IW STi Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
AMG is just like Sti, just a whole lot bigger.
AMG does not sell tunes, or exhausts, or intakes, but they sell "AMG trim packages" that are factory installed upon order, and full blown AMG cars that are way different than the standard models.
Same goes for Sti.
There is the tS trim for the BRZ, and that is basically the 'sti trim package', as the amg trim package is on the c300.
There is just a lot less offerings of a tS type trim across Subaru's lineup.
Then you have the actual sti which is to the WRX like the c63 is to the c300.
Mercedes just has a Forester Sti, BRZ Sti, Crosstrek Sti, Legacy Sti, etc. and not only a WRX sti.
Their performance division is just a whole lot bigger and covers the whole range with trim packages and performance models.

BMW has the same with the M division.
Audi with the RS range.
You have a 340i M-sport, and then you have an M3.
A4, RS4.
X6 40i M-sport, and a X6M.
Q5, RSQ5, etc.

Alpina and Polestar are not good examples of that because those are dealer approved third parties.
There are performance divisions and then dealer approved third parties.
BMW also has Dinan.
Mercedes has Brabus.
But all of the approved third party stuff is EXPENSIVE compared to non-approved third party.

I don't think Subaru's goal is to become a performance brand like the German 3, as they are more economy-focused, so it doesn't make sense for them to have an Sti version of every car and offer an Sti trim of every model, because the sales volume would likely be very small compared to the development cost.
If they offered an sti trim package for the Forester, or a Forester sti, it would be cool, but they would probably sell 3-500 of them per model year max.

We could hope for a Subaru version of Dinan, but Subaru also knows their stereotypical customer.
A BMW customer has no problem shelling out 1500$ for a tune on his 90k bmw to maintain a warranty, but a Subaru customer would rather buy an 800$ access-port than spend 1500$ on the "warranty option" on his 30k wrx.
Subaru knows this, and tuners know this, so they don't see a point and/or don't want to share their profits for licensing purposes.

To sum it all up, unfortunately with the sti, which is already a WRX amg, if you want to go even faster, you have to risk it.
I went into my sti mods knowing full well that it could pop and cost me 10k to fix it, but if you can't afford that, don't do it.
I know a lot of people can't and do, and gamble on it, so it's really about calculated risk at that point.

In the very beginning, if I knew I wanted to maybe probably eventually modify the car, I wouldn't have bought the extended warranty. Because the extended warranty basically says "I am going to leave it exactly how it is and I want it to last a long time"

Registered
AustinSedz, well said. I was going to reply but was too lazy to do a complete history lesson so I am really glad you did. Bravo!!!

I will like to add that AMG became especially infamous because of the Hammer as it was a direct competitor to the equally infamous E28 M5. Mercedes than decided that it was cheaper to buy AMG than creating their own version of specialty division. Unfortunately, business sense won over automotive passion. Today's AMG, M Division and the Quattro GmbH (Now known as Audi Sport GmbH) are no longer what they used to be. Back in the late 2000's, there was a company, which I forgot the name, they tried with a few selected Audi dealerships here in the US. It was a catastrophic failure because the when there was an issue, the tuning company and AoA started the blame game and everything was stuck in litigation with the customer in the middle. To say it ended ugly, is a gross understatement.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Hoppen motorsport perhaps...I had one of their S4's.....350hp on a wonder blown upon 5cyl.
Joe was a nice guy. We chatted a lot by phone on the car. It ate its tranny in the mountains of KY. Best seats ever. My wife still notes that to me. Hoppen was behind a lot of the Audi motorsport stuff in the US at one point. Was one of a few blueprinted cars in my past...when the oak tree had leaves...

All: Thank you.

Registered
Hoppen motorsport perhaps...I had one of their S4's.....350hp on a wonder blown upon 5cyl.
Joe was a nice guy. We chatted a lot by phone on the car. It ate its tranny in the mountains of KY. Best seats ever. My wife still notes that to me. Hoppen was behind a lot of the Audi motorsport stuff in the US at one point. Was one of a few blueprinted cars in my past...when the oak tree had leaves...

All: Thank you.
Nice. I had a B5-S4 myself that I took to Stage 3 with APR's RS4 kit. Wonderful car and in so many ways, the STI is much closer to that car than all the other S4's that followed it.

Not Hoppen. they were with MTM, another Germany Tuning company that claims factory association with Audi, just like ABT. These two are exactly like Dinan and Brabus in how they function with the manufactures.

Premium Member
See about
I wanted to start this with something similar to what AustinSedz wrote, he\is was better informed :)

SOA isn't really marketing a real performance car. Yeah he wrote that too.

Aside from that there are two real issues:

1) SOA is never going to certify a real aftermarket part. They aren't going to look at a part; lets use your example of a oil pickup, and say it's better material it's thicker and stronger - it makes sense that it will be better. They would want to review the design from the bottom up, and then test/certify it just as if it were on of theirs in a full car approval.

2) Then there is the installation. Nothing adds more risk to a newish factory car than just working on it! They are never going to allow people to work on their cars more than they need to.

Registered
It was STaSIS. IIRC, it was ECU tuning by REVO, exhaust systems, suspension and brakes.

And there is actually a lot more to Subaru Technica International (STI Official Website). We just don't get the good stuff here in the States which is not unusual because the same business practice is used by the European auto manufactures.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
All good points - and agree.

Thanks all.

SOA replied to me - short version is they recommend to not add anything to the car (pickup, pan, etc. were used in my request to do so to add reliability).

To the crowd, my buy deal was an amazing deal and my wife loved the warranty options... Saying no to it was not an option.... ... very. Very smart of them.

To be honest, the Subaru warranties, in this case the top of the line one with no deductible, are probably the best in the industry. I just go into the dealer as if it is a brand new car for 7y or 100k miles. Had a few rattles removed about a month ago on this...no questions asked. Loaner car is a nice one every time. It is now absolutely rattle free and has been for months. I just drive it. Total freedom. That is actually a very valuable thing...I am not a hostage to looking at the DAMs or such...I just use it. And I maintain better by far than the manual requires (and document such and keep all receipts and email images of same to myself...).

But, if it was allowed, I'd do the Killer B oil stuff in a second. If I can last the warranty period...based on what I have learned here will do a bunch of things (elh, e85, dp/turbo, etc.). Trust me, I get it.

Again, all, thanks.

Premium Member
See about
IMHO after your 100K warranty is the perfect time to build - It's at half-life of the engine, the body and accessory part are still good enough not to worry about/good enough to be reliable for the life of a 2618 build and you will need a timing belt and a clutch sometime anyway . . .

ADDED: and if you go with a built block. the OEM is still a decent the spare, certainly good enough to reinstall . In fact it is motivation to really build and have all decent OEM to go back to stock. Turbo, ,manifolds, everything.

Registered
I have a 2015 STI. At 105,000 miles, I got rod knock. The seals in my turbocharger failed causing all my fresh 500 mile 5w40 oil to leak into my down pipe and caused rod knock. No white smoke prior to the failure (my girlfriend left the house in my car and she called me when it happened and she started driving the car when it was knocking). First issue with my car besides common steering rack failure.

I had a pro tune, cobb intake, koyo radiator, ETS TMIC, IAG AOS, GDT Cylinder mod and catback exhaust for about 10,000 miles.

Total bill for Subaru was $16,000 for new short block, refinish heads, turbo, downpipe, labor and etc. Due to my aftermarket tune, they denied the 100k rod knock warranty but since the dealer tech is a good friend of my girlfriend, they worked with SOA to cover half. I paid $8000 and had my IAG oil pick up installed. Car was down for 1.5 months. So in summary, my engine didn't fail, just the dumb turbo but I know of the risk and had a $10,000 CC for the car.

Also, my bill was expensive because my girlfriend called me saying my car had a small knock sound but I blew her off. I told her it was fine so she drove it home and bam, catastrophic failure.

My OEM pick up tube had no crack though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for sharing.

Most companies these days would not have given you the goodwill鈥.assume the new engine comes with some sort of warranty too (2y?) - and do they replace pre RA ej257鈥檚 with RA short blocks?

Registered
Thanks for sharing.

Most companies these days would not have given you the goodwill鈥.assume the new engine comes with some sort of warranty too (2y?) - and do they replace pre RA ej257鈥檚 with RA short blocks?
"Rumors" have it, the answer is yes.

Registered
So you are saying that Subaru keeps two EJ short blocks (pre and post RA) in stock for warranty purposes? That hardly seems logical especially since the RA block has been in use since 2019 MY.
They go by your VIN for the right year block. I asked if I could get the 2019+ block after I got rod knock and they said yes if I wanted to pay the whole $16l versus them paying half for my modded 2015 STI.

Registered
They go by your VIN for the right year block. I asked if I could get the 2019+ block after I got rod knock and they said yes if I wanted to pay the whole $16l versus them paying half for my modded 2015 STI.
That's good. Our local dealer shut down a guy who wanted to do that (warranty work). Stating, 'you get the same short block the car came with, not different'. :/

21 - 38 of 38 Posts