IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just about had it with the stock seats -- they're uncomfortable for my lower back, and on the track I have to use my knees to stay in position. Sooooooo.... looking for an aftermarket seat, but I don't have a lot of local examples to test out.

What I'm interested in is experiences from those of you that are on the big side, like me ... 6'0" 240 lb, 36" waist. I remember once trying out a set of Recaro Speeds earlier this year, and they were a bit snug for me. I was wondering if perhaps the Recaro Sport might be a better option. Or the Sparco Evo 2 or 3. One thing that may rule out the Recaro Sports is I don't see an option for a 5-point harness (and a 4-point is unacceptable to me). Hrmm....

Interested in your input! I'm willing to spend a few bucks if need be, but I'm more interested in quality and fit than chasing after a brand name. And while I've got your attention, what do you think I could probably get for the stock STI seats? :)

Dave

·
Registered
267 Posts
My left leg would go numb after driving the car around for more than 30 minutes. Believe it was the side bolster part squeezing the outside of my thigh. Never mentioned to anybody, because I didn't wanna hear about buying a 30k car that makes my legs go numb. Have lost 60pds this year and cannot believe how much better the driving experience is when you can feel your feet!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
im 6'2", 250lb, 36" waist.. and i find the STi seats near-perfect (i cant complain). although i sat in some Sparco Milano seats once, and they fit me like a dream.

Sparco Torinos felt the same too. although i would feel dumb putting sparcos in an STi. ppl are going to hate me for saying this, but Sparcos are too northamericanish for a japanese car.

id suggest Brides, but they have a strict disclaimer that forbids ppl over 220lb. id also suggest Recaros, but they arent going to feel any better than the stockers.

so if you feel ok about sparcos, then go for one of their street sets. IMO, the only ones that look good are the Milanos, or the Monzas. all their other ones look cheesy.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
OT...

Gezz, we could have a "iwsti" football or rugby team with the monsters on this forum.

At 5'9" 155, I'll be water boy... :D

Hawaii_guy

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I went to SEMA, Cobra had a nice varity of seats.

CLICK HERE. There are are few popular brands and you can get teh dimesions and weights of each seat too.

I assume you guys with 36" waist, are haveing problems above that point. I wear 34" paints and the seats feel a bit loose at the seat for competitive driving, but just right for daily enthusiastic driving. However, they get uncomfortable after more than 2 hours of driving, but without spending a ton of money on seats, I can't expect to get both touring comfort and support. The side bolsters were way too far apart. I had to bend my in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Cobra is nice, but expensive. If you want to try a Recaro Sport, all you have to do is head to the nearest Mitsu dealer. That's what they put in the Evos. For me (6'5, 240, 38 in waist) both the sport and the speed were comfortable. Or, you can get real STi seats from Japan, those are supposed to be pretty comfortable for us bigger types.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Gramicci101 said:
Or, you can get real STi seats from Japan, those are supposed to be pretty comfortable for us bigger types.
Are you sure about that? The average Japanese person is smaller than the average American. I've read that the seats in Japan are much tighter fitting than the seats we get.

You might want to double check where you got that info from.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got that from www.spdusa.com Mike has sold a fair number of those seats and would know who they fit.

spdusa said:
There are a limited number of WRX and WRX-RA STI front seat sets available from SPD Tuning. They have the high back similar to a Recaro SR seat. These seats are the same frame construction on bottom as the standard seat with hard foam thigh bolsters and a new, fitted upper seat frame. IF you are over 5’11" and 200 lbs. these seats are to be preferred over the Recaro SRD.
spdusa said:
Larger, taller drivers will prefer the Subaru WRX seat.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
aspensti05 said:
Are you sure about that? The average Japanese person is smaller than the average American. I've read that the seats in Japan are much tighter fitting than the seats we get.

You might want to double check where you got that info from.
I've heard about people getting the JDM seats because the USDM seats are too loose. I'm pretty sure the JDM STi seats are more narrow than what we have.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Gramicci101 I think we are talking about different seats. In your first post it sounded like you were talking about the JDM STi or S203 STi type seats, but in your reply to my post you are talking about WRX or WRX-RA seats.

·
Registered
67 Posts
5'10 225 with 36 inch waist 44 chest. I found the Recaro seats in my old evo to be allot more comfortable, specially at track events. I'm putting some Recaros in my STI for Xmas.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Rootus said:
One thing that may rule out the Recaro Sports is I don't see an option for a 5-point harness (and a 4-point is unacceptable to me). Hrmm....
umm whats wrong with 4 pt?

and umm 5'10" 165lb 34" waist.... what kind of sparcos might be good? i think the milano, torino look pretty good...

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't realize this thread had come back alive :). I'm really leaning towards some blue/black Recaro Sports, in fact doing some shopping this very moment...

FujiApples said:
umm whats wrong with 4 pt?
IMO the 4-pt design is the most dangerous setup you can choose. In a wreck you can slide under the belts, and the only thing to stop you is your neck.

Dave

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Rootus said:
IMO the 4-pt design is the most dangerous setup you can choose. In a wreck you can slide under the belts, and the only thing to stop you is your neck.
But using a 5 or 6 point setup in a car without a roll bar or cage is even more dangerous.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
aspensti05 said:
But using a 5 or 6 point setup in a car without a roll bar or cage is even more dangerous.
I agree -- but these are problems a 4-point setup has as well. I'm just comparing the harness setups. Definitely you should consider other factors like roll cage when putting together a safety plan.

Dave

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Rootus said:
but these are problems a 4-point setup has as well.
I don't agree with that. It is far safer to run a 4 point setup in a car with no roll bar than it is to run a 5-6 point setup in a car with no roll bar. Period.

If the roof is compromised in a car with no bar or cage the 4 point system lets you compress. The 5-6 point setup leaves only your head, neck and spine to compress.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you're considering a 5/6 point harness, why are you even bothering with reclining seats? Most don't have sub strap holes in them. Get a recaro SPA or SPG or something. A 5 point is a little extreme for daily driving anyways.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts