IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 592 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Re: Sean's '13 STI Sedan Build

Great build!

With that built motor that must be a conservative tune?
Do you think you would comfortable be able to get more from it?

That's on a mustang dyno so numbers look low. Also still on a stick turbo. Built motor won't really make anymore power. It's for peace of mind knowing you won't crack ring lands. But i built this motor to handle what is coming in a couple months :rolleyes:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Ordered the parts needed to go speed density:tup:
  • IAG MAF Blockoff Plate
  • AEM IAT Sensor
  • Perrin 4bar MAP Sensor
also ordered a IAG Red Oil Cap because i don't like the yellow oil cap and this one will look nice next to the ETS Stainless Steel piping.

Also ordered some new Greddy exhaust gaskets as mine are getting messed up with when my downpipe and mid pip lost a bolt and gasket slide out and dragged the ground. Also had the happen from mid to y-pipe so i will replace all gaskets and put nice stainless bolts in.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)

forgot to mention i polished my exhaust as well. It was getting a little tarnished as i have never polished it. Used never dull to clean it, wow this stuff is amazing! then used flitz polish to shine it even more and have a protection layer on it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

My ringlands just went for the third time also, very much so over it. Nice build.
damm.... its the worst but you just got to bite the bullet and build it. At least pistons. Then you don't have issues anymore. :tup:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)

Well some parts came in :cool:

IAG Oil Cap

IAG MAF Block Off Plate

AEM IAT Sensor

Perrin 4bar MAP Sensor

All items came packed/wrapped very well. Cant wait to get the FMIC delivered and go speed density:D

·
Registered
205 Posts

Why only a 225 tire on a 10" wide wheel?

·
Registered
862 Posts

Hey Sean, have you received the ETS SS Intake yet? What made you want to switch out your Cobb Intake and go with ETS over AEM or KSTech? IAG cap looks badass!

Great choice on the Greddy exhaust btw!! Amazing sounding exhaust ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Hey Sean, have you received the ETS SS Intake yet? What made you want to switch out your Cobb Intake and go with ETS over AEM or KSTech? IAG cap looks badass!

Great choice on the Greddy exhaust btw!! Amazing sounding exhaust ;)
i origanally bought the Cobb SF as i just wanted to jump right in and have some performance going and having a OTS map made it stupid not to go with the Cobb intake, then of course they came out with the OTS map for AEM intake right after i had the intake :rofl: So the Cobb intake was nice and everything but these dam IAT are crazy!! So i knew i needed to switch to a CAI. I know they make the box for the Cobb intake but i was going to be going FMIC so it would not work. So my main choice for the ETS was because the ETS rotated turbo kit is superior to me than the others so i got the ETS FMIC coming so to compliment the ETS FMIC i got the ETS Intake. (that was a lot of repetition lol). I have EVO buddies (ew:lol:) that love ETS and i have seen the quality of their products and was blown away. So we shall see once i receive everything. Checked tracking and i was showing Friday coming in. I will post up install pics as soon as i get time to install it which is probably after christmas.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)

So got some good and bad news...

lets start with the bad news. So my MAF sensor decided to take a sh** on me when i was at my friends house and my car stalled out because it was so rich. My wideband pegged 10 and car stalled. The smell of e85 was so strong. So i couldn't figure out the problem at first and then I unplugged the MAF just to check on that, car fired right up. so i limped it 10min to my house with MAF unplugged and sprayed cleaner on it. after pulling it out i figured out the issue.. it was from the new Cobb filter i put on ,all the oil caked the sensor but the sensor is permanently damaged :mad:
Long story short the cylinders got washed out and the car is burning oil :crying: did a compression check and all cylinders are slightly low but there is a burning oil smell and some smoke from exhaust.

So now for the good news (your probably thinking how can there be any good news)

My builder is going to replace the pistons under his warranty and we are going to be doing some upgrades as well to complete motor build and get ready for big turbo in a couple of months :rolleyes:. i have to wait 2-3 weeks as he has 4 cars to build and then he can get to mine, so he said just be easy on it and maintain your oil.

So the parts we are going to be doing are Cosworth S2D Cams, Cosworth Valve Springs, BC Retainers, Tomei Timing Belt Guide, ACT XD Street Disk Clutch, Beatrush Motor Mounts, Beatrush Tranny Mount, Doing airpump delete with Nameless Performance blockoff plates.

Pretty stoked to get all this ordered and in the car. Im waiting to see if there is a after Christmas sale before i purchase since i missed all the sales. Car should look and feel different after Christmas.

Just a recap on everything that will be going into car
  • ETS Intake
  • ETS FMIC (Silver core & brushed stainless steel piping)
  • TiAL Q BOV
  • Perrin 4bar MAP Sensor
  • AEM IAT Sensor
  • IAG Oil Cap
  • IAG MAF Blockoff Plate
  • IAG Battery Brace
  • Perrin Boost Cover
  • Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace
  • Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
  • Cosworth S2D Cams
  • Coswoth Valve Springs
  • BC Titanium Retainers
  • Tomei Timing Belt Guide
  • ACT XD Street Disk Clutch
  • Beatrush Motor/Tranny Mounts
  • Airpump Delete

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

ouff! that sucks man! It's pretty cool that the pistons will be warrantied. Good thing you caught that though. Looks like this will be turning into a killer build :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

ouff! that sucks man! It's pretty cool that the pistons will be warrantied. Good thing you caught that though. Looks like this will be turning into a killer build :D
ya blows it happened but luckily i have a shop standing behind their work. We at first just went to a heavier oil and back on pump gas to see if we could get the seal back but it was washed out totally. So i went back and hes like im just going to replace the pistons and rings. And thanks, thats what im going for. Stoked to have the motor fully built now. Im getting it ready for the 35r in a couple months ;). next ill be doing fuel rails, regulator and tgv deletes.

·
Registered
862 Posts

ya blows it happened but luckily i have a shop standing behind their work. We at first just went to a heavier oil and back on pump gas to see if we could get the seal back but it was washed out totally. So i went back and hes like im just going to replace the pistons and rings. And thanks, thats what im going for. Stoked to have the motor fully built now. Im getting it ready for the 35r in a couple months ;). next ill be doing fuel rails, regulator and tgv deletes.
Looking forward to what's coming for the car Sean! Sucks that the engine tanked :( Good choice on the Beatrush mounts, I think you'll really like them! 35r is going to be CRAZY!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Looking forward to what's coming for the car Sean! Sucks that the engine tanked :( Good choice on the Beatrush mounts, I think you'll really like them! 35r is going to be CRAZY!!!
ya whats weird is the car still pulls hard as hell and is running fine, just burning a little oil.

But yes the 3576r should be an amazing setup. Really stoked for it. Just now that im getting ready for it im realizing how much it costs to properly support big power.

·
Registered
497 Posts

So got some good and bad news...

lets start with the bad news. So my MAF sensor decided to take a sh** on me when i was at my friends house and my car stalled out because it was so rich. My wideband pegged 10 and car stalled. The smell of e85 was so strong. So i couldn't figure out the problem at first and then I unplugged the MAF just to check on that, car fired right up. so i limped it 10min to my house with MAF unplugged and sprayed cleaner on it. after pulling it out i figured out the issue.. it was from the new Cobb filter i put on ,all the oil caked the sensor but the sensor is permanently damaged :mad:
Long story short the cylinders got washed out and the car is burning oil :crying: did a compression check and all cylinders are slightly low but there is a burning oil smell and some smoke from exhaust.

So now for the good news (your probably thinking how can there be any good news)

My builder is going to replace the pistons under his warranty and we are going to be doing some upgrades as well to complete motor build and get ready for big turbo in a couple of months :rolleyes:. i have to wait 2-3 weeks as he has 4 cars to build and then he can get to mine, so he said just be easy on it and maintain your oil.

So the parts we are going to be doing are Cosworth S2D Cams, Cosworth Valve Springs, BC Retainers, Tomei Timing Belt Guide, ACT XD Street Disk Clutch, Beatrush Motor Mounts, Beatrush Tranny Mount, Doing airpump delete with Nameless Performance blockoff plates.

Pretty stoked to get all this ordered and in the car. Im waiting to see if there is a after Christmas sale before i purchase since i missed all the sales. Car should look and feel different after Christmas.

Just a recap on everything that will be going into car
  • ETS Intake
  • ETS FMIC (Silver core & brushed stainless steel piping)
  • TiAL Q BOV
  • Perrin 4bar MAP Sensor
  • AEM IAT Sensor
  • IAG Oil Cap
  • IAG MAF Blockoff Plate
  • IAG Battery Brace
  • Perrin Boost Cover
  • Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace
  • Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
  • Cosworth S2D Cams
  • Coswoth Valve Springs
  • BC Titanium Retainers
  • Tomei Timing Belt Guide
  • ACT XD Street Disk Clutch
  • Beatrush Motor/Tranny Mounts
  • Airpump Delete
how did you know your car was burning oil after the cobb filter?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

how did you know your car was burning oil after the cobb filter?

I did a replacement filter as mine was collapsing and crushed. Noticed blue oil on MAF when I cleaned it. I never had an issue with oil consumption until I flooded motor from MAF screwing up

21 - 40 of 592 Posts