IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Re: Sean's '12 PBP ltd - Suspension and Rim/Tires upgrades coming soon

Guys, I've been reading through ThunderRobos journal and taking some notes. He made a good case for upgrading from the Manleys to the Carrillos. Also I noticed he's going with the 8.2 vs. 9.1 for 91 pump. What are your thoughts on this? I've read a little about it and the stock ratio is 8.2. Wouldn't bumping it up to 9.1 make it harder to tune etc?
Evo's run a 9.0:1 compression ratio. I don't see why we couldn't run it with the same success.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)

Evo's run a 9.0:1 compression ratio. I don't see why we couldn't run it with the same success.
This is true, and they run higher boost but the sti makes more horse and just a little less torque. I see Smitty is running 9.8:1 in his build so it's obviously doable, the question is factoring in pump gas and long term reliability am I better off going 8.2?

Can I run higher boost with 8.2 without going too large and getting boost lag?

Here's a list of parts I've put together from you and Robs recommendations and some journal and web browsing. See anything on there that sends up a red flag?

ECU: Cobb Access Port v2
Block: TopSpeed SS1 Shortblock
Pistons: CP 99.5mm Bore / 8.2 Compression
Rings: OEM
Rods: Carrillo Pro H-beam
Crank: OEM nitrided (if I can find one)
Bearings: ACL
Timing Belt: Gates Racing timing belt kit
Timing belt guide: Tomei
Waterpump: Crawford High flow water pump
Head studs: MAP H11
Case bolts: ARP
Crank pulley: Perrin
Oilpan: Killer B
P/U: *Killer B
Windage tray: Killer B (maybe)
Stock Mount Turbo: ????

·
Registered
7,626 Posts

This is true, and they run higher boost but the sti makes more horse and just a little less torque. I see Smitty is running 9.8:1 in his build so it's obviously doable, the question is factoring in pump gas and long term reliability am I better off going 8.2?

Can I run higher boost with 8.2 without going too large and getting boost lag?

Here's a list of parts I've put together from you and Robs recommendations and some journal and web browsing. See anything on there that sends up a red flag?

ECU: Cobb Access Port v2
Block: TopSpeed SS1 Shortblock
Pistons: CP 99.5mm Bore / 8.2 Compression
Rings: OEM
Rods: Carrillo Pro H-beam
Crank: OEM nitrided (if I can find one)
Bearings: ACL
Timing Belt: Gates Racing timing belt kit
Timing belt guide: Tomei
Waterpump: Crawford High flow water pump
Head studs: MAP H11
Case bolts: ARP
Crank pulley: Perrin
The Evo's make more power and less torque than the STi's ;)

That list looks good to me and while I generally agree with the notion that 8.2:1 will be safer, I still don't see why running a 9.0:1 will be a problem. You will just have to have an impeccably good tuner. I think Topspeed even recommends 8.2:1 on 91 pump builds, but I've never asked their opinion on the matter.

EDIT: That Crawford pump isn't worth it. You can get an 02-05 WRX pump and it is the same thing for much less.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Re: Sean's '12 PBP ltd - Compiling build list - need turbo recommendations

Ok I'll dump the Crawford.

Searching for turbos now. Leaning towards the ATP GTX3071R at the moment but I've got to do some reading on fueling requirements.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ark GRIP exhaust installed. Photos in post #3
No video, it's been done and by people with better audio devices than my iPhone.

The old cans were a lot bigger than I expected, the new ones are quieter unless you get into it some which is pretty nice. Improves cabin noise levels and it seems to spin up a little quicker. I did not want a Leo attractor. I've done e loud pipes thing on a couple bikes and I'm over that now.

The Ark definitely changes sound and volume after some heat cycles. It's deeper than the stock exhaust and getting louder. It still removes a lot of the drone so it's quieter in the car.
I have been thinking of getting the ark exhaust. Is it really quieter than stock in the cabin? I would like something that sounds meaner when I get on the throttle but I DD my car so I need it to be quite during normal driving... Especially since I just picked up some $$ stereo parts for the car.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts

Ok I'll dump the Crawford.

Searching for turbos now. Leaning towards the ATP GTX3071R at the moment but I've got to do some reading on fueling requirements.
Dom 1.5XTR. Full spool at ~3800rpm and holds to redline. No need to go with anything else unless you want more power.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

I have been thinking of getting the ark exhaust. Is it really quieter than stock in the cabin? I would like something that sounds meaner when I get on the throttle but I DD my car so I need it to be quite during normal driving... Especially since I just picked up some $$ stereo parts for the car.
Not much. It's definitely deeper, and it doesn't have the drone which can be so annoying in these poorly insulated cabins. Over time it has gotten louder though which I think is to be expected with insulation breakdown. It's near as loud as stock but a deeper note and it's not overly loud when you get into it a bit. I'm quite happy with mine. I have noticed increased turbo whine on start-up which stops as the engine reaches operating temp.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

Dom 1.5XTR. Full spool at ~3800rpm and holds to redline. No need to go with anything else unless you want more power.
With that turbo will I need new injectors, DP, UP, larger TMIC and CAI? Probably do the DP and CAI anyway but that other stuff is at least another grand... Maybe 2. :)

As I haven't stated my goals maybe this is a good time to do that..

Goals:
Target 380-400whp -*91 Pump, Daily Driver
(1.Reliability 2.Quick Spooling 3.Strong Midrange)

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Re: Sean's '12 PBP ltd - Compiling build list - comments welcome

Any upgraded turbo will need all of that. You are looking for a Dom 1.5XTR or 20G XTR if those are the three things you want.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

Any upgraded turbo will need all of that. You are looking for a Dom 1.5XTR or 20G XTR if those are the three things you want.
After spotting this thread: topspeed-motorsports-dom-1-5-testing-complete.html I'm going with the 1.5 8cm. Those are some mighty fine numbers and it fits right in with my goals. Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,626 Posts

I would do the 10cm. Almost no difference in spool and you can make a little more top end.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

It seems like you have enough knowledge and goal in mind to call the shop you are wanting to work with and talk specifically with them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

It seems like you have enough knowledge and goal in mind to call the shop you are wanting to work with and talk specifically with them.
Well you know how that goes Rob... A little knowledge can get ya in trouble :)

Whatever I've picked up I've picked up here and I appreciate you guys letting me pick your brains. I do have some calls to make starting with TopSpeed (whatever pieces I can get from them I will) and then Surgeline to see what they can do for me on this end. If I can pull the money together for this upgrade the car will go from cool to outstanding.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

I've heard nothing but good things about Topspeed and they will be who I go with for my next tune/upgrades. I personally have experience with Cobb Surgeline and had a great experience with them. I spent probably 1 hour talking on the phone with them...and that was just about Stage 2. Then the tuner there...Lance and Tim...answered every Noob question I had. Also spent about 20 minutes talking about the car and what I want just prior to the tune. Great guys and Oregon has no sales tax! Also...at least when I was there...if you buy your AP from them, your protune is half off.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

Well kids it seemed like an incredibly long time but the rims have finally arrived :D

Kics won't be here till next week and then we're traveling so it's going to be a few weeks before I get them installed and get all the suspension parts on as well, but it's pretty cool just having them for now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Re: Sean's '12 PBP ltd - Advans are HERE!!! :-D

put em on!
I can't wait to put em on but unfortunately I don't have the lug nuts or the sways yet and I want to get everything done at once. Speaking of which I need to go order some axle caps quick time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Re: Sean's '12 PBP ltd - Advans are HERE!!! :-D

Lugs are here, look nice I think.

Unfortunately the sways are back ordered and won't ship another week or two. I'm a little unhappy I had to call them to get a status. :tdown:

Meanwhile I need to get my rear fenders rolled. Hopefully next week if they can fit me in.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Re: Sean's '12 PBP Lugs but no sways = :-(

What kind of lugs and where are they from? There's so many different brands I don't know who to go with :lol:
Project Kics R40 neo. Ordered from evasive motorsports. I went with these because they have a rotating base that is supposed to reduce or prevent scratching of the rims. The Neo chromes are pricey and there are less expensive options.

61 - 80 of 193 Posts