IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recevied a letter today from Subaru Australia today asking for a recall on all the 2002 to 2005 Impreza WRX and STi. There has been an issue "Engine Hesitation and/or Shut Down caused by vehicle Security System". Just wondering if anyone has experienced the problems which they explain in the letter?

Booked mine in for the recall next week.

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
That may explain the problem a few members had with the car just shutting off while driving down the highway. Or was it just the guage cluster and all lights when dead. I can't remember.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Safety Recall 2002-2005 Wrx & Sti, Engine Hesitation And Or Shut Down Of Security Sys

This note from one of my mates who got the letter from SoA:

Following information copied from safety recall notice i recieved 22-05-06

We wish to advise of a possible safety issue with your Subaru Vehicle.

They have found that a wiring issue is the reason for the Brant alarm shutting down without warning.
Following an extensive investigation it has come to out attention that, due to radiated voltage interferance, the dual stage security system (alarm & immobiliser) installed in your vehicle can in some circumstances activate unexpectedly and incorrectly whilst driving.

High Voltage signals from an external source or due to engine ignition system malfunction or as a result of unauthorised modifications (e.g high powered sound systems or ignition systems) can cause the security system module to reset.
This usually results in in initial hesitation / stumble of the engine and in extreme cases can result in complete system arming and subsequent engine immobilization and alarm ativation.
If this occurrs whilst driving the engine will shut down and the alarm will sound.
On engine shut down power steering will be lost but brakes and steering will be maintained.
Power brakes will also continue to operate but only for a minimum of two applications

SAFETY RECALL:

In the interests of customer Safety, we have decided to carry out a safety recall of Model year 2002 to 2005 Impreza WRX & WRX STI.The rectification involves a change to the wiring of the security system to provide greater protection against radiated high voltage interferance and therefore prevent the engine from hesitating / stumbling or shutting down whilst driving.

What should you do:

If your Impreza is effected by this recall you should immediatly contact your nearest Subaru Dealer to make an appointment to have the security system checked.

Work will be carried out at no cost and will take approximatly 1 hour to complete.

Its only taken 3 years for Subaru to finally admit theres a problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts