IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow, filled her up today, drove no longer than 45 minutes (which i consider pretty conservative driving) and bam! a lil more than a 1/4 of tank already gone :evil: makes me wish i sitll had my civic....no wait a minute, i lied.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
yeah its a trip.in that hot rod write up sti vs. svt they said the svt gave better gas mileage.and if you buy an svt you gotta pay a $1000 gas guzzler tax.ha,ha cause the average mileage was .5 mile below gov't standards.ha,ha i'm laughin all the way to the next gas station

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Also, the first 1/4 tank appears to go faster. Most guages do that at the end of the tank, sti's do it at the beginning of the tank.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
if you wait til you use the full tank usually you'llget better gas mileage... even with all my mods I recently did 264.8miles @ 10.86 gallons ~24-25mpg (although I agree with ldivinag, the pumps will cut off too soon if you have it too far in there). Although if i fill up at 1/2 tank i only get like 19-20mpg. so I wonder if the computer leans it out some when you start running low on fuel? I know my ///M roadster was like that... big time... if you were below 1/4 tank of gas it felt like you lost 10 hp and filling up your tank was like adding a mod lol.

Robert~

·
Registered
410 Posts
PS2 or Xbox

RadarOnPaws said:
Only 19 - 20mpg? I've been averaging 16 - 18. Mostly normal driving, the lower mpg tanks had some fun thown in for good measure.
I hear that. If i don't do any highway driving my mpg is about 16 on a good day. I have been surprised by this cars horrible gas mileage. Then again i could care less and i drive like i have 50kgs of coke in my trunk and the DEA on my ass. Peace!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
yeah, the first 1/4 tank seems to go pretty quick, sometimes less than 50mi. i'm used to that happening at the end of the tank...i've been averageing about 18-19mpg.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You have nothing to worry about!

At Gingerman Raceway I averaged just under 4 mpg (four) during a couple of track sessions. And the 4 mpg included the 5 mi trip to the gas station and back!!

...it was worth it though!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
One More in Oregon

I just got mine, so there's not much data yet... and it's still in the break-in period. We went out for a 100 mile cruise yesterday (taking the total mileage from 400 to 500). That put the gauge from full to 3/4.

Based on this, I'm pretty optimistic. I was trying to keep the tach at or below 4K, but I was also modulating the engine speed a lot for the beak-in; so this was certainly not optimum use of fuel. There were also quite a few hills along the way.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
well i think i'm to hard on the throttle. i regularly get 40mi per 1/4 tank. yes i do fill her up at 160 to 200 mi at best and usually put in 14-15 gal. almost no hwy driving. its funny how the more you slide around corners the faster the gas leaks out of the invisiable hole in the tank.... :wink:

·
Registered
350 Posts
My best MPG so far has been a 22.5 during braking in. From there on it never went up above 16mpg until I did my first oil change (3300 miles) with Mobil 1. Since then I've been getting 19-20mpg mixed city and highway driving. Don't know if the oil has anything to do with it, but I for sure haven't changed my driving style. BTW, I only have about 4K miles on her :D

-dp

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i got you all beat. i have a crappy 2 minute drive to work. in that mile i have 3 lights. the short stop and go drives combined with having to let her warm up for 10-15 minutes to clear the frost of the windshield has gotten me 45miles out of a half tank of gas. under regular driving.....18-20 depending on my mood.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I guess it in how you drive it... I got 24 mpg out of my first tank of gas.. Still working on the second one, but it looks like it's going about the same.

I've always had a knack for getting good gas mileage out of cars, though.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
Only 19 - 20mpg? I've been averaging 16 - 18. Mostly normal driving, the lower mpg tanks had some fun thown in for good measure.
Tell me if you see a difference with the grounding kit... as I will usually get 21-24 mpg all the time, fun or no fun. Granted I do a bunch of highway driving, but some city too. Also I dont usually have to give any throttle. 90% of the time I dont even have to boost with all my mods I have, I move just fine. Now when I got psycho minivan mom on her cell phone riding my tail, I like to give it a go ;).

Robert~

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got 21.7 MPG out of my first tank. I'm working on my 2nd tank now. 24 MPG is pretty good. The 6-th gear is nice for the freeway. However I find myself chargeing up the hills (at 80 mph) with turbo boost. Maybe it would be better to downshift.
I'm in the Seattle area too, and my car looks just like yours. So if you see another one, it may be me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
dmpi said:
I got 21.7 MPG out of my first tank. I'm working on my 2nd tank now. 24 MPG is pretty good. The 6-th gear is nice for the freeway. However I find myself chargeing up the hills (at 80 mph) with turbo boost. Maybe it would be better to downshift.
Once I hit 60-65 mph I usually throw it in 6th and leave it there. If I hit a hill, and I'm going 65, I find that 6th still has enough pull to get me up the hill without losing speed. I only downshift into 5th for steep hills, or if traffic slows down to about 55-60 mph.

I'm in the Seattle area too, and my car looks just like yours. So if you see another one, it may be me.
Cool! You coming to the meet in Issaquah this weekend? Gonna be cool to see all that many STis in the same place!

·
Registered
84 Posts
DrEvyl said:
Cool! You coming to the meet in Issaquah this weekend? Gonna be cool to see all that many STis in the same place!
I'm may have to do family stuff that day. I'll find out later. I'd like to go, It'll be so awsome to see so many STIs in one place. I got some 350Z friends who say that they have a "rare and exclusive" car! Compared to the STIs, thier cars are a dime-a-dozen.

·
Registered
454 Posts
dmpi said:
I'm may have to do family stuff that day. I'll find out later. I'd like to go, It'll be so awsome to see so many STIs in one place. I got some 350Z friends who say that they have a "rare and exclusive" car! Compared to the STIs, thier cars are a dime-a-dozen.
It would be cool to have you out if you could make it... I'll bring my digital camera and snap some pics, though, in case you don't.

I'm actually surprised how many STis I see here, though... I followed a blue / gold one from Fort Lewis to Kent on Saturday evening... young girl driving it. I think I've probably seen 10-15 of them driving around the area.

My Formula is the rare one... I don't think there's another car like it in all of Washington State, let alone the Pacific Northwest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts