Index

Post #1 - Summary/Index
Post #2 - History/Photos
Post #3 - Mods
Post #4 - Dyno day
Post #15 - Diff and Tranny fluid change
Post #18 - AVIC X920BT nav unit and Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires installed
Post #19 - Whiteline rear sway mount braces installed
Post #25 - Group N trans mount, TurninConcepts crossmember bushings, and shifter trunnion and pivot bushings all installed
Post #26 - Fender vent flap removed, Whiteline rear diff inserts and Whiteline rear subframe inserts installed
Post #62 - Crawford Air/Oil Separator, KartBoy Pitchstop, and t-bolt clamps for pressure side installed
Post #98 - Power Steering Cooler installed
Post #122 - Carbon Fiber hood installed with Aerocatch latches
Post #126 - Finished pics of Seibon hood and Aerocatch latches
Post #173 - Tigwerks motor mounts and KillerB oil products installed
Post #204 - Group N motor mounts installed
Post #223 - Shorai Lithium-iron Phosphate battery installed
Post #368 - Dr. Color Chip to the rescue!
Post #389 - Summer wheel/tire setup realized
Post #403 - SuperPro rear suspension bushings installed

Thanks for Looking at Alli! :wave:

Final update: Sold on 27 May 2015. Best of luck to the new owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2009 Dark Grey Metallic STI - "Alli" (pic heavy)

Here's me finally adding a journal. Been a year since I bought it (Aug 13), so it is appropriate. her name is "Alli", named after Allison Baver the Olympic US skater. Both the skater and the car are athletic and sexy, so it is a nice correlation. See the resemblance?

:D

I bought the car from Subaru of Plano on Aug 13 2009. Here is a picture from that day:

Here is a photo shoot I did very shortly after getting back to Shreveport with it and the window sticker with the options and the original MSRP:

Hanging out at work:

And finally some shots from a fairly recent shoot. Debadged the hatch of the "Subaru Impreza" portion:

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Now for mods. My first mod was the Accessport with a Stage 1 tune. Nothing really to show for that, so we'll move on.

Crappy phone pics right after I had the windows tinted:

Now let the real stuff come... I put in the Tsudo quad tip catless TBE along with KB front and rear shifter stay bushings. Pics:

Moving on to some suspension work. KB front and rear endlinks with Whiteline 24mm front and 22mm rear sways.

(yes, I flipped the bar before I finished bolting it in... it is not installed upside down currently)

I decided the lower red reflectors are an eye-sore, so I blacked them out while retaining safety with black reflective tape.

One reflector covered, one not, no flash:

With flash:

Both done, no flash:

Both done, with flash:

On the car, no flash:

On the car, with flash: (simulating headlights)

Right now I still have the idea to get a Crawford AOS some day, and I have things like steering rack bushings, shifter upper pivot and shifter u-joint bushings, etc to install.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

My latest endeavor was going to Cobb Plano for a tune. My wife and I had a blast on the trip (about 3 hours) and I put up some great numbers for only really having a catless TBE.

Arrived at Cobb:

Strapped down:

Other interesting cars:

My dyno sheet (316WHP, 372WTQ):

(solid line is Sport #, dashed line is Sport)

And Cobb's video:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Re: 2009 Dark Grey Metallic STI - "Alli" (pic heavy), sways, protune, catback, etc

like the reflector tape, might have to go get me some

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 2009 Dark Grey Metallic STI - "Alli" (pic heavy), sways, protune, catback, etc

Thanks. Reflector tape didn't get as much of a warm welcome when I put it in the GR exterior section, but everyone has their own tastes. That tape is meant for outdoors so it has held up very well and I'm extremely pleased.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Oh sweet, I actually saw the video of your car on youtube of when you were on the dyno.. I was wondering if you were on one of the forums!

·
Premium Member
9,116 Posts

Thanks. Reflector tape didn't get as much of a warm welcome when I put it in the GR exterior section, but everyone has their own tastes. That tape is meant for outdoors so it has held up very well and I'm extremely pleased.

Thanks for looking.
oh the gr section :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Oh sweet, I actually saw the video of your car on youtube of when you were on the dyno.. I was wondering if you were on one of the forums!
Yeah, I'm here. I've lost interest in forums as of the last few months, but I'm no stranger. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts

are you stationed at Barksdale? i was there until December '08. there werent to many Subies around when i got mine. i am diggin the reflective tape on the rear, i have a roll of that stuff that we use on our weapons boxes. good numbers to. i got 272whp/298wtq on a dynojet with a Perrin OTS stage 1 map and am looking at P&L or COBB Plano for a Protune afer i decide which TBE i want.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Yep, I'm stationed at barksdale. 96th AMU EW shop. I got the reflective tape from weapons support, actually. Flightline support wouldn't give up any.

There are a few 08+ Subies, but they're base Imprezas. There's an 04-05 WRX down by Hangar 11 (haven't met him) and at Fabrication flight there's a blue 05 STi but he just got it a few months ago and is still learning. Nice guy though. And finally my buddy (recently got out) has a 300WHP 04 WRX wagon with STI block swap. That's all I have noticed.

Try out the reflective tape. The reflectors just pop out and it's real easy to do. Search the GR-Exterior section for the post and there's more details.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

Damn, nice tune on a basic stage 2. Hows the plano dyno compared to the old heart breaker? Do you have a base run? Gona double check the graphs in case I missed it.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Old heart breaker? Not sure I get the reference.

No base runs, though. I put down 291whp with the OTS Stage 2 v1.4 Cobb map and Calvin started working from there.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Some regular maintenance the other day. Changed tranny and diff fluid at 20k miles. The tranny fluid seemed okay, see the below pictures of the magnet. But the diff fluid came out black! Definitely should be changed more often than Subaru suggests.

Also, not so recent but here are pictures from a recent full detail I did:

·
Registered
548 Posts

What did you use for the detailing? Looks good. My rear diff fluid was pretty dark when I changed mine at 18k.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

More updates! Hello AVIC X920BT. :cool:

And new tires. Sumitomo HTR ZIII's.

I decided to go out on a limb with these tires. They're not as expensive as other tires in the "Max Performance Summer" category, but a buddy of mine has them on his 04 WRX wagon that he's STI swapped and modded the hell out of. He does auto-x so he's definitely put them through their paces. I figured they can't be as bad as the stockers so I felt like giving them a shot.

Long story short, I love them! I had not realized how bad the stock Dunlops had gotten. The car was real darty (and not in a good way). It liked to follow ruts in the road fairly bad, and rode overly rough. They had about 21k miles on them. I put the Sumitomos on and man what a difference. The car rides much better and feels more stable. No more ridiculous road noise, no more rut following, and the dartiness was gone. The first 20 miles I wasn't sure how I felt about the change in the steering, but once I got used to it and pushed it to the limits I realized that it's a positive change. Instead of the car suddenly turning in as I turn the wheel I get a lot more specific input into just how I want it to turn in.

I've put them through the paces on tarmac, gravel, and in the rain and in every way they are superior to the stock tires, even when they were new.

So, a nice surprise for a great price! Are they the best out there? Not likely. But they're definitely one of the best bang for your buck tires out there. I recommend them to anyone not willing to shell out for the absolute best $200+ each tires.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Finally got around to putting on my Whiteline rear sway mount braces. I got an impact for Christmas that has enough muscle, as my electric just didn't cut it when I put the sways in.

Car handles better now, with the braces being the only change. The subframe must definitely flex even if your mounts aren't bent (mine were still straight).

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Sabrewings' 2009 Dark Grey Metallic STI - "Alli"

Whilteline steering rack bushings installed! Can't believe I waited so long on these. They've been in the box for months.

1 - 20 of 435 Posts