IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is it and wat so good about it?...shift shorter...like move it a little bit and it changes? whats the pros bout it?

·
Registered
858 Posts
for example, instead of 8" distance for the gear knob to move from 1st gear to 2nd, a short throw might change this to like a 5-6" movement.

it makes shifting faster.

trust me, i drove a toyota picckup truck where the travel was like close to a foot and a half! and it was so loose i thought maybe the tranny was broken...

·
Registered
251 Posts
The STi already has one. I like it quite a bit. Next time you're at a Subie dealer, try out a base model Impreza and you'll see the difference.

Of course, it doesn't compare to a Toyota pickup! :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Although the STi already has a relatively short throw, I am sure someone will make an even shorter one soon. I just put one on my EVO this weekend and love it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i think the throw on the STi trans. is pretty good. i'd like to firm up the action a little bit though. does anybody (i.e. kartboy) make stiffer bushings for the shift link?

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
im pretty sure there are shorter shifters for STi in aus and jap, although the throws are pretty short as is could become a pain in the butt being shorter, well for me anyways.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
eatV8 said:
...the throws are pretty short as is could become a pain in the butt being shorter, well for me anyways.
same here. any shorter and shifts get more vague, imo. i'd rather put the money in power anyway.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Prodrive

I am hopping someone makes a shorter thow for the sti, ive driven 1500 kms now and when i went back and drove my s-2000 honda ,the trans shifting is soooo much nicer in the s, but the car's acelleration was like 2 plug wires fell off, compared to the STI, :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Of course, it's a Honda....

*thinking that this should stir up some crap*
:eek:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah, thats what I was going to post, but then I thought "why cause another war?"

·
Registered
631 Posts
hehehe..., well, I just figured..., why not?

·
Registered
334 Posts
eatV8 said:
...the throws are pretty short as is could become a pain in the butt being shorter, well for me anyways.
Coming from a Miata, the throws seem pretty long. However even those are really long compared to the MR2 Spyder. I do find myself confusing 3/4 with 5/6 a lot, trying to go from 4th to 5th and hitting third instead seems to be normal in my first hundred miles. Fortunately I'm not trying to shift quickly in the new car so no harm.

·
Registered
307 Posts
well i guess i will say it since you guys started it, which car would i choose if i had to pick one, and the reasons why. second thought i'm not going to do this, :roll: :roll: :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts