IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. To set things straight - I am not trolling. I've been reading the forums for several months as I plan to buy a new car in 2004 and the STi is one of my choices, along the Z06 and the M3.

Last week around 5:30pm I entered Rt 66 from DC and I noticed an STi, some dark color, don't remember exactly which one. It didn't look all that impressive looking at it from the back. I was very disappointed - I was lusting this car. The only explanation I can give is that it was a bit dirty. I hope the Blue/Gold combo, when clean, looks much much better.

If anybody has seen a Lancia Delta Integrale 16v (saw one in person in 1992), that's an impressive looking car!

Anyhow, I hope its looks grow on me, because I like the specs (minus the knock problems, which I am sure will be sorted out by 2004).

I only wished there was an SMG-like system for the STi, and on-board navigation. Other than that, a bit more horsepower, and this car would totally rule. (I am used to 305hp, 300ft*lbs from my cobra, no such thing as too much power).

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am sure there a plenty of people that would gladly show you that your cobra certainly doesn't have TOO much power.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I personally think that my STi is pretty ugly....but I didnt buy it based on that. :D

Oh yeah, I eat up Cobras all day everyday. :wink:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh brother let the flaming begin.

You are pretty bold coming into an enthusiast's forum and telling everyone you aren't impressed. I must admit, that takes some cahonas. You are entitled to your opinion however.

I personally feel based on your comments about a little more horsepower and the onboard navigation that the STi is not the right car for you. I will point out a couple of things: a) 5hp is not a big difference, and that difference is made up by the weight difference between the STi and Cobra. Unless it's a 03', the STi will beat the Cobra. This has already been proven. b) If you want things like onboard navigation, leather seats, climate control, you really need to consider other cars. The STi is targetted at people who want a simple and fast car at a good price point. It's not by any means to be confused with a sports luxury car.

The looks are really quite irrelevant to many considering the sales of the WRX. I think personally the looks are absolutely outstanding. Others will disagree. Nobody is right or wrong.

But seriously, I think you are looking for a different class of car.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I cant help but agree with others that you are getting the whole STI point wrong(at least by comparing to Z06 and M3)
Of course you are right about your 'SMG', on-board navigation concerns, if you dont mind spending $50K+(another $20K+ on top of an STI)(Having said that, for $50K to $60K, there are many other 'sports luxury cars' -as said above.) But the whole point of STI is to provide its drivers with unmatched, a very fast and competitive 4WDTURBO driving pleasure for only $30K+, compromising some luxury.
For sure, I wasnot expecting a-totally-different-than-WRX-car (I was secretly hoping that it will look just like a WRX, as the older STIs). The whole point is to have 4WDTURBO 300hp 4-DOOR-FAMILY-SEDAN, that is at least! as fast as the likes of 911s, Cobra's, Z06s, M3s, etc.

2004STI: wings, body-kit, flared fenders, big barkes-wheels, sporty everything... remember the concept of '90s HFs, Add just a bit more technology for bringing in power-reliability and safety :wink:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BHODGES3 said:
I am sure there a plenty of people that would gladly show you that your cobra certainly doesn't have TOO much power.
I didn't say it does! No such thing as too much power. Honestly, at the 1/4 mile I wouldn't go against an STi :) At the open track, I'd smile. Within a lap or two you'd know the red cobra is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

See http://olympiakos.com/auto/cobra/index.html

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
evoklr said:
Oh brother let the flaming begin.

You are pretty bold coming into an enthusiast's forum and telling everyone you aren't impressed. I must admit, that takes some cahonas. You are entitled to your opinion however.

I personally feel based on your comments about a little more horsepower and the onboard navigation that the STi is not the right car for you. I will point out a couple of things: a) 5hp is not a big difference, and that difference is made up by the weight difference between the STi and Cobra. Unless it's a 03', the STi will beat the Cobra. This has already been proven. b) If you want things like onboard navigation, leather seats, climate control, you really need to consider other cars. The STi is targetted at people who want a simple and fast car at a good price point. It's not by any means to be confused with a sports luxury car.

The looks are really quite irrelevant to many considering the sales of the WRX. I think personally the looks are absolutely outstanding. Others will disagree. Nobody is right or wrong.

But seriously, I think you are looking for a different class of car.
Well, the SGM and Nav options would add something like $4k to the price (if they were similarly priced as in the M3). I'd gladly pay this on top of the $31k. I think lots of others would too, and these options don't detract anything from the nature of the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
SILVER/SILVER IN NEW MEXICO

it's simple, don't buy it if you don't like it...no need to state your negative comments on an enthusiast forum

one less STi owner on the road = one less chance of STi accidents = stable insurance rates 8)

personally I think that cobra looks like sh*t. But then I'm asian, and most of us dislike all american made cars.... :wink:

·
Registered
858 Posts
HKTSTI said:
personally I think that cobra looks like sh*t. But then I'm asian, and most of us dislike all american made cars.... :wink:
i like cobras too. too bad the one SVT screwed up turned off a lot of people.

btw, i wished the cobra... heck even the vette had an AWD version...

now that would kick some ass...

·
Registered
90 Posts
^^ seriously....that's the main feature of the STI....not just the looks.

honestly...there's a lot of other cars that I would consider better lookin than the STI....but it is not an ugly car. it's got it's own style....rally style....neither the Z06, M3 or cobra were made to be the same type of car...hence the different looks.

honestly, if you're comparin the STI to the Z06 an the M3, then you're not even really comparing at all....any of the 3 would be a great car....even dream cars....but it depends on what you want. STI isn't all luxury/performance like the Z06 or the M3....it's strictly performance for a low price. that combined w/ the 4 doors and rally body...it just shows that it's a different class as the other two.

I wouldn't complain bout havin either a Z06, M3 or an STI....I'd just consider how much I want to spend an what type of car I'm lookin for. you can always add navigation etc. into the STI ;)

add an indash DVD/LCD monitor for a G or so, an you're all set, even better than the builtin navi cuz you can play DVD's etc. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
You really can't compare a Z06 to an STI.

A pure V8 sports car vs. a overcompansating Turbo four cylinder is just like comparing apples to dildo's...

the STI is overpriced for the level of comfort/toys it comes with but really, when you think about it, originally it was designed to have the interior ripped out and a roll cage put in.

It's gotten bigger, slower and uglier but it is still one of the best cars in it's price range. And king of the Rice boys. Well, when the EVO isn't around......

Get the Z06, in my oppinion. It's so much better to drive. M3 is near perfect but hey, there is always M5 if you can afford it :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
kq,
I have owned a HF Integrale. They don't have crap for features. It looks cool to some but others consider it a chevette on steroids. Same with the STi. It just depends what you are looking for. Both the Integrale and the STI have four doors and all wheel drive. M-3 and Vette have two and rwd. You don't win WRC with 2 wheel drive. The Lancia and the Subaru have multiple wins. BMW and Chevy...............Sin52

P.S. Find someone with an awd car and go screamin down a dirt road. it may just change your mind. And dont forget you were looking at the back of the car, what happened couldn't keep up to get a side view? just kidding no offense please

1 - 20 of 44 Posts