1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru WRX STI Limited
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Current modifications:

Motor / Drivetrain:

• Grimmspeed catted downpipe (10/17/2021)
  • Grimmspeed Stealthbox intake (10/17/2021)
  • Cobb Accessport - tuned by Drunkmann Tuning - (10/17/2021)
  • AEM 340lph E85-compatible fuel pump (10/26/2021)
  • Grimmspeed boost control solenoid (10/30/2021)
  • Invidia R400 catback (10/30/2021)
  • NGK Iridium 2309 1 step colder spark plugs (11/13/2021)

Suspension:​

• Cusco rear strut tower bar (10/28/2021)
  • Airlift 3P air ride kit with Air Zenith compressor (on hold for now, need to focus on other things....)
  • H&R Sport Springs (11/14/2021)

Exterior:

• Windows tinted 20% all around (10/26/2021)
  • Rota Strike - 18x9.5" +38; Michelin Pilot Spot 4 A/S 245/35/18 (11/22/2021)
  • SBTK fog light deletes (to be installed soon)
  • Bayson R MPX style front lip (to be installed soon)

Interior:

• STI logo steering wheel decal (10/19/2021)
  • MachV trunk handle strap (10/22/2021)
  • JDM push button start cover in red (10/22/2021)
  • MachV Accessport vent mount (10/28/2021)
  • OEM silver lower steering wheel trim (10/28/2021)
  • OEM silver dash trim (10/29/2021)
Extras:

• Fumoto F-105 oil drain valve (11/06/2021)
  • Grimmspeed 12mm poly exhaust hangers (11/06/2021)
  • McGard SplineDrive lug nuts in black (11/22/2021)

Maintenance:
  • Post break in oil change - Motul X-Cess 5w-40 and Mazda N3R1-14-302 oil filter (1,200 miles - 11/06/2021)
  • New tires - Michelin Pilot Spot 4 A/S 245/35/18 (1,600 miles - 11/22/2021)

Index:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
10/19/2021 - Introduction and stock car photos:

Hey all! I've been a member here for a few years, as I owned a 2002 WRX and a 2005 STI a while back, but unfortunately had sold both to get back into some American muscle. I purchased a 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack shortly before the pandemic started, and planned on buying a daily to keep it in the garage, which ended up being a 2004 Audi TT Quattro. I love both cars, but with the pandemic hitting my industry a bit hard, the increased insurance and gas prices, and the fact that I had plans for both cars that were just too bit to do at the same time, it made sense to start contemplating other car choices.​
Car Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle Wheel
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Plant
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting
About a month ago, my wife and I decided to look at the trade in value on the Challenger, and since it was basically what we paid two years prior, we opted to get rid of both cars and get back into a Subaru. I know there is a lot of back and forth on the new models coming out, but I have always loved the STI platform with all of its benefits and problems, and couldn't see myself waiting for something else to come out in a year or more. I also had debated buying used, but going from a new car to a used one did feel weird, and I am a bit obsessive with details so preferred to just buy brand new. We found two new STI Limiteds with a lip spoilers locally, and decided to pull the trigger on the Crystal White Pearl one.​
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille Car
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Grille
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Tire Car Vehicle
I know, you all have seen a stock VA body STI plenty of times, but I figured I will document my (most likely slow) progress with this car at every stage, and have also been trying to focus on my photography a bit more. I have already installed a Grimmspeed catted downpipe and Stealthbox intake that I got from a local guy parting his car out, as well as an Accessport. I have an AEM fuel pump, Grimmspeed ECBS, and Cobb titanium catback on the way, and will hopefully be getting tuned by Felix Performance on November 13th. I do also plan on swapping the current trunk for one with a wing, hopefully I will be able to find one in decent shape relatively quickly.​
As you can see, I am a bit obsessive about how I set up my build threads, as I have owned a lot of cars over the years, and have done this many times. This time I really hope to FINISH a build; meaning get the bulk of my plans done and actually have a story worth following. Stay tuned for more, even if it does move slow for a bit!​

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice to see another Limited with the wing delete.
I can't say I'll be this way for long, I have posted pretty much everywhere I can asking to swap trunks. I miss having the wing... 😭​

how funny is it when people are shocked af that its a sit with out the big wing?
Honestly the car gets pretty much zero attention right now, and I'm not sure how much the wing has to do with it. It's probably because it is stock as shit, but I'm sure the lip spoiler just makes the car seem so unassuming as well.​

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can't say I'll be this way for long, I have posted pretty much everywhere I can asking to swap trunks. I miss having the wing... 😭

Honestly the car gets pretty much zero attention right now, and I'm not sure how much the wing has to do with it. It's probably because it is stock as shit, but I'm sure the lip spoiler just makes the car seem so unassuming as well.
The WRX and STI without the Wing is somewhat plain looking (compared to most new cars that have a bolder designs) that most non-car people won't give it a second glance (which can be a good thing). I'm in my 40s and took the wing off, cause I thought I was too old for it. But for some reason I just enjoy the car more with it, so it's back on. I haven't had any issues with people trying to race me or the Cops with the wing. I do think if I had to deal with bro-street racers, I'd rethink my stance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't say I'll be this way for long, I have posted pretty much everywhere I can asking to swap trunks. I miss having the wing... 😭

Honestly the car gets pretty much zero attention right now, and I'm not sure how much the wing has to do with it. It's probably because it is stock as shit, but I'm sure the lip spoiler just makes the car seem so unassuming as well.
I dig the lack of attention until they see the big yellow callipers . always been a fan of sleepers tho

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The WRX and STI without the Wing is somewhat plain looking (compared to most new cars that have a bolder designs) that most non-car people won't give it a second glance (which can be a good thing). I'm in my 40s and took the wing off, cause I thought I was too old for it. But for some reason I just enjoy the car more with it, so it's back on. I haven't had any issues with people trying to race me or the Cops with the wing. I do think if I had to deal with bro-street racers, I'd rethink my stance.
Yeah, I am 33, so not quite young enough to be in the younger category, but not old enough to feel like I need to "grow up" in any ways. I honestly don't really care about the attention, since I don't really drive in a way that would bring extra unwanted attention my way, but I do feel like the wing is just so iconic for the STI platform that I need to have it. But I do agree on the design being a bit bland in a way without it as well.​

I dig the lack of attention until they see the big yellow callipers . always been a fan of sleepers tho
I think my problem with the sleeper idea is that I would want to make sure it was one hell of a sleeper if I were to go that route, to REALLY shock people. But I usually tend to go somewhat mild on engine builds (in comparison to a lot of crazy ass builds I see out there), and feel like I just want to make something that looks and drives how I want it. I have debated getting another Mini Cooper in the future for a real sleeper build :devilish:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I am 33, so not quite young enough to be in the younger category, but not old enough to feel like I need to "grow up" in any ways. I honestly don't really care about the attention, since I don't really drive in a way that would bring extra unwanted attention my way, but I do feel like the wing is just so iconic for the STI platform that I need to have it. But I do agree on the design being a bit bland in a way without it as well.

I think my problem with the sleeper idea is that I would want to make sure it was one hell of a sleeper if I were to go that route, to REALLY shock people. But I usually tend to go somewhat mild on engine builds (in comparison to a lot of crazy ass builds I see out there), and feel like I just want to make something that looks and drives how I want it. I have debated getting another Mini Cooper in the future for a real sleeper build :devilish:
the s209 style wing would prob be the one id considering getting since all the wrx boys get the sti wing. I love minis

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
the s209 style wing would prob be the one id considering getting since all the wrx boys get the sti wing. I love minis
I thought about that, but I just feel like the paint matched STI wing fills out the back end so well. I actually quite like the APR wings too, but I only think I could do it on a darker car to balance the small trunk area out better.​
And Minis are surprisingly badass. I would actually love an older RHD Austin Mini, but I had a R53 and R56 Mini Cooper at one point and loved them. I think a K24 or even a VW VR6 swap would be killer in one.​
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Plant

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Welcome! looks good. So did that challenger. I’m on my 3rd STi since 2007 and I had two separate trunks for the last two. I could swap the trunk in 10 minutes depending on how I felt that day haha. My 2020 is just lip spoiler but I will eventually get a winged trunk too, either from a wrecked STi or have one made.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Welcome! looks good. So did that challenger. I’m on my 3rd STi since 2007 and I had two separate trunks for the last two. I could swap the trunk in 10 minutes depending on how I felt that day haha. My 2020 is just lip spoiler but I will eventually get a winged trunk too, either from a wrecked STi or have one made.
Oh man, that is a solid idea, but I don't think I could commit the money to that.... Maybe in the future, or I'll snag a carbon duckbill trunk to swap in and out.​
Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Car
AEM fuel pump arrived yesterday, along with the Grimmspeed ECBS. I just hit 1000 miles, and am just under a half tank of gas, so I'll probably install the fuel pump tonight and then throw on the ECBS at the tuners shop right before I get it tuned. I decided not to do the Cobb titanium catback, partially to save a little money on exhaust and partially because I decided I wanted a bit more deep rumble sound than the more aggressive titanium sound. I may change my mind in the future, but I ordered the Invidia R400 which should be here on Thursday.​

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
11/01/2021 - Getting loud:

This week / weekend was fairly productive, as I was able to install the fuel pump, boost controller, and catback, as well as some interior goodies. I didn't get a chance to photograph the interior, but I swapped out the piano black dash trim and steering wheel trim for the OEM silver, replaced my shitty 3D printed AP vent holder with the nicer one from MachV, and got my windows tinted (20%). I also installed the Cusco reat strut tower bar, as I needed to figure out its placement before I started mounting my air tank for the bag setup just to make sure I had the right spacing for it.​
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire
Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate Car Wheel
Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
I'm going to keep working on the air setup, although I am still waiting to buy a few parts before I can finish everything off... ideally I want to finish the suspension before I invest in anything else big, but I may have found a trade for my wheels that would make me happy. I really don't like the stock wheels at all with the two tone thing going on...​
Edit: Took a few shots of my buddies WRX as well while we were washing cars:​
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Wheel Automotive tail & brake light
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
After having the exhaust for a little bit now, I have to say it is really growing on me quite a bit. I have to say that the Invidia R400 was honestly a bit too rumbly for me, without any real aggressive tone like I was used to on my old Tomei system. Although I was looking for a lot of rumble, I was hoping to have a tiny bit of rasp and not just all bass. Driving with it for about a week, it honestly sounds great. I still may consider a titanium system in the future, preferably the RK Titanium track system, but I do think it might be too loud for my wife to deal with.​
I did have to order the Grimmspeed exhaust hangers, as I am definitely not thrilled with the fit on this right now, and after fiddling with things for about an hour last night I just gave up. Hopefully the two different mounting points will allow me to dial this fit in better.​
I also have another potential trunk swap candidate, keep your fingers crossed for me on that one...Their STI should arrive at the dealer between the 12th and 15th, and they are eager to swap right away.​

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
11/13/2021 - Tuned; part one:

First tune was done today, thanks to Anthony Berry / Drunkmann Tuning at Felix Performance. I say first tune, as I had to compromise between doing a few things to get more power (safely) and not breaking the bank like crazy right off the bat while I have other things to focus on. In all fairness, I actually had zero intentions of engine modifications just yet, as I really wanted to get the exterior more where I wanted it before doing anything else since I still am not 100% sold on the styling yet.​
I know, I know; onto the results. I made 329 whp and 368 torque, which actually isn't bad considering what I have done so far. I was certainly limited by being on stock injectors, but I just didn't want to spend they money just yet and have much bigger plans for the future anyway. Motor safety was paramount for me at this stage of the game.​

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

The status of the motor at this point:​
Mileage: 1,513 miles​
Compression test: Cylinder 4: 138 Cylinder 2: 134 Cylinder 1: 132 Cylinder 2: 133​

• Grimmspeed catted downpipe
  • Grimmspeed Stealthbox intake
  • AEM 340lph E85-compatible fuel pump
  • Grimmspeed boost control solenoid
  • Invidia R400 catback
  • NGK Iridium 2309 1 step colder spark plugs
Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I know it might seem a little underwhelming, but I am happy with at least getting a solid boost in power above stock, bringing me a little bit closer to the feeling I miss from the Challenger. Once I'm satisfied with the exterior, I'll definitely start planning out a much more significant build and prep for the second tune. Stay tuned for more :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, part one of my wheel setup came in today...the wheels themselves! I had been debating between doing a summer and winter setup, but I think for now it just makes sense to just do one set and run all seasons. I opted to go with the Speed Bronze colored Rota Strike in 18x9.5" +38, and will be running 245/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S tires on them. Yes, I'm going with a bit of stretch, as I do still hope to be on air in the nearish future, and want that super flush fitment without much camber. I will likely test fit tonight or tomorrow to make sure I definitely am happy with these before mounting tires, but I doubt I'll be able to get these on the car before Thanksgiving due to some work travel.​

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hubcap

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice wheels! I'm running All seasons with no issues. I'm in Northern VA so I think an High Performance A/S suites me well as we don't get enough snow to warrant a dedicated tire. You car is coming together nicely!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts