IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Northwest STi Rollcall

This is for people who have driven both cars, and can be unbiased as possible. I'm seriously considering an Evo because all the problems I hear about the STi with the pinging and all. I must admit I haven't looked up all the problems on the Evo, but that's where I'm hoping you guys can help fill me in. Also, I know know the materials in the interior on an Evo is much cheaper, but as long as it is peeling off in 2 or 3 years, I'll be fine. So my question is, besides performance, styling, and brand loyalty, , why would you pick an STi over Evo?

PS

I know Mitsubishi over the past years have had very poor quality cars. But I haven't heard anything major about the Evo. Thanks for the help.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Clutch and tranny issues have been reported with some of the EVOs. Also a good deal of paint issues as well.

Indeed the STis have their share of quirks. . . but detonations aside, I doubt you'd find any of them serious at all. At least I don't. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just wait until the 2005's come out if you desire an STi. Most problems will be worked out by then, no sense in rushing a purchase of this caliber for something you real don't want. Of course, it is totally up to you.

Ken

·
Registered
389 Posts
After the excitement of the perf disappears in a few moths your stuck with a car that is exactly like a regular lancer that sells for $10K. The Sti is based of a car that starts at $20K and the difference in quality is obvios

·
Registered
24 Posts
Turbo timer question?

If you want an Evo, buy one. I wanted an STi. I just liked it better, so I bought it. As most every magazine review says, they're both great cars. Which one is best is up to you. Of you need "convincing" to go for an STi, then it's probably not the car for you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The STi's chassis is the same as all Imprezas (except for the Spec C subframe) whereas the Evo's chassis is basically custom made for the Evo and only the Evo. And that is a huge reason why the Evo is so special. The only thing it shares with the regular Lancer is the trunk and some of the interior pieces.

·
Registered
389 Posts
RaX said:
The STi's chassis is the same as all Imprezas (except for the Spec C subframe) whereas the Evo's chassis is basically custom made for the Evo and only the Evo. And that is a huge reason why the Evo is so special. The only thing it shares with the regular Lancer is the trunk and some of the interior pieces.

Sounds like a lot of marketing talking there. When I almost bought an Evo they parked it next to a $12K lancer and I compared them directly and they were exactly the same except for the obvious perf related items.

·
Registered
273 Posts
y2ks2k said:
Sounds like a lot of marketing talking there. When I almost bought an Evo they parked it next to a $12K lancer and I compared them directly and they were exactly the same except for the obvious perf related items.
You are kidding right? I actually think that the regular lancer's exterior looks nothing like the EVO's. IMO, to say that both look excalty the same it's like saying that Impreza's front facia looks like Hyuindai Elantra :) :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was also seriously considering an EVO until about a couple of months ago. The clutch/transmission issues and Mitsu's apparent attitude on warranty work have definitely deterred me from getting one. It's just to big of a gamble for 30K, IMO. Whichever car I end up getting will be my only car and I sure don't want it to be broken down half the time, and having to argue with the service department to get any kind of warranty work done on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Current STI car cover info...

matadorCE said:
I was also seriously considering an EVO until about a couple of months ago. The clutch/transmission issues and Mitsu's apparent attitude on warranty work have definitely deterred me from getting one. It's just to big of a gamble for 30K, IMO. Whichever car I end up getting will be my only car and I sure don't want it to be broken down half the time, and having to argue with the service department to get any kind of warranty work done on it.
I also had my mind set on an Evo but for the exact same reasons as you did plus paint problems, I bought an STi. Unfortunately, it meant that I traded off better handling for a car that had a better manufacturer backing it. Subaru at least made an earnest attempt at fixing the detonation issue and that in my book says a lot.

M

·
0 Posts
I chose the STi so that when all those punks in Evo's wanted to race, I didn't have to worry about losing, :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
I chose the STi so that when all those punks in Evo's wanted to race, I didn't have to worry about losing,
... I like your attitude. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have 9,900 miles on my STi. The EVO doesn't have cruse control...

Also, I have seen one EVO at a track day. None at an Auto-X, or Hillclimb that I have attended. I have seen 4 other STis at different events.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts