IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly tall (6'2") and I have been considering getting the Schroth Quick Fit Pro - Subaru. I know that there has been a post concerning the safety when in a front end impact. My shoulders are pretty tall. They actually line up about right with the top of the hole in the seat.

My question, as I said, concerns the increased possibility of spinal compression resulting from the angle of the belt on your shoulder during a front end impact.

So. Anyone want to reassure me that I’ll be fine? Or suggest another option for me (no roll cages or permanent mounts.) I basically just want to be nice and tight in the seat on some mountain roads. No Auto-X or tracking yet.

Fyxer

·
Registered
361 Posts
You'll be fine. The schroth quick fit has a section of belt that releases in an impact, so you don't have to worry about spinal compression.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Fyxer said:
I am fairly tall (6'2") and I have been considering getting the Schroth Quick Fit Pro - Subaru. I know that there has been a post concerning the safety when in a front end impact. My shoulders are pretty tall. They actually line up about right with the top of the hole in the seat.

My question, as I said, concerns the increased possibility of spinal compression resulting from the angle of the belt on your shoulder during a front end impact.

So. Anyone want to reassure me that I’ll be fine? Or suggest another option for me (no roll cages or permanent mounts.) I basically just want to be nice and tight in the seat on some mountain roads. No Auto-X or tracking yet.

Fyxer
doesn't look so good. i'm short, 5'4" and, in my 'track' position, my shoulders are just below the seat harness opening...i still worry. i thought i saw a schroth that had a "3 point" rear that attaches to the C pillar rear seat shoulder belt...er, you know, the, i don't know what to call it...on the c pillar, the shoulder belt passes through a loop...you remove that and attach the rear section to that...i don't think it's a quick-fit however.

at your height, i would consider it...if you are going to wear a harness, and you are that tall.

i know, the attraction to the quick-fit...if you use the back seat at all...or have a family...or it's your daily driver but, you should do it right and be as safe as you can...life is rough as a "quad" or "para"...i don't know how much steak and potatoes you can get through a straw!!

try the old auto-cross trick, i think it's like this;

in your position, click back one notch. filp the 'buckle' to put a twist in the belt. attach it. and slide back up to your normal position...it'll take a little practice to find your sweet spot...better than having your meals through a straw, eh?

be safe, be smart.

·
Registered
361 Posts
tonemeister, there is NO problem with using the schroth quick fit belts. They will not cause any bad things to happen, they will release that extra section in the event of a crash and you'll end up no worse for wear than if you were using the stock 3 point belts, no matter what height you are.

This has been studied and debated at length for years.

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
I used them at a track event. They are much better than the GC-Lock but meh. I dont have a cage in the car so at track speeds I'm still worried about my safety.

You will fit fine with them and they "should" avoid spinal compression... but to each their own.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you're that worried, I suggest you get a full rollcage, fixxed back seats and 6 point harnesses.

There is no "should" about it. They won't, period.

Driving on the track is a risk and you have to ascertain how much risk you're willing to take in accordance to how much safety gear you want to get. The flip side is the more safety gear you add, the less streetable the car is...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Are the harness holes at pretty much a standard height industry wide, or could you find a seat where the holes are higher, thus elimiating the worry?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
docwyte said:
If you're that worried, I suggest you get a full rollcage, fixxed back seats and 6 point harnesses.

There is no "should" about it. They won't, period.

Driving on the track is a risk and you have to ascertain how much risk you're willing to take in accordance to how much safety gear you want to get. The flip side is the more safety gear you add, the less streetable the car is...

doc, did you really say, "flip side"??:D

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
RabidSTi said:
Are the harness holes at pretty much a standard height industry wide, or could you find a seat where the holes are higher, thus elimiating the worry?

nope, every seat is different. you can look online at the sparco, or recaro webistes to find the specific dimensions of their seats. Or you can go into a local shop that has those sets and do the ass fitment test :)

no matter how tall you are you can find a racing seat to fit you. I know a few 6'3"+ drivers that fit into miata's!!!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
spazegun2213 said:
nope, every seat is different. you can look online at the sparco, or recaro webistes to find the specific dimensions of their seats. Or you can go into a local shop that has those sets and do the ass fitment test :)

no matter how tall you are you can find a racing seat to fit you. I know a few 6'3"+ drivers that fit into miata's!!!

10-4 that!

a friend of mine is crying his eyes out...finally got his dream car...late 70's 911. he's 6'+ with a looooonnnng torso. he forgot to "try the car on" with his helmet on! whaaaa..whaaaaaahaaa...now he's doing extensive research on seats...width, shoulder heights, lower mounting rails...all this 'stuff' is variable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts