IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a permanent solution to a sagging front bumper? The plastic brackets are worthless really. Not looking to drill holes into the face of the bumper/fender.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My clips recently gave up. I just bought the move over release kit. Without wanting to drill holes I cant think of any other solutions, except maybe trying to repair the tabs on the bumper/bracket.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
If it is sagging at the sides and the fender brackets are lose, take the screw out of it and tie it down across with electrical wire

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My clips recently gave up. I just bought the move over release kit. Without wanting to drill holes I cant think of any other solutions, except maybe trying to repair the tabs on the bumper/bracket.
Move over release is a sold piece I must say, how do you like it? What about the holes you had to drill, they bother you at all?

buy new brackets? or tighten them up?
This would be the fourth bracket I purchased, the previous 3 just snapped in half, literally lol.

If it is sagging at the sides and the fender brackets are lose, take the screw out of it and tie it down across with electrical wire
This might actually work! I thought of this once but all that came up to mind was zip ties and there isn't a zip tie nearly that long to reach across lol. Im going to try it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I havent got the move over set up yet. Waiting on them. Once its installed Im going to put a thorough review up since everyone who has it never post details.

Only other solution I was going to do was zip tie it through the tabs on the bumper into the black bracket, but the tabs on my bumper actually gave up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
there is a fix. but im too lazy to type out the fix right now on my phone. but i will later and i'll take some pics of what you have to do to the bracket. its real easy and doesnt involve any extra parts or cutting or drilling.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I havent got the move over set up yet. Waiting on them. Once its installed Im going to put a thorough review up since everyone who has it never post details.

Only other solution I was going to do was zip tie it through the tabs on the bumper into the black bracket, but the tabs on my bumper actually gave up.

Oh alright, put it up Im sure a lot of guys would appreciate that

there is a fix. but im too lazy to type out the fix right now on my phone. but i will later and i'll take some pics of what you have to do to the bracket. its real easy and doesnt involve any extra parts or cutting or drilling.

Im all ears!

·
Registered
271 Posts
the brackets are held on by 2 screws going up into the fender, and one bolt going sideways into the headlight housing. the main culprit for the "sag" is the bolt that goes into the headlight housing. that bolt actually pulls down on the bracket when tightened. when the bracket is new its not so bad but after time the plastic spread thingys that go up into the fender start to wear a little from the weight of the sides of the bumper and that bolt that goes to the headlight pulling down on the bracket. Now i recommend not removing the bumper the standard way cuz that pulls on the bracket and wears it down. and you risk damaging the tabs on the bumper that click onto the bracket by trying to force it. if those tabs on the bumper are messed up your kinda screwed. its a lil harder, but better to remove the bumper with the bracket still attached to the bumper, but you have to be under the car and reach from under the bumper to unscrew the 2 screws/bolt from the bracket. now for the fix, its best to use new brackets but you can get away with using the old brackets. what you have to do is bend the tab on the bracket that bolts to the headlight towards the headlight so that when the bracket is install that tab will now be pushing up on the bracket toward the fender. you have to boil a pot of water so its boiling and then dip the bracket in the boiling water for a minute so it will bend easy. then use an adjustable wrench slid on the tab to bend just the tab out. and while holding the tab out put it under cold water and the tab will then stay in the bent out position. then just put everythingback together using the modified brackets. i highly recommend putting the bumper back on with the brackets already attached to the bumper and screwing them in from underneath. that part can be a pain. i suppose you could attach the bracket to car first as long as you dont tighten it all the way down so you could clip the bumper on afterward and then finish by tightening the bracket as the last step. im typing this on my phone so this all might sound jumbled. but i hope the pics of the before and after bracket kinda of explain themselves. also there is supposed to be a slight gap between the bumper and fender just by looking at how the bracket and bumper tabs are designed. i assume to prevent the bumper from rubbing on fender and chipping paint. the same size gap will look worse on white and silver cuz they are light colors which makes it easier to see in the gap. these were junk brackets that i experimented on previously by grinding a filing off the the spacer ridges that are next to the part that sticks into the fender. i just had these laying around so i used these for the pics. do not cut or grind them. just bend the tab.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ill try that along with the electric wire, however my issue is with the furthest screw hole (near the wheel), once you screw it in it's suppose to open up so that the bracket doesn't fall through the fender. My issue is that it still falls through regardless creating the sag.

I'm confused as to how the bent tab helps in stopping the sag though

·
Registered
271 Posts
this fix doesnt work with a gap at the edge by the tire. its more for the gap thats in the middle to front section. i dont know why the bracket would pull away from the fender back by the tire.? maybe the square hole in the fender is bent out or something.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
Ill try that along with the electric wire, however my issue is with the furthest screw hole (near the wheel), once you screw it in it's suppose to open up so that the bracket doesn't fall through the fender. My issue is that it still falls through regardless creating the sag.

I'm confused as to how the bent tab helps in stopping the sag though
Yup that's exactly what mine did, the fender opening widens and the bracket always falls through :lol:

Electrical wire trust me lol

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Think I found a solution, my front bumper pretty much got destroyed going up a driveway so had to utilize what I had at the moment and it works pretty well.

This is specific to the gap that is near the tire.

You can see how wide that fender entry gets.

Excuse the blemishes, she's been through quite a bit.

Short video to show the durability, was tugging on it pretty well.
https://vimeo.com/118954577

Reactions: user1029

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just fixed this on mine this past weekend. I can post pics/walk through if anyone would like, but it's super easy. Took me about 10 minutes.

Tools: small screwdriver. Knife or small coping saw.
Materials: high density molding styrofoam - available at any craft store. You will need at least. 1 piece that is 2x4x12. 3m body molding adhesive tape. Black spray paint (optional)

1. Remove upper grill insert by popping the 4 plastic rivits on top with a small screw driver. Pull forward to remove.
2. Locate front bumper bar - sits just below the lip of the upper insert
3. Get foam and insert over bumper bar - you will have to wedge it under the outer fascia.
4. Lift facia from underneath and position so side gaps are a little tighter than factory. Push down right above foam to make impression in the foam. Push with enough force to correct gaps to factory spacing.
5. Remove foam. Trim excess if needed. Paint exposed sides black (optional) to keep it camouflaged.
6. Add a strip of body molding adhesive to top and bottom of foam. Leave the top film on, but fold over to make exposed tabs.
7. Reposition foam, lifting facia over foam and position for correct gaps. Remove tape film.
8. Check gaps
9. Reinstall upper grill.
10. Stand back and admire.

Most cars have foam in this location from the factory. Ours do not. Simple solution to an annoying problem.

If you have some severe sag, you could also remove the bumper and fit foam across the entire bar. This might also not be a bad idea for anyone with a damper installed.

If there is a demand for a picture walk though, let me know and I will do my best.

·
Registered
497 Posts
mine seems to be the bracket or clip closest to the headlight? for the life of me i cant get it to clip, but the passenger side is mint... i bought new brackets, new clips etc and put on my new CF fenders and still no dice!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I just got mad and stuck a #12 stainless screw in mine where the little girly stock one goes and it holds like a charm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
seeing how the move over bracket works, has anyone ever taken the factory bumper bracket, shaved the spreading lugs, that go into the fender, off the bracket and then just use metal hardware to attach the bracket? the move over bracket is fastened with Allen screws and nuts. why not just shave the lugs off with a Dremel or a utility knife and just use Allen screws and nuts to solidly mount that piece of plastic into the fender?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts