IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Re: New 04 STi owner!

Lol yea that's like my dream. I wouldn't even be able to handle all that power tho. I can barely handle this car at WOT right now lol

Hit 130mph last night tho lol

Hope she still loves me... put her through some shit last night lol

Need to get new struts ASAP

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Lol yea that's like my dream. I wouldn't even be able to handle all that power tho. I can barely handle this car at WOT right now lol

Hit 130mph last night tho lol

Hope she still loves me... put her through some shit last night lol

Need to get new struts ASAP
Tsk tsk, have you been street racing? Lol

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

Tsk tsk, have you been street racing? Lol

If you consider racing myself then yes lol but haven't found anyone that wanted to play yet.

I thought some kid in a mustang was gonna play the other night but he went straight instead of turned onto the highway lol

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

If you consider racing myself then yes lol but haven't found anyone that wanted to play yet.

I thought some kid in a mustang was gonna play the other night but he went straight instead of turned onto the highway lol
Haha, people seem to leave me alone as well, maybe it's my tinted windows ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

I wanna get my windows tinted as well. Cars look so much better with tinted windows lol

Think I'm gonna order the struts today

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)

Almost had a beamer play with me the other night but nope... lol

So I ordered the revalved struts with the grease fitting from feal.

Might take a while to get them tho because I got an e-mail from Odi saying he was out of the office.

Either way, I was thinking, I should probably order some new tophats to put on when I put these fresh struts on.

So thoughts on best tophat setup just for having some fun... I was figuring just Grp N front + rear

any other suggestions?

It would probably be real stupid to keep running on the stock tophats right?

side note: hit 136k today! :)

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts

So thoughts on best tophat setup just for having some fun... I was figuring just Grp N front + rear

any other suggestions?

It would probably be real stupid to keep running on the stock tophats right?
right. grp ns. had them matched with pinks (the real pinks) before i swapped to coilovers and they were great. have myles at rce match you up with the right springs.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

right. grp ns. had them matched with pinks (the real pinks) before i swapped to coilovers and they were great. have myles at rce match you up with the right springs.
Prodrive Red's are already mounted on my stock struts so I was gonna get them moved over onto the new ones from feal...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

So for front and rear Group N mounts off SubaruGenuineParts it's about $377 after shipping...

Off of Oakos its $377 before shipping.

Should I just order from SGP? Or does anyone know a better deal?

It's not worth buying them used... so I think I'm just gonna order off SGP unless someone has a suggestion before tomorrow morning.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

Call Oakos in the morning and see if they will match or better SGP. If you were local they offer cash discounts to walk in customers. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)

Ok a few things on my mind.

If Oakos can beat or match the price, should I bother ordering anything else while I am at it?

Reviewing some of my logs, my fuel pump duty is at 100 quite a bit.

Is this concerning or not really?

Is that a result of fuel pump maxed out or clogged injectors? is there anyway to tell?

I'm also going to need a EBC when I go to get a protune most likely. I believe Mike Botti likes you to atleast have a EBC for stage 2 protune.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Ok a few things on my mind.

If Oakos can beat or match the price, should I bother ordering anything else while I am at it?

Reviewing some of my logs, my fuel pump duty is at 100 quite a bit.

Is this concerning or not really?

Is that a result of fuel pump maxed out or clogged injectors? is there anyway to tell?

I'm also going to need a EBC when I go to get a protune most likely. I believe Mike Botti likes you to atleast have a EBC for stage 2 protune.
Get an A pillar gauge pod while you're at it and I can hook you up with a boost gauge. ;)

100% duty cycle is most likely due to the ots tune. Does it only happen in the higher rpms?

hmmm...Mikey never mentioned needing an EBCS when he tuned my car.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #94

Get an A pillar gauge pod while you're at it and I can hook you up with a boost gauge. ;)

100% duty cycle is most likely due to the ots tune. Does it only happen in the higher rpms?

hmmm...Mikey never mentioned needing an EBCS when he tuned my car.

I'm still trying to see if I can get the Genome gauges hooked back up somehow.

When I asked him about the bugeye he recommending getting a EBCS.. maybe he only suggests them for wrx's? Idk... I'll ask again when I'm closer to that.

For now I just had Oakos match the price and I'm gonna wait on the other things I decided... Realistically I should be investing in snow tires and just waiting to tune and upgrade when spring time comes...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)

Okay so I'm up the mountains and ended up ripping off my under tray, today I noticed my car starting to get hot... got underneath and there is some coolant leaking from somewhere...

the overflow tank is filled to the top so I think It might be boiling over or something and coming through the top...

also I have two wire coming off of my oil filter with wire harnesses on the end that were connected before I came up here. any idea where these connect to?

the part that is really confusing me is that I am up the mountains in 32 degree air... probably colder... i have the heat on... the car should have no chance to over heat

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Okay so I'm up the mountains and ended up ripping off my under tray, today I noticed my car starting to get hot... got underneath and there is some coolant leaking from somewhere...

the overflow tank is filled to the top so I think It might be boiling over or something and coming through the top...

also I have two wire coming off of my oil filter with wire harnesses on the end that were connected before I came up here. any idea where these connect to?
Did you check the radiator hoses?

Check to see if you have a sandwich adapter above your oil filter, sounds like you have gauge sensors hooked up.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

Did you check the radiator hoses?

Check to see if you have a sandwich adapter above your oil filter, sounds like you have gauge sensors hooked up.

neither seem to be obviously leaking. there is coolant near the lower but just dripped on it, it looks like it coming from above. I'm kinda convinced it was overflowing out of the overflow tank, but I checked the reservoir (the one near the turbo) and it seemed low, so I took some from the overflow tank and put it in there, and took a drive and it seemed to be better but I didn't go very far.

yes I think they do go to the gauges (that don't work) I found where they connect to and they go straight to the glove box which is where the control module is, so I think that is just a complete unrelated problem.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #98

Well pretty convinced that moving the excess from the overflow tank into the reservoir near the turbo fixed my overheating problems.. or I have a small leak that is letting air into the system because all I did was open up all the caps check the levels and move the excess out of the overflow..

the tube that runs into the overflow tank was getting so hot that it was beginning to deteriorate...

I kinda think at one point I just pushed her too hard while my rad fans were completely blocked up with snow and I just boiled some of it... not too sure really but it was very random how it happened and how the car acted during that period of time...

Either way, i made it home just fine with no signs of overheating during the 230ish mile, 4 hr trip home... it is so fun but so sad leaving and coming down the mountain, so beautiful but then you remember you are leaving this place... either way i'll be back up there soon enough but I think it would be smart to wait until I get some things taken care of...

so now on the to do list is

1) get the new struts on ASAP
2) replace the undertray that I lost with atleast a 1/8" aluminum skidplate
3) maybe make some custom fender liners for the front that bolt into the skidplate for full coverage under there...
4) get bumper reattached better then zipties or put on the quick release kit that I already have
5) snow tires (but i have to say these Continental DWS did phenomenal! I'll tell you more about that later)
6) I should probably give her a nice bath too lol

There are deff some things I'm forgetting but those are at the top of my list haha

So I don't have much money left but it is cyber monday! Anyone know of any sweet deals going on right now?

Oh about the tires tho, the snow depth varied a lot but I think there were times where I was going through a good 5-6" of fresh powder, up hill with no problems at all...

I also climbed a very steep hill with a pretty thick layer of ice, just crawling up in 2nd gear ( i think)

And the few times I did get myself in bad situations, the locking diff saved my freaking life! There were a few times I didn't even think I'd be able to get my self out but the car creeped out on it's own everytime... had no need for the tow strap that I bought just in case... I am impressed with the diffs and the fact the tires allowed enough grip... I will recommend these tires to anyone who knows they will not get more than 4-6" of snow without much elevation changes, but next time I go up. there will probably be more like a foot and I know snow tires will make a big difference...

To finish off the post, I think it's only right to leave you guys with some pictures!

In no particular order at all... but you can kinda tells which pics are from when i first got there lol

I kinda think the wheels look better like this lol

she was craving the white stuff...

spotted this while I was up there LOL

glad I didn't come home looking like that...

NO PLATES!

this what happens when you lose your undertray...

can't even read the sti logo on the door anymore :/

Before she hit the trails too hard..

what do you guys think of the black fog covers tho?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Lol glad you're having fun with the car and testing it's rally heritage!

Skid plates and mud flaps would give it proper rally car status. ;)

BTW what mountain is that?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #100

Ohh yea. No reason to buy a Sti and not take it off pavement. That is a sin...

Yea skidpkate and mud flaps coming soon. I don't mind the skid plate but the cost of mud flaps makes me want to throw up tho lol

The mountain I was on is in between blossburg and Mansfield PA. I'm not sure the actual town I was in or if it even has a name to be honest but the two closest towns with cell phone service are blossburg and Mansfield.

You get no service at the house I was staying at but they do have WiFi luckily lol

81 - 100 of 803 Posts