IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone I bought this scoobie back in October! It really needed some love and it has gotten it's fair share of love and abuse ;) But this girl loves it rough! LOL For now I am just enjoying the car and hoping that nothing blows up soon!
Honestly if nothing breaks I will probably keep the car "Stage 2" forever! I am just going with the flow right now!

How the car sits now (12/3/16)

ENGINE:

JRTUNED -322whp/374tq
Speed Density
Agency power ELH
Invidia Catless DP
Gimmick motorsports 3" Catback
tial EWG w custon dump tube
73mm SRI
AMR hard turbo inlet
Process west TMIC
Tial BOV
JDM intake manifold
CDF racing spec c fuel rails
ID1000 injectors
IAG -6an fuel line
aeromotive fpr
Stainless Steel Turbo Oil feed and AVCS lines
Flat4motorsports Power steering lines
Mishimoto Silicone Rad Hoses
Killer b oil pickup tube
IAG competition series AOS
Walbro 255 fuel pump

Suspension/Drivetrain/Brakes:

5x114 Swap out of a JDM Spec C with Very low Kms
Feal Fixed perch Struts with Prodrive Red springs
Front & Rear Sway bars/Endlinks
Turninconcepts bushing all around front and rear
05 sti aluminum lateral links
trailing arms boxed in for added strength
Cobb Short throw shifter with Kartboy Bushings
slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads

Interior/Audio:

JDM STi floor mats/all weather mats for winter
JDM STi Genome Gauges (Boost, Water temp, Oil temp, Oil pressure)
AEM wideband
Professionally installed sound system (JL audio Sub)

Exterior:

De-badged and De-winged
Rally Armor Mudflaps
OBP STi Fog Light covers
05 STi BBS Plastidipped BLACK with stock Potenzas with very little life left (hope they get me through the summer)
225/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 for Winter

Problems/Issues/Goals

How she looks now in winter mode...

ORIGINAL POST:

Hello, I am happy to say I just bought my 1st STi! I have a 2004 2.5rs, and had a 02 wrx but sold it. I am somewhat familiar with Subaru's but would appreciate the help and advice of you guys!

I know this needs some TLC but I want to bring this thing back to the way it should be and have fun! I don't have a huge income so it will be a slow process. I am going to treat her nice for now and not beat her up too badly, while trying to get the desperately needed maintenance done. And then move onto fixing the other small problems and eventually get some original BBS',nice suspension setup, protune. probably just beat her from then on until she blows and then go bigger turbo with some forged pistons in a new block.

I edit this later but for now I am just going to get some facts put down while they are fresh in my head and put it into a nicer format later!

When I Bought it

Maintenance History:
ODO:135,3xx miles (10/7/14)
Bought at 110,xxx in December 2010
Timing belt/acc. belts done around 11x,000 miles
Stage 2 ACT clutch and lightweight flywheel >>(clutch doesn't feel much different from other manual cars i've driven)
New Rad very recently
Starter done within the past couple years

Mods:
Stage 2 cobb tune
Catless DP
Aftermarket axleback with leaking stock midpipe
Front & Rear Sway bars/Endlinks
Cobb Short throw shifter with Kartboy Bushings
slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads
"Professionally" installed sound system
JDM STi floor mats

Problems:
P0457 code (Still trying to track down cause)
R. Diff Temp light on because sensor is disconnected (Fixed)
R. diff slightly leaky (Fixed)
Valve covers a little leaky (Still needs attention)
PS leak (Fixed)
general oil leaks
rear strut clunk ( Fixed with some Feal revalves)
it has gotten hot a few times when it had rad leak before the new rad was put it
was in a accident but repaired professionally
no fog lights or covers (Fixed)
gauges don't work (wires came out of control box) (working on it)
not completely rust free. (It was a NY car that came to NJ LOL)
exhaust rattle
front part of intake is no longer there because bolts snapped off

Hmm I'm sure there's more thing's im forgetting.

Well here is a pic for now!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Re: New 04 STi owner!

Congratulations on purchasing the best year STi (IMHO) out there. Keep us in the loop on the progress.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

WOOT you bought it! What are your first impressions? :)
Yea buddy! Well I haven't had a ride behind the wheel yet. Still not registered and stuff. Will be tomorrow tho. I went for a ride with previous owner as the driver a few weeks ago and it deff felt quick but not as quick as I thought. He probably wasn't giving it all she had tho.

I won't be either until I get all new fluids in her. Which brings me to my first question? What's the reccomended fluid for the rear diff? Most say don't use extra s. I think I might go with the motul 90pa for rear diff and extra s for the tranny.

Congratulations on purchasing the best year STi (IMHO) out there. Keep us in the loop on the progress.
Thanks Buddy! I agree with your opinion! I will deff keep everyone updated

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Update!

Put some gas in it. Knowing that it has problems idling after filling, I only put $30 in the tank... this brought me up to 3/4 tank... tried starting the car, and it did not want to start... finally cranked over and was not happy, could not hold idle at all, had to constantly give it gas to keep the motor alive... i sat there for about 30 seconds or so revving it and then just put it in first and drove off, it idled fine after I pulled away?

I think the rear diff might be running low on fluid...

I can deff smell some kind of fluid burning.

This thing moves out!!

And finally, the most important and saddening thing... I sat out front of friends house waiting for him with the car idling, then all of a sudden I realized... i'm at the 2nd bar on water temp! fuck me! I think this almost definitely means new head gaskets?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yeah sounds like a bad EVAP system leak (canister, purge control solenoid, purge control valve, hoses, etc.). Sounds like the charcoal canister is flooded from over filling the tank too many times.

Check for white sweet smelling smoke coming from the exhaust as a sign of a bad HG. Do you see a nasty milkshake colored substance in your coolant overflow tank or you radiator cap? What about on the dipstick?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

No but its a fresh rad so I would assume fresh fluid and no but he said only 1500 miles on oil and it was exactly at the low mark this morning. I topped it off and hasn't lost any yet.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

So your oil and coolant aren't mixing? That's good, so it could be air in your cooling system.

Losing a quart of oil every 1500 is a cause for concern. Does the car smoke out the tail pipe? If so, check to see if it's white or black. Could also idle the car and check for smoke out of the oil filler tube.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts

Congratulations on purchasing the best year STi (IMHO) out there
the 04 was the coolest year, but 05 was the best year. if it wasn't, 05 guys would be upgrading to the 04 hubs and not the other way around. the 05 also corrected the horrible steering rack bushings that came with the 04.

Losing a quart of oil every 1500 is a cause for concern.
according to soa, 1qt every thousand is "acceptable".

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So your oil and coolant aren't mixing? That's good, so it could be air in your cooling system.

Losing a quart of oil every 1500 is a cause for concern. Does the car smoke out the tail pipe? If so, check to see if it's white or black. Could also idle the car and check for smoke out of the oil filler tube.
I need to confirm but I don't think my fans are coming on...

I did see a bit of black smoke come out the tailpipe when I had it warming up out front of my house and when I washed it, it had a black soot stain right about the exhaust. it is catless but idk...

I also checked the oil filler and there was a small bit of smoke coming out... didnt seem too concerning.

The clunk is starting to make me wonder if it's my rear diff low on fluid

it is really annoying.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

so went to dealer today to see if they still sold the 90LS gear oil. parts guy first handed me 80w-90 LSD oil and I was about to just buy it...

Then the other parts guy chimed in and said, I think the older STi's use 75-90 and the new ones use 80-90. I tried to tell him that the early STi's actually use straight 90 weight and showed him pic of 90LS in the blue can and he said that must be old stuff...

He assured me that they use 75-90 in both the tranny and the rear diff...

then told me that I could buy the 75-90 at ANY auto parts store as long as it's fully synthetic.

So I got my crush washer for tranny and my ATF for my RS and got of there!

So at this point, the best option would be to use Motul 90PA correct?

Has anyone had any success or failure using 75-90 in the 04 rear diff?

EDIT: I ordered some of the 80w-90 for about $5 cheaper offline. People on Amazon say good things about the 80w90 LSD oil for the 04-06 rear diffs so I'll give it a shot just because it's like half the price of Motul 90PA lol

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So I figure i'm going to need to order a rear diff gasket to stop the leak most likely. I want to make a list of OEM parts to order just so I can do it all at once.

So far i've come up with:
Fuel Filter
Rear Diff Gasket
PCV valve
maybe spark plugs? (i need to ask last time they were done)
thermostat
rad hoses but won't go OEM for those.

Now that I think about it maybe I should put it in the shop first because then he will tell me if I need order anymore OEM parts, I have a feeling the CEL is going to be related to the canister, and it will force me to order a new part for back there. I've seen so many results to that code.

Would like to hear suggestions for a 135k 04 STi with not too many mods and not that well maintained...lol

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So I tried fixing the rear diff temp sensor today... the actual sensor was broken, one half connected to the plug and other half stuck in the wire harness, so I tried to gorilla glue it together, plugged it back in. Turned car on, light is still on.

Then I remembered reading that the light can come on from a loose alternator belt, I check it out and it seems a little loose so I figure what the hell.

loosen the pivot bolt, then the other one for the tensioner, then start tightening the tensioner... hard to turn so I spray some PB blaster, start turning again, after about 1-2 rotations the bolt breaks...

got a new one at dealer for $6. Asked how much the temp sensor was and he said $140, I found one on oem subaru parts website for $105, so I'm gonna buy fuel filter and pcv valve with that $35 lol

if anyone has any suggestions of parts to add, I would appreciate it. I noticed one of the axle boots is ripped, so I should probably deal with that.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts

Since it seems like all these problems were ignored by the previous owner then Its safe to assume your still on the original maf and o2 sensors. At that mileage be ready for those sensors and maybe others to start showing signs of failing.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Since it seems like all these problems were ignored by the previous owner then Its safe to assume your still on the original maf and o2 sensors. At that mileage be ready for those sensors and maybe others to start showing signs of failing.
Yea very possible! Thanks!

owner did not drive the car much in the recent years, really just drove it once a week, and even in it's current condition, it could handle that just fine... when he first bought it tho, he was driving it like it was supposed to be driven... without a doubt. almost all the mods were done by him, it was nearly bone stock when he bought it in 2010

He cared for it at first, but then I think he just got bored and lost interest.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

for parts like the fuel filter, thermostat, and pcv valve, is it worth paying the premium for OEM parts it would it be worth it to save a few bucks ordering from rockauto?

I tend to think it would be smarter to just buy from a dealer but it's so expensive.

1 - 20 of 803 Posts