IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a pair of these harnesses for my track days. I feel the extra restraint will improve my driving during the DEs I attend.

How are these harnesses perceived here?
Are they an easy install?
Any Safety concerns?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have no issues with mine but my car is mostly used for auto-x. There were no issues with tech though the one PDX I did through SCCA.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I only use mine for autox. I didn't use them when I tracked my car at a pca event, the reason I didn't is just in case I rolled at 100+mph. The factory belt in my opinion is safer in a roll over. (I don't have a roll cage)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Get them. You'll be less tired after a day and safer too. I've just got the Quick Fit Pro so I can wear my HANS with it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I like mine, but I must add that I mounted one portion of the harness differently than the instructions say to.

The instructions say to bend one of the harness mounts when attaching it to the backseat seatbelt mount. There is simply now way in hell I was going to weaken the bracket to mount it. The part I'm speaking about is the short 'male' buckle that is supposed to be mounted/remain in the car 'permanently'. It would have required almost a 90 degree bend in the bracket. That bend weakens the bracket. Another thing I thought about was the constant stress/strain that would have been put on that 90 degree bend when using the harness. Under hard braking, that bend would have been pulled on and flexed. My fear was that the flexing would have eventually caused a crack and subsequent failure of that bracket. The thought of that failing in a worst case situation such as a crash on the track was more than I could stand.

I took the harness to 2 friends of mine that are mechanical engineers and they both agreed that bending it would weaken it. The solution I chose was to buy a thick steel 'L' bracket and cut it to a size that would fit under the rear seats yet remain strong enough in a potential crash. One side of the 'L' would be bolted to the car and the other side would hold the harness. This allowed the harness bracket to bear the stress along it's entire length rather than transfer the tension through a weak spot (the 90 deg bend).

It's something to think about....

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
When installing mine I thought about the same thing. But look at it this way. Either you bend the bracket yourself or buy one that someone else did. ie. a "L" bracket.

I did call HMS before the install and they told me you could bend it once in one direction and be OK. But you wouldn't want to bend it multiple times. I took the bracket and bent it to form to the block that the seatbelt connects to.

And in regards to HMS, they are the ones who have done the crash testing and video shoots of the Quickfit harness, so I have a little faith in them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I hear what you are saying, but a piece of metal manufactured in an 'L' is not the same as bending a piece of metal into an 'L' shape. Bending weakens the metal. I used an extruded metal beam.

When in use, the constant flexing of the (bent) bracket will also slowly fatigue the metal as well.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Andy STI said:
I am thinking about buying a pair of these harnesses for my track days. I feel the extra restraint will improve my driving during the DEs I attend.

How are these harnesses perceived here?
Are they an easy install?
Any Safety concerns?

Thanks,
Andy
I have a set for the drivers side only. The install takes about 10 minutes initially to install the extra mounts (2). Then about 5 minutes to adjust the harness to your liking. After that about 1 minute to put in and take out from then on. People debate safety all the time. I think these are the only reasonable option if you are not planning to install a full cage and they are DOT approved. See comments on these options in this thread:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50713

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I am not sure that the bend is a problem. A little give in the system may be OK. I doubt that the bracket would break along that bend, but the bend could offer a location for that side to lengthen as severe tension is applied along the belt. I questioned the folks at soloracer.com prior to making the bend myeslf, and they said it should not be a concern.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.