IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..I'm debating whether or not to buy an STI...I'm not sure if I should get that..., the Mazda RX-8, or the NEON 2004 SRT-4..please give me your insigts..please...Also, does anyone have any images for body kits for the 2004 STI??

·
Registered
541 Posts
Obviously everyone here has a particular bias, and our favorite colors are Rally Blue and pink, go figure... but as many would tell you, it depends on exactly what you're looking for.

If you simply want the fastest, it's the STi, no question. Plus you get AWD traction, almost unparalleled handling (read: Evo), four real doors, etc. For the money, there's only one other car that can touch it, and that's the Evo.

If you want a little more refinement, in my opinion the RX-8 is a sweet car, lightweight, awesome seats and interior, 50/50 weight distribution, and excellent handling by all accounts.

The SRT-4 is huge bang for the buck, but you will get Neon-quality materials & interior. But for me, anything driving only the front wheels just isn't gonna cut it anymore, not in this market. If you're looking at the SRT-4, you should also consider the base WRX.

And since you're obviously open to rear-drive platforms in this price range, you might as well look at 350Zs and G35 Coupes as well.

By the way, your Body Kits thread was moved to the Exterior forum.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
airwynn said:
Hi everyone..I'm debating whether or not to buy an STI...I'm not sure if I should get that..., the Mazda RX-8, or the NEON 2004 SRT-4..please give me your insigts..please...Also, does anyone have any images for body kits for the 2004 STI??
... If you would actually take a neon over the STI then you dont appreciate it enough to get it. As for the Rx-8 .... This outta be some insight for whats in store for you (possibly): http://supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137611&highlight=rx8

They mention random CEL lights and no one knows why... recalls on oil pans... you'll see when you read. Im not trying to be doom and gloom about the RX8 but, thats some serious stuff.

Robert~

·
Registered
14 Posts
staticx313 said:
They mention random CEL lights and no one knows why... recalls on oil pans... you'll see when you read. Im not trying to be doom and gloom about the RX8 but, thats some serious stuff.
I thought the lack of torque was enough cause for doom and gloom on the RX-8. :) Its got a decent top end (~260 hp) but torque is severly lacking (~161 ft-lbs). I was considering one of these, but they're just not worth it when you can get much more for a slight increase in cash.

Gotta go now, add more later.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I read that Mazda is offereing rebates or something because the RX8 does not put out the power they originally advertised, so I don't think it's really 260. Anyway...

GET AN STi! Do a search, this topis has been getting beat to death lately. Maybe we should just have a sticky at the top of this forum to buy an STi and give reasons for it. People are coming to an STi forum and then asking if they should buy an STi :roll: what do they think most of us will say.

M

·
0 Posts
I went and checked out an RX-8, they had it stickered to 33 grand! I was like.. uhh guys...

The salesmen were too busy checking out my STi to be of much help. One guy kept going on and on about how much better the STi brakes were than the RX-8's. I think he just had a gold brembo fetish, :)

mist

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have to say...that's an interesting few cars you have there. Continue your search by visiting forums for all of the above mentioned cars. They are all so different in everything they do, you haven't narrowed down what you want yet.

Of course we are going to tell you to buy an STi....we all did. Hell, some of us waited 8 months for the car, having purchased it sight unseen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just posted this question a few days ago. My choices were the STi, S4, A4 wagon, or G35 AWD coupe. It's really going to depend on you going to look at and test driving teh different choices and looking at how much they'll hurt your wallet. Me -- I really wanted teh S4, but after looking at how much I'd be paying (a lot) over how long (a long time), it sadly isn't one of my available choices anymore. I'm really leaning toward the G35 AWD coupe if it gets here near the end of this calendar year. For me, I want the car to be fast but also be able to take people around in it without them commenting on how hard the ride is. But that's just me.

You have to ask yourself how often you'll be racing the car realistically. If it's going to be your daily driver, you're going to want some level of comfort. If it's going to be a strictly fun car for racing then who cares about luxury?

The RX-8 -- make sure you find a mechanic who can do good work on them Wankel engines...

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
The G35 Coupe is going to stay RWD. The sedan is going to be the only AWD offering. There is another thread that has a link to this, but I don't remember which one.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, I did some digging and you're right -- no AWD G35 coupe for 2004. All the same, I might still go for the AWD 6MT sedan...seeing as how I was looking at the STi and the S4, both of which are sedans. Plus, people on teh G35 forums are saying that the RWD 6MT sedan is just a hair slower than the 6MT coupe. I'm not sure how the AWD will affect this since it'll bring extra girth but also more traction. But I think demand for teh sedans is lower than that for the coupes, so I should be able to get a decent deal on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I was at Ramsey Mazda/Subuaru... The RX8 is sweet..one of the nicest cars I have ever been in..sadly...the STI was sold out....I didn't know what to do..with only being able to experience the RX8...I practically fell in love with it's design, and I am 6'3" and I fit inside teh RX8 with comfort...I don't know what to do guys!! Hellllp ME!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Dealership today...STI...or..RX8?

The STi fits my 6'7" frame without a problem, and much less damage is sustained when you close the front doors before closing the back doors. :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
lol, that is funny..

mistkerl said:
I went and checked out an RX-8, they had it stickered to 33 grand! I was like.. uhh guys...

The salesmen were too busy checking out my STi to be of much help. One guy kept going on and on about how much better the STi brakes were than the RX-8's. I think he just had a gold brembo fetish, :)

mist

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
airwynn said:
..sadly...the STI was sold out....quote]

I hope this isn't a surprise. Some of us waited 8+ months to have this car this early. Others, paying over MSRP. Some, getting lucky and getting the extra units.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I'm not too sure what you mean..but no..I was at Subaru/Mazda today..They ordered my STI..they said about 30-40 days..excited..a lil'..

·
Registered
536 Posts
WTB STI RAYS 18"

I heard this on the news yeterday....Mazda is offering anyone who has bought an RX8 a complete refund. That's including taxes and licensing fees. This is due to a discovery that the car is producing 5% less horsepower than advertised! I wouldn't have advised getting the RX8 in the first place, the STI is an amazing car, plus a boxer engine will eat a rotary any day. Also Mazda is supposedly producing a new RX7 which will most likely kick ass. So, I say get the STI, I have one and I cant stop driving it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts