IW STi Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
^^^^ what he said.

If you are gonna run 5/6 points, you NEED a roll bar or cage AND a fixed position bucket seat(like the Recaro Pole Position for example).

The 5/6 points require a roll bar to prevent head/neck/spine injury in a roll over.

A roll bar requires a fixed back seat. Why? Because if you are driving around without a helmet, get into an accident and the reclining seat reclines you are looking at brain damage or death when your head hits the roll bar/cage.

Also having reclining seats with a roll bar/cage is useless since the bar prevents you from reclining :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
if you have a roll bar the seat will still recline freely and your head will not hit it in the event of a rollover. maybe with a more complex cage this would be an issue but with a basic 4-point rollbar (like the autopower for example) I can't see how it would be an issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
umm im gonna use the harnesses for daily driving most of the time... cuz riders dont like how the car jerks when going fast...:lol:

and umm... wouldnt a 4 point be safer than regular belts?

and ive never used 5/6 point belts before.. do they hurt your crotch?:lol: seriously tho..

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you want to get a good fixed seat that fits good, try the sparco pro 2000. I am 6'1 215 36" waist. The seat is snug, but not tight. It is a full race seat though and will not recline. This is the seat that I will be installing in my '04 (after alot of o.t.). I would love the Prodrive's, but I am afraid that because they are meant for the JDM market, that they will be too small and I am too set in my ways to start drinking diet coke. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
142 Posts
FujiApples said:
and umm... wouldnt a 4 point be safer than regular belts?
Depends. The stock seatbelt system is designed to give a certain amount under impact to absorb some of the stress of the crash. It's factored into the crash zones of the car, just like the spare tire is.

A harness is designed NOT to give at all under any stress. It's designed to hold you securely in a racing seat in a car with a cage. This will make any given collision much more violent because the crash zones have been taken out of the car and your restraint is not absorbing any kinetic energy from a crash. All of that energy gets absorbed by your neck, hence the recent move to the HANS system.

What I would do instead is get a CG-lock. This will lock the lap belt in place to hold you in your seat, while the chest strap is still free to absorb impact. And they're only $40 instead of several hundred for a full harness. Plus, it's easily removable and does not damage your belts.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
aspensti05 said:
If the roof is compromised in a car with no bar or cage the 4 point system lets you compress. The 5-6 point setup leaves only your head, neck and spine to compress.
That would be relying on the same behavior that will get you killed, to keep you from getting killed. ;)

Gramicci101 said:
If you're considering a 5/6 point harness, why are you even bothering with reclining seats? Most don't have sub strap holes in them. Get a recaro SPA or SPG or something. A 5 point is a little extreme for daily driving anyways.
I am trying to find a seat that is capable of doing double duty. My car is 95% daily driver, but sees the track several times a year. I'd never wear anything but a 3-point on the road, IMO anything else would be too dangerous without a roll cage and helmet.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thinking of selling the 04 sti buying a cadillac or something. I'm 6 ft 235 ,lbs, 63 years old. My left hamstring aches after about an hour. There is a raised reinforced lump in the front edges of the seats. Need longer wider seats, designed more for touring cruising geezers. Any ideas , thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
it's hard to say without sitting in them. OMP makes good seats.

for me, the sparco evo2 is perfect. I'm 6ft 1. 238lbs (have sat in this seat when i was 200) and it just fits.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have the sparco spx am 5'11'' ~230lbs and they fit pretty nice, snug but nice an firm...have heard great things about the recaro comfort line too

·
Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
100 Posts
I’m 6’ foot around 225-230 and fit fine. I would imagine if I gained 20-30 pounds my love handles may not fit as well though. If you cannot find a seat try extra cardio for 3 months and see if that helps?

Reactions: Karlot
21 - 30 of 30 Posts