymore after that.I got a really good deal on the exhaust and i could probably just sell the catback for what i bought the whole set-up for.I was wondering i know there isnt much power to be gained with a catback as it is mostly in the downpipe.But is it going to sound odd at all with just a catless downpipe and stock exhaust.Now that i thought off it i would rather keep the stock catback because of the noise the exhaust is going to give off and i dont think im gonna wanna hear that for 6-7 years.Any of you guys have any sound clips of stock exhaust with aftermarket DP?Please let me know any of your input.Thanks

·
resigned
5,609 Posts
I dont have a sound clip, but it sounds pretty damn good for a stock catback... Not too loud, cant even hear it over the tire drone...

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
thats great you got a good steal, may i ask what brand downpipe you got? and what brand catback as well

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
I say go for the full exhaust. I ran stage 2 for a year with just a downpipe, while running the stock midpipe and catback. It was great, but a lot of power was left untapped. When completing the exhaust prior to the protune, the difference was dramatic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JJ18Sniper said:
I say go for the full exhaust. I ran stage 2 for a year with just a downpipe, while running the stock midpipe and catback. It was great, but a lot of power was left untapped. When completing the exhaust prior to the protune, the difference was dramatic.
Biggest thing i noticed from other people is the HP is similar but the torque seems to go up with full exhaust.I think i will install it...See how it is.If its way too loud,i will put the stock exhaust on.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Narib said:
Biggest thing i noticed from other people is the HP is similar but the torque seems to go up with full exhaust.I think i will install it...See how it is.If its way too loud,i will put the stock exhaust on.

Definitely something worth trying. If it isn't your taste, you can simply go ahead and sell it. Definitely a win win situation. Best of luck.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
i would also highly reccommend you get protuned before you stop modding, just to make sure your car is running on a safe tune.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
evilSTi7 said:
i would also highly reccommend you get protuned before you stop modding, just to make sure your car is running on a safe tune.

Agreed. The reassurance that it is properly tuned, and running efficiently is a good feeling. Not to mention the positive aspects behind the wheel ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Narib said:
no..if anything it will feel less tqy....back pressure is needed for good tq

·
Registered
26 Posts
No need for cat back with a great dp!

I recently did a cobb catted dp for an 05 sti, kept the stock catback exhaust, and hooked up a cobb stage two accessport. IMO, replacing the catback exhaust is way overrated; maybe you'll see a 5 hp gain to go to a 3'' catback, but sorry, fellas, you don't feel 5 hp gains, nor do you see them in real world street performance. My sti sounds a little louder than stock during daily driving, but ROARS when you step on it. A little deeper sound, but barely noticable over stock. And the performance gains are amazing; i'm up approx 44 hp and 83ft/lbs torque on the dyno at the crank. AND, you avoid the possibility of boost creep with the extra back pressure!! NICE. AND LEGAL!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm on a Perrin catless w/the Maddad midpipe and the OEM axle back. I have a Stage 2 AP and the power and performance is there w/o the noise. I also like the stealth look of the OEM. I painted the canister black for a more stealth look.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It sounds like you got some advise for doing it both ways! Im in the same boat actually. Im running catless dp with the rest of the exhaust stock and it runs great and it really isnt much louder at all except maybe you can hear the turbo a little more when it first spools up, but still I was considering finishing with a catback setup. I was concerned that the cobb stage 2 tune isnt being used to its full extent setup this way. I'd like to hear more before and after feedback. If Im going to gain 5hp for 500 or 600 bucks and have it look and sound like a police magnet, well you get the idea. It sure is nice having it sound and look stock.
....law enforcement officer wise that is....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts