IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Re: New 04 STi owner!

so judging by this pic, I think you are right. I do have the pinned axles...

now I just need to convince my mechanic that I don't need a splined axle...

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts

Yeppppppp. .......now where's my twenty?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)

Changed oil with rotella T6 and OEM blue filter yesterday.

Saving up for the revalved struts from Odi.

Gonna have that and the axle situation figured out at the same time hopefully.

Need to grab the missing intake piece from my buddy and get that put back on.

need to buy some bolts for under tray because right now it only has 3 holding it up.

Also there seemed to be oil or something leaking from where the oil filter screws into...

I think I might have a warped rotor as well...

Lol bunch of little things but so far she seems healthy...

I've been giving her the torture test and so far so good.

Only thing that worries me is it seems like I have overboosted it a time or two so far...

AP read 19.1 at one point and AFAIK on this map it should only be hitting 17.5 +/- .8

Could I be making more boost because I am closer to Sea Level? how worried should I be about this?

I've only gotten one datalog in because the AP does not stay connected very well when going through the gears...

I'll post up the datalog for you guys to evaluate when I get on my laptop but from what I see and have read, all the values seem to be within the normal values

EDIT: whats the best way to post a datalog for you guys?

It's too long of a log to just take a screenshot of it...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

I decided to just take multiple screenshots an post them in series...

here ya go (for anyone who cares)

ALSO recommendations on headers and catback?

Heatshields on Headers are rusted away and rattling like crazy...

realized it has 3" DP, to stock 2.5" midpipe and aftermarket 2.5" axleback...

I'd really like to just make it all 3" but I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud.

part of me just wants to put back on the stock STi axleback but I know thats 2.5" so idk what to do...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Is column C boost? Looks like you're pulling -1.4* timing at part throttle from 4200-4900 rpm and -2* at WOT from 5380 to 6700 rpm (I'm assuming this was in 4th gear), which is really concerning because it's knocking at high rpm, high load under WOT. There's a possibility it's a heatshield rattling around since it's feedback knock, but it's a bit scary given that it happens at high rpm and WOT.

Maybe try to switch to the 91 octane map, or the low wastegate map, which could fix your overboosting problem too, although +0.8 psi over target isn't really a big deal.

3" all the way will be louder than it's current setup, but can't really do much about that, unless you stay stock axleback.

EL headers will make it a bit quieter so that might be a worthwhile upgrade.

killer B headers are probably the best available but will cost about twice that of a Tomei header, which is also a good choice and also what I'm running on my car. Gains are similar but KillerB is made of 321 stainless and should be the toughest header around.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

Use Google docs for logs. Make sure you make them public. As long as you find the right cat back system the car won't be too loud. I have the gimmick cat back and it's pretty mild. The stock axle back won't be restrictive at stage 2 power levels really. 19psi is a bit high, but nothing crazy. I don't think the AP for the 04 came with hwg/lwg maps from Cobb but I could be wrong. I have the tomei EL headers and up pipe and it's a great value. Wanna spend more? Killer B or invidia race headers, unless you want to keep the rumble, but EL is the way to go!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)

Think I'm gonna pick up a pair of ported and ceramic coated OEM headers from Neanderthal racing just to fix the rattling for now...

As for the knock, that was only one pull, one log. I would like to fill her up again and do some more logs.

I was under the impression that within 2 was fine for knock or at least that's what some guy in a Cobb tuning video said... lol

Also for exhaust, is bad to go 3 to 2.5? Or no big deal really? I just assumed it was bad...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Think I'm gonna pick up a pair of ported and ceramic coated OEM headers from Neanderthal racing just to fix the rattling for now...

As for the knock, that was only one pull, one log. I would like to fill her up again and do some more logs.

I was under the impression that within 2 was fine for knock or at least that's what some guy in a Cobb tuning video said... lol
I think most guys on here would disagree with what the Cobb video said haha. More logs would be great.

How much is the coated OEM header?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

Hahaha ok. I'll try to get a log tomorrow morning or tonight.

I don't know if he wants me to put price out there but its way under any aftermarket header...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

That's the impression I got. He said he was using it on his 630whp Sti. But now he needs to upgrade now that he's trying to break into the 7s

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts

That's the impression I got. He said he was using it on his 630whp Sti. But now he needs to upgrade now that he's trying to break into the 7s
we're hoping to see 9s.

it's a port matched crucial racing thermal coated oem manifold. try saying that fast.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

It was rainy out this morning, I didn't have much gas and it was the morning rush so I didn't do any pulls or take any logs, despite the temptations...

I may try to get one later this afternoon tho.

Also my airbag light come on out of nowhere? of course, after I let a friend drive the car... should have known better...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

The airbag light is just the connector underneath one of your front seats, 99% of the time. The connectors suck so they wiggle around too much and lose connection. Just snug it back up and tape them up or something :)

Also, that timing being pulled wouldn't really concern me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)

Yea I got the airbag light off for now.

Idk what to think of the timing being pulled. I guess after I get all the trivial stuff fixed I will start thinking more about what to do next engine wise.

Most likely I will do some more small simple bolt on stuff and then get a protune and hope for the power train to last another year or two of (ab)use. ;)

Then after that hopefully I have a lot of money saved up by that time...

One day I really want do a flat 6 turbo... but that won't be for a while.

61 - 80 of 803 Posts