IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have the PSI 3

Trying to get some opinions. I know this is an STi forum, but try to be as impartial as you can :p

I'm looking at getting a new car at the end of this year or, worst case scenario, when the 2004 models are released next year. I've (somewhat) narrowed it down to:

1. Subaru STi
2. 2004 (or 2005) Audi S4
3. 2004 Audi A4 3.0 wagon

The Audis represent the high and low as fas as price. The Subaru is the best in the "ponies per dollar" category but also is the biggest "attention getter". The wagon is the most "practical" of the bunch. The S4 is the most luxurious (and maybe the fastest) of the group..but at a STEEP price tag.

I'm looking for a car that will be primarily a daily driver but will also see some track time a few times per year (not so much so if I get the wagon) -- and, depending how well I do, several times per year. Also will be taken to the Tahoe a lot in the winter. Storage space would be nice but isn't a huge factor. My heavy modifying days are probably behind me, so reliability is a significant factor.

So perhaps the biggest factor now is cost. After everything is said and done, it looks like the STi will run about $40k or so, with the wagon coming in at about the same amount. The S4 will come run in the low $50k range if my calculatios are correct. I'd have no big problems paying for the STi or the wagon. Paying for the S4 would be significantly trickier (monthly payments probably double that of the STi) but could be done. Also, I hear the maintainance cost for Audis is pretty stiff. I'm not sure how the insurance will be with the STi if they start getting stolen/vandalized more frequently (which I have a feeling they might since they really stand out).

If you were in my shoes, which one would you go for -- utility, all out performance, or luxury sport? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
396 Posts
First off, welcome to the forums.

I suspect the maintenance costs of the STI will be higher than you are expecting. Tires and brakes don't seem to last long and the 93 octane isn't cheap. I won't even go into speeding tickets. On the other hand, the fun factor is :D

If "the Tahoe" involves snow, you WILL need different tires for the STI.

Of the 3 you mentioned, the STI is the only one I am familiar with. Keep in mind that it is based on an econo-box car. For this reason, it isn't a fair comparison to the other luxury cars. Next year though, you should be able to get a STI for well under MSRP though. Even after taxes, you shouldn't be at $40K.

I am sorry, but nobody here will be able to tell you which one to get. I would recommend test driving all of them if you can and just try to envision which one you can see yourself in on a daily basis.

-Lance

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, 93 octance is expensive (pusing $2.40/gallon where I live right now), but I've my last 2 cars have requred it and I put it in my sportbike, so I'm used to paying a lot for gas). I did forget about the summer tires on the STi (and thanks for the correction...I didn't realize I had put "the Tahoe" instead of just "Tahoe" aka Lake Tahoe :D )...but I think that's part of my $40k estimate -- options, stereo, speakers, tires, tax, etc.

As far as maintainance costs go, I do expect the STi to require more frequent part changes than a "regular" car, but no more so than the S4 would require I'm sure. I was talking about the actual cost to repair...German cars in general are expensive to maintain, and supposedly not everyone knows how to work on Audis (although it seems like any mechanic that can work on a 4 stroke motor should be able to do the work unless there is some brand-specific technology present).

Another car that someone in the Audi forum mentioned is the Infiniti G35. They might be bringing out an AWD version next year, and the coupe does look pretty sweet as far as specs.

Keep the opinions comin' guys, the more the merrier!

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's always nice to have a performance car and a luxury if you can afford it. I got the STi cause I know my soon to be wife would want a new car soon, so she can drive around the "nicer" car.

STI and S4 are pretty different, IMO. It really depends on what you need. As someone mentioned before, the maintenance will probably be similar - maybe even a little more expensive for the S4 cause it's an Audi. However, if you're going to be in inclement weather a lot and need utility, the wagon is the way to go.

If you're going to do two cars, that new TL 6spd is an enticing option at around $33k, as well as the G35.

·
Registered
96 Posts
TurboXS Stealthback Sound clip

I'd say wait for a chance to drive all three cars. If the money isn't that big an issue, go with whichever car makes you like the best after actually experiencing them.

M

·
0 Posts
STi, duh

Also, do a search, there are plenty of opinion posts already comparing these cars and other cars as well. You will find a lot of good advice and observations.

mist

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hello there!

Personally, based on the criteria you listed, you need to go with one of the Audis.

I do not think the STi is a particularly good daily driver. I have been using the STi daily to/from work for the past 3-4 weeks to get through break in, and eventually you get tired of all of the noises and lack of sound insulation. I have a Bimmer for daily driver, and after the STi it feels so luxurious and well made for daily driving needs. I used to track it as well, and it performs fine for just few times a year; which is comparable to the Audis. The STi is in the weekend and track duty now.

I think the S4 will do you fine, unless you need to carry large pets or other stuff on a regular basis.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
STi or M3 would be my choices..

F4yoshi said:
Trying to get some opinions. I know this is an STi forum, but try to be as impartial as you can :p

I'm looking at getting a new car at the end of this year or, worst case scenario, when the 2004 models are released next year. I've (somewhat) narrowed it down to:

1. Subaru STi
2. 2004 (or 2005) Audi S4
3. 2004 Audi A4 3.0 wagon

The Audis represent the high and low as fas as price. The Subaru is the best in the "ponies per dollar" category but also is the biggest "attention getter". The wagon is the most "practical" of the bunch. The S4 is the most luxurious (and maybe the fastest) of the group..but at a STEEP price tag.

I'm looking for a car that will be primarily a daily driver but will also see some track time a few times per year (not so much so if I get the wagon) -- and, depending how well I do, several times per year. Also will be taken to the Tahoe a lot in the winter. Storage space would be nice but isn't a huge factor. My heavy modifying days are probably behind me, so reliability is a significant factor.

So perhaps the biggest factor now is cost. After everything is said and done, it looks like the STi will run about $40k or so, with the wagon coming in at about the same amount. The S4 will come run in the low $50k range if my calculatios are correct. I'd have no big problems paying for the STi or the wagon. Paying for the S4 would be significantly trickier (monthly payments probably double that of the STi) but could be done. Also, I hear the maintainance cost for Audis is pretty stiff. I'm not sure how the insurance will be with the STi if they start getting stolen/vandalized more frequently (which I have a feeling they might since they really stand out).

If you were in my shoes, which one would you go for -- utility, all out performance, or luxury sport? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M3s are definitely awesome, but it's not AWD and even I have to draw the line at $60k+ for a car....the S4 is super-borderline as it is and is in danger of falling out of consideration. I figure between the cost of the car, gas (less than 20mpg on the highway), maintainance, and insurance, I could almost buy 2 STis. I think my new order is:

1. AWD G35 6-speed manual coupe
2. STi
3. A4 wagon
4. S4

I'm like 80% sure I'll get one of the first two. I guess a test-drive will make the decision.

·
Registered
42 Posts
F4yoshi

regarding your
1. AWD G35 6-speed manual coupe

refere from
http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/news/products/relmatt2003091194118.shtml

It's the sedan that will have AWD in the 04 line up. Coup would still remain RWD for 04 line up. Just a side note that the early production of coup 6MT has tranny problems, which hopefully shall be fixed by now.

On the STi vs. G35C issue
If you don't mind the luxurious interior, comfortable (leather) seat, and just wanna enjoy driving, then STi would be the choice. Or else you don't want STi to be your daily driving car as FSelekler mentioned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just FYI on the Audi... Audi's have the 4 year "Audi Advantage" warranty, which includes all service (basically everything except tires) for the first 4 years. I had a 2001 TT and it was pretty slick. You could even drive into a dealership and say "I want new wipers" and it was all free.

This is, of course, built into the cost of the car, but it saves you from paying for anything "as you go" for the first 4 years. You would probably need new tires for the S4 as well. On the TT they used summer tires, and I think they do the same on the S4.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Of course the new S4 comes with a V8. A lot more power than previous models or are you looking for a older one? I know a guy that has a 2000 model and put a chip in it and it is as fast as my STi (I raced him, could have been my driving though).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts