IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have an interesting issue with my 06 STI …

Car stopped dead the other evening pulling into a gas station (close to home), plugged in accessport only to find I have no power to the OBD2 link connector and with that I got the car towed home. The following day after reading up on the forums what could cause no OBD2 link to accessport I found that fuse SBF #5 under the hood had blown which controls the ECM, fuel pump relay, main relay, drive by wire relay and OBD2 link connector. This was replaced with a fresh fuse. Before trying to start I had power to the accessport and checked for error codes which there were none.
The car fired right up with no issues so I left it running for about 10mins before taking the car for a test drive around my block. I got as far as the end of my block before the car died and sure enough SBF fuse #5 had indeed popped once again.

After pushing the car home and reading what could cause this I went ahead and did the following:

1) Disconnected fuel pump from rear of car.
2) Removed both 02 sensors pre & after cat.
3) Disconnected Fuel pump relay (passenger footwell)
4) Disconnected Main relay (passenger footwell)
5) Disconnected Drive by wire relay (passenger footwell)
6) Disconnected ECM
If I now plug in the main relay and turn the ignition to ON the fuse does not blow. However, if I then plug in the ECM and then turn the ignition to ON the fuse blows. And that’s with everything else listed above disconnected apart from the main relay and ECM.
I have removed and inspected the ECM and do not see any leaking resistors or burn marks on the ECM board so guessing at this point that the ECM is fine and I have a short somewhere that is blowing the fuse but where I have no idea???
I am at a total loss and not sure what to try next. There are similar issues that I have researched and read on this fuse blowing and main relay issue but I’m not sure what to try next.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Oi Oi M8

·
Registered
245 Posts
To blow a 30A fuse you have to hear something some where when you turn on the IGN. You diffidently have a shorted wire to ground some were...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Did anyone figure this out? I'm have a similar issue on a 07 forester with a dead short to the sbf5 fuse!
Buddy of mine had this issue, couldn't figure it out for a couple months but we eventually found out he had a short at one of his fuel injectors. we literally just started unplugging anything that traced back to the SBF5 fuse in the engine bay and upon unplugged and replugging in all his injectors, the problem went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts