IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Re: New 04 STi owner!

I say just go OEM, especially since those are parts you'll probably never need to replace again for the remaining life of the engine.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Yea good call

I thought fuel filter was a once every 30k miles thing tho?

Good news, I downloaded the entire service manual for 2004 Sti and saved it to my computer so I can never lose it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Yea good call

I thought fuel filter was a once every 30k miles thing tho?

Good news, I downloaded the entire service manual for 2004 Sti and saved it to my computer so I can never lose it.
I was just generalizing haha, fuel filters don't cost much anyway.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Yea. Well waiting to hear the assessment from my mechanic. Hopefully should be getting list of parts I need to order and cost for all the labor. Will update when I get the word

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

For now here is copy of the text message my mechanic sent me.

Okay so for your check engine light it looks like he had this thing under water. The canister vent valve is shot and not opening and closing. For now I'd just replace the vent valve to see if that fixes the problem cause here's no way to check on how the canister is itself. Hopefully just the valve will fix your issues
The fans weren't working but that was just a missing fuse. As for now I poped a new fuse in and everything has been running okay..not sure why he took it out
Your gonna need two exhuast gaskets and studs cause the exhaust is about to fall down to three pieces
Your power steering pump is leaking. That's the main leak u have coming down and making your exhaust smoke
The right front axel boot is ripped
You'll need a rear diff service down as well as the rear diff sensor and upper pig tail. The wire is just hanging not sure where the pig tail to snap it into the sensor and the other sensor in the back is cracked.
As for as the electrical. Your dlc plus is worn and so is the Cobb ap. I tried to get int there and take it apart and snugg the terminals together and it works alittle better but the ap is worn too so not much you can do
As far as the gauges wiring. That's just gonna come down to hourly repairs on that. I have I try and find a diagram and terminals small enough to fit into the control box. Looks like he just ripped that shit out and cut off the ends...
I'm waiting to hear back from subaru and I'll have a better estimate for you for each job

Anyone know part number for front axle?
Also where should I order exhaust gasket and studs from? Order from Subaru while I'm ordering everything else or?

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts

Wow, what a nightmare.

I can't offer any advice - but I hope you get it all worked out. At least you know now what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

What is he referring to by "DLC plus"? Why did the previous owner decide to rip the gauge cluster out? If the gauge harness is still OK, then maybe you can just source the same harness connectors and solder or crimp it into the existing harness.

A PS leak is dangerous as it can cause fires or make you lose steering, that's probably the biggest thing to fix right now.

Missing the fan fuse? huh? He probably used that fuse to replace a blown fuse on another circuit.

Lots of small stuff but at least no seriously major issues.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

I imagine he's referring to the obd2 port where he says dlc. My AP and obd2 port don't get along very well either. Pretty sure the problem on mine is just the dongle thing from Cobb.

As far as the front axle goes, I just bought a 50 dollar one from rockauto. I have yet to install it but I don't think I'll have any issues. I think oem ones are 3-400 bucks. No thanks.

Is this an early production 04? Is the fuel filter in the engine bay or part of the fuel pump assembly? Mine is a mid year 04, so the fuel filter is part of the pump assembly. 140k miles on mine and it's the original, though I plan on replacing it. Early 04's had the filter in the engine bay, which is supposed to be replaced every 30k. Subaru doesn't specify on the in-tank filter.

Good to see your overheating issue was something simple :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

What is he referring to by "DLC plus"? Why did the previous owner decide to rip the gauge cluster out? If the gauge harness is still OK, then maybe you can just source the same harness connectors and solder or crimp it into the existing harness.

A PS leak is dangerous as it can cause fires or make you lose steering, that's probably the biggest thing to fix right now.

Missing the fan fuse? huh? He probably used that fuse to replace a blown fuse on another circuit.

Lots of small stuff but at least no seriously major issues.
willub was right, he meant odb2 port

not sure about the gauge cluster.

yea need to figure out the PS leak, at first I wasn't too concerned but now I see what your saying...

Just glad it's nothing major like you said...

I imagine he's referring to the obd2 port where he says dlc. My AP and obd2 port don't get along very well either. Pretty sure the problem on mine is just the dongle thing from Cobb.

As far as the front axle goes, I just bought a 50 dollar one from rockauto. I have yet to install it but I don't think I'll have any issues. I think oem ones are 3-400 bucks. No thanks.

Is this an early production 04? Is the fuel filter in the engine bay or part of the fuel pump assembly? Mine is a mid year 04, so the fuel filter is part of the pump assembly. 140k miles on mine and it's the original, though I plan on replacing it. Early 04's had the filter in the engine bay, which is supposed to be replaced every 30k. Subaru doesn't specify on the in-tank filter.

Good to see your overheating issue was something simple :)
I read that subaru uses different design for Cv joint that aftermarket companies don't use and they don't hold up as well..
please keep me updated on your experience with the rock auto axle... I am really debating buying one but I don't want to cheap out...

not sure, need to check build date...

thanks for the help

Eh a bad obd2 port would be very annoying. :/
yup...

Haha, at least you have the right thinking about being optimistic.

gotta stay optimistic! I wouldn't be so optimistic if I did need HG or a new turbo tho lol

For right now, I'm gonna order the diff sensor, diff gasket, and vent valve. I'm gonna tell him to start working on PS leak and the exhaust tomorrow.

I still need to do some thinking on what axles to buy and I don't care about the electrical stuff really.

Since it was just a fuse, I'm not gonna replace thermostat or anything like that, and I'm not gonna bother with a new gas cap until after the new vent valve goes on

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Looks like the car might have a pretty strong heart, so once you work out the peripheral issues, it could still be a very enjoyable car. :) hmmm... 48 hours of ti-state?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

Oh and is this rear diff clunk occurring when you engage the clutch or shortly after? If so, I bet it's the bushings. I changed the fluid in mine hoping to fix it but it didn't. Companies make bushings specifically for that clunk. I think I used the perrin bushings.

TiC Klunk killer - comfort

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Looks like the car might have a pretty strong heart, so once you work out the peripheral issues, it could still be a very enjoyable car. :) hmmm... 48 hours of ti-state?
yea she seems to have a strong heart from what I've seen/experienced... she deff pulls hard IMO

I'm lost on the second part tho. ti-state? 48hrs? huh?

Congratulations! Glad to see it go to someone who wants to restore it to its former glory.
Thank you! I hope I can do her some justice.

Oh and is this rear diff clunk occurring when you engage the clutch or shortly after? If so, I bet it's the bushings. I changed the fluid in mine hoping to fix it but it didn't. Companies make bushings specifically for that clunk. I think I used the perrin bushings.

TiC Klunk killer - comfort

it's hard to tell if it's the struts, which I know are clunking, or if it's the diff as well. I think I may have heard the binding due to it being put into Full Lock mode because the R. Diff Temp light is on, on the dash. After the sensor and fluid/gasket change, if it is still making noise, then we will focus on the struts.

After that I will slowly begin upgrading things, bushings being at the top of my list.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

well mechanic says the PS leak is the pump itself so I guess I need to buy a new one or rebuild the old one?

Would one from rockauto be okay?

and advice on the rockauto axles would also be appreciated.

sucks because both parts from dealer are like $300

·
Registered
2,869 Posts

I got surtrac axles from a local advance auto up the road from me. They doing pretty well, have taken a good amount of launches.

21 - 40 of 803 Posts