IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confirming recent rumors, Saab Automobil is confirming plans to introduce a sporty small car it will designate the 9-2. The hatchback will be based on the Subaru WRX and will feature all-wheel-drive and offer a pair of powertrains: both a normally-aspirated 2.5-liter engine and a turbocharged 2.0-liter four likely to produce somewhere in the vicinity of 300 hp. Look for an introduction "just over a year" from now, said Saab CEO Peter Augustsson, who said he expects to sell about 7000 to 8000 of the sporty cars annually. The pairing might seem surprising, but both Saab and Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries are part of General Motors' so-called global alliance. "This is a great example of GM's partners working together, said the U.S. automaker's vice chairman, Bob Lutz. The 9-2 could be critical for the long-struggling Saab, but it is likely to be only the first in a series of new products designed to invigorate demand, according to Augustsson, who acknowledged to TheCarConnection that a sport-utility vehicle is also in the cards. -Paul Eisenstein
SAABaru. A hatchback based on the WRX. If it's shorter/smaller than the WRX wagon this could be a future WRC car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
This also makes sense with Subaru's decision to release a 2.5L for the US market. Who knew they were also designing an engine for another manufacturer (based on the 300hp power estimate)..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,773 Posts
That's not exactly true. Of course the 2.5 NA has been around for a long time, only this 'new' 2.5 FI is new. Notice they said 2.5L NA or 2.0L FI. Those could both be new, or it could mean RS and WRX engines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
This is pretty sweet, especially since I wont be able to by a new car untill 2004, this will give me the chance to possibly own a true, two door, sports car, with AWD and 300hp.....ohhh yeah!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
Soopafly said:
This is pretty sweet, especially since I wont be able to by a new car untill 2004, this will give me the chance to possibly own a true, two door, sports car, with AWD and 300hp.....ohhh yeah!!
do you anticipate it'll be as "inexpensive" as the sti?? doubt it. paying more for two less doors and *perhaps* less "headroom" in terms of hp. in general, i don't understand why folk see this news (or "dilution" to my mind) as a good thing. :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,816 Posts
Scooby

It helps Subaru's WRC team b/c they will now have the possibility of having a hatch to compete against the Peugot 206, Citroen Xsara, Ford Focus. If you look at team points lately Subaru, Skoda, and Mitsubishi all are lacking compared to the manufacturers like Peugot, Citroen and Ford that have a shorter wheelbase compact hatch, compared to the larger, longer sedans.

Edit: Skoda now is going to start running a new hatch instead of the Octavia sedan..aka BEAST OF WRC (that thing is huge)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
Soopafly said:
This is pretty sweet, especially since I wont be able to by a new car untill 2004, this will give me the chance to possibly own a true, two door, sports car, with AWD and 300hp.....ohhh yeah!!
do you anticipate it'll be as "inexpensive" as the sti?? doubt it. paying more for two less doors and *perhaps* less "headroom" in terms of hp. in general, i don't understand why folk see this news (or "dilution" to my mind) as a good thing. :-?
Hey 4MLA1FN,
It's not a $ issue as to why I wont be able to get a '04 STi. It's an issue of, I'm stuck overseas in the military, in a place that makes it near impossible to have a STi shipped with out paying out my arse. Also, conditions over here are pretty crappy. Having fine lava rock dust getting blown on my new STi by 70+ MPH winds is not exactly what I would want for a car of this caliber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
91TB78 said:
It helps Subaru's WRC team b/c they will now have the possibility of having a hatch to compete...
i see. but can subaru benefit from this since it's a saab??? i dunno what the rules are...
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top