IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping Santa drops off a head unit and set of front component speakers, maybe even including the IA spacer kit. I've never installed a car stereo before. Should I attempt this one, or should I have a pro do it? It sounds/looks pretty straightforward, but I don't know if I'll need deadening material or where to put it.

I'll have a week off to work on it, weather permitting, so time shouldn't be a problem. How much would professional installation cost?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Too lean?

I didn't need any sound deadening material and my system sounds very good in my opinion. Not really all that hard, you just can't be afraid of taking some stuff apart. All the information is out there.

-st

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I have mixed opinions. My friends and I installed mine, and it's pretty good. However, haven't completely gotten rid of the whine induced by the engine, and I have had my door panels off numerous times trying to completely get rid of the rattles. I thought I had it, but now something is barely rattling in the passenger front. I need to pull it again and see what is going on.

Also, for some reason my rear speakers decided to quit working whereas they were working fine before. Now I have to pull my passenger seat again and see what is up with my amp.

It's not that it is all that difficult, but given the door panel constraints of the impreza body, if you can afford a couple hundred (maybe less) for installation of a head unit, front components, and maybe an amp, you can't go wrong by having pros do it who have already fought all the battles with your type of car before.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Installed Infinity Kappa's, what amp to get?

Okay, I changed my mind on this... I voted "Leave it to the Pros" because of various problems I had but now I ironed them all out tonight and I think doing it myself (well, actually with a huge amount of help from a couple buddies for the initial install) was the best way because of how much I learned. Nothing like doing it yourself to learn not to be afraid to try.

Basically, I still had some vibration in the front passenger door panel, and my rear speakers had quit working. I changed the location of the mounting screws in the front midrange, used foam tape, cut some excess plastic off the back of the door panel's speaker grille, and it came out okay. But I still had one final piece of vibration that I couldn't figure out until I realized it was my crossover. I have them mounted inside the door in the pockets so I can adjust them. Some more foam tape and a new screw and bracket (on the inside of the door behind the door panel for the screw to fasten into) and ALL my vibrations are GONE. Finally!!! :roll:

As for the rear speakers not working, I started messing with the amp as much as I could without removing the passenger seat again, and I realized that the "Bass Boost" switch was neither on nor off, but was stuck in the inbetween position. When I made sure this was either fully on or off, the rear speakers now work fine and the fronts sound better again. I'm not sure what it was doing to the output being in an indeterminate state, but it clearly wasn't good.

Anyway, give it a shot. The worst you will do is say forget it and go for the pros, in which case you'll only have lost a little time. Best case, you will learn a lot and your system will sound great (as does mine... finally! :D ).

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Great instructions and write up!! :) I did notice a couple things that I wanted to comment on though.

First, I didn't have to remove the triangular trim near the mirror on the fronts to get the panels off/on. It might make it easier going back on, but not a necessity.

Second, for the rear speakers, putting them inside the doors instead of outside using the spacers removes the need for having to remove any portion of the stock speaker cover. The back windows don't roll down far enough to hit the magnets anyway, at least not on my MB Quarts 5.25" speakers I have in the backs. To secure them inside the door, use the little metal clips that come with most speakers or else standard washers to screw the bolts into.

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
understood. because of the speakers i chose, even eliminating the spacers would not have solved the problem.

hopefully people will choose something other than the Infiniti's for the rears. or at least a different type of Infiniti.

yep, on the moldings too. i also would put forth it's not entirely necessary to remove the cup holder. but to safely remove the climate control cover panel it's adviseable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts