IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AS WANTING TO KNOW OW TO GENERALLY USE ONE OF THOSE AND AND EXPLANATION ON WHY YO USE THESE B4 I GET.. JUST WANT TO BE EDUCATED.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
You use a digital screen and knob to turn and set boost and what not. Basically you have a 4 channel setup where you can select either in auto the PSI you want or manual a % and gain. Basically , auto mode is not good as it does wierd stuff and has to relearn all the time. Using manual mode will give you consistant results without the hassle of having to relearn. You can have 4 channels setup to swap back and forth if your boost is too high or too low or to save gas or to race. The dual solenoid can handle up to 35psi I believe, so it can take anything you can throw at it. I use this because #1... spool up is instant now. I have full spool after 2500rpms ALL the time... just mash and go. I dont even have to floor it 99% of the time because by the tim i hit 4k im already maxxing boost and am up to speed (I dont mean part throtle full boost as I dont have that, but I mean it just spools up so quick, by the time I have the pedal 1/2 way down im up to 4k lol). The unit works awsome and smooths out the turbo by a lot. Probably the most consistant EBC out there. Another reason I use SBCID is because it took 30 minutes to install and tune. Very easy stuff. After you find the turbo's sweet spot (your boost you wanna run... say 15.5psi or 16). You can set your EBC to a certain setting and then you can have the 3 extra channels to setting above and below it or however you wish to choose!! That when with temp/weather change you have complete control! Another awsome feature is adigital boost gauge. Very helpful with a peak monitor to show you your peak boost you hit. Also it has a recording feature and you can rewatch it if something ever happens or if you just wanna see yourself runnig through the highway again lol ;). It also has a boost limiter and saftey features. Warning buzzers and lights. Very helpful and as you can see, I Can go on forever on how good it is ... the only - i can think of is that you cant change the screencolor :(, oi well it does its job VERY well.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Any advantage of getting one of these on a stock STi? I plan on doing upgrades, but this seems like a good upgrade for the future.

·
Registered
452 Posts
SabreOfSD said:
Any advantage of getting one of these on a stock STi? I plan on doing upgrades, but this seems like a good upgrade for the future.
I think it's good even on a stock STi as it gives you more control over the boost behaviour.

In particular, as StaticX mentioned above, the quick spool-up to the set boost level is possible with an EBC. Spooling up quicker --> faster response & more power in the lower (2500-4000) RPM range.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
lol ya, with all my mods now I have full spool at like 2500-2800 rpms :) very quick and responsive.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
dayum!!! i wish our cars had higher end torque!!! and no speed limiter!=)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think the most you can run on a stock sti is 15 to 15.5 psi. This is per Dan himself :)

-d

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dont you guys get full boost at POT with a boost controller? That's a big NO NO in my book.

-d

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
nope... the EBC does not do this. Its very difficult to get this occur with the way I have the EBC setup. I mean you can do it at like 75% if you hold it just right, but otherwise, its fine. That and the EGTs dont get that hot (unless you do that for like a mile... which is impossible as you'd hit redline very quickly and have to let off and shift). MBCs will cause this, but my ebc has been just fine.

Robert~

·
Registered
350 Posts
Does the EBC use the TP sensor to adjust boost levels? Since the STi has electronic throtle control (not sure if that's the correct name), I think that would be the safest way to control boost levels.

-d

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
well actually u should find out the max the turbo can efficentaly output cfms which will then give you the safiest amount of boost so the turbo isnt doing overkill as well as your A/F level when reaching those pressures, as long as your rich when upping your boost your fine!!! thats the key richness!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
the max is around 18 psi, but our fuel cut is much before that... also our injectors are working pretty hard as it is and will probably not be able to keep up (with a fuel pump upgrade) and what not. I believe dan said he was running 99% duty cycle on the stock injector with ALL of his mods. So going up to 17-18psi you should be careful. Also being rich is ok, just keep the afs around 12-11:1 if possible.

Robert~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts