IW STi Forum banner

421 - 440 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
According to this review, Subaru under-priced the S209 and should have charged $250k. Luckily some dealerships have adjusted the price accordingly nearing $130k with ADM :LOL:

First Drive: The Subaru STI S209 Doesn’t Cost $250,000 but Sure Drives Like It Does

...I found myself reminiscing about the last time I’d had so much fun on Northern California's Skyline Boulevard in an automobile priced less than $250,000. The S209’s MSRP, meanwhile is $63,995. How Subaru achieved that, I’m not precisely sure. All I know is that I want to get back in and drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting thread -

I would love an S209 but cannot afford one as I plan to use it as my DD....

So, I am taking my low profile ltd 2019 and having some fun. Better wheels. STI suspension bits that you can buy. better tires. Leaving the stock suspension there as it is super otherwise....it is a street car and "maybe" an HPDE someday in the future....got that out of my system with a 600hp track car in the past....best way to make a small fortune in car racing is spend a large fortune.....

Love the car. Last of the analog machines. We are really, really lucky imho that they do this. I suspect they had a forged piston fail on a test car and freaked out so they dumped the whole lot....I'd prefer to believe them. Sad if true, but the 19/RA engine is quite good and I do like having a warranty....

Getting a custom knob. Leaving the steering wheel alone for now...think the STI gets a better leather quality than the WRX..not sure.

I just find the car fun. It need not be more than that. But if I won a big lottery - would get one or perhaps a gt3rs. I think of the STI as a Porsche in disguise that is easy to work on and has parts that I can afford.

jb

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
I would love an S209 but cannot afford one as I plan to use it as my DD....
Pretty sure price does not vary on use.

I suspect they had a forged piston fail on a test car and freaked out so they dumped the whole lot....
????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think of the STI as a Porsche in disguise that is easy to work on and has parts that I can afford.
The engine? Yeah, thats exaclty what it is - after you delete all the best (and expensive) parts and hack off two cylinders :). Not knockin it. I drive one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
LOL -

On dollars: Meant that for a collector car, adding miles kills the "collectability value".... college tuition has be buying many of these if you will....virtually.

Piston story: Subaru put out a two part video on the S209 and in one of them they describe the problem with the piston - implied was a mechanical defect late in the process.

On the Porsche idea -
1. Giant beater philosophy (was in the RTR PCA group way back....)
2. Steering was actually modeled after the 911....my favorite part of a 911 and probably why I love the STI so much- the "feel" is spot on stock
3. The new P cars in the Boxster/Cayman world are turbo flat-4's and sound just like an STI - people in Porsche world note that their new cars sound just like Subaru's. Sort of funny and neat.
4. I just wish I could figure out how to get air cooled smell in an ozone friendly spray bottle...

I do love the S209. Subaru did something special, and beautiful, in pursuing such a thing and for that I applaud them. Forget the economic. They tried to put such a car in our hands at under 70k and paid the gas tax too. Amazing.

jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
LOL -

On dollars: Meant that for a collector car, adding miles kills the "collectability value".... college tuition has be buying many of these if you will....virtually.

Piston story: Subaru put out a two part video on the S209 and in one of them they describe the problem with the piston - implied was a mechanical defect late in the process.

On the Porsche idea -
1. Giant beater philosophy (was in the RTR PCA group way back....)
2. Steering was actually modeled after the 911....my favorite part of a 911 and probably why I love the STI so much- the "feel" is spot on stock
3. The new P cars in the Boxster/Cayman world are turbo flat-4's and sound just like an STI - people in Porsche world note that their new cars sound just like Subaru's. Sort of funny and neat.
4. I just wish I could figure out how to get air cooled smell in an ozone friendly spray bottle...

I do love the S209. Subaru did something special, and beautiful, in pursuing such a thing and for that I applaud them. Forget the economic. They tried to put such a car in our hands at under 70k and paid the gas tax too. Amazing.

jeff
70k for 340 horses and barely better handling than a 35K sti? Amazing? Hahahaha

·
Registered
13 Posts
70k for 340 horses and barely better handling than a 35K sti? Amazing? Hahahaha
Not arguing this....I have the STI Limited (better radio/sound than the S209) and I like sunroofs...go figure.

Anyway, IF I owned the S209 (and frankly it would be nice as I like the package), I'd likely be the guy who drove it every day.....not a store-it-forever guy....but I do recognize the motivation to collect things..even though I don't personally agree with it.

Anyway, I am happy Subaru did the S209. Hopefully they will keep doing Halo cars. The tech eventually gets to all of us.

jb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not arguing this....I have the STI Limitted (better radio/sound than the S209) and I like sunroof's...go figure.
Anyway, IF I owned the S209 (and frankly it would be nice as I like the package), I'd likely be the guy who drove it every day.....not a store it forever guy....but I do recognize the motivation to collect things..even though I don't personally agree with it.

Anyway, I am happy Subaru did the S209. Hopefully they will keep doing Halo cars. The tech eventually gets to all of us.

jb
why would anyone buy this car to stow it away and not drive? It’s not going to be worth more than 65k ever! Subbie fans are delusional thinking this car is that special in any way shape or form.
The next STi is gonna have 400bhp for 40k and just destroy this thing. Nobody and I mean nobody who is a car enthusiast looks at an S209 with praise, envy or respect. It’s an overpriced joke for that money and put it against almost anything in that price point and it gets destroyed.
By this time next year S209’s will be worth 50k with low mileage.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
The next STi is gonna have 400bhp for 40k and just destroy this thing.
I’ve heard that song over and over for years. When I got into the VA chassis is 2015 I heard that in short order we would finally have a new motor. Hasn’t happened yet. I love my 2019 and while you wait for their 400hp motor I’m happily upgrading mine with track oriented coilovers and other associated track goodies. Power improvements are being added as well. Big power upgrades will be next season and will be past the 400 mark. The EJ may be an old platform but there are tons of aftermarket items readily available. The direct injection game is not very appealing to me as it’s harder to upgrade given less support and the results of carbon buildup on the valves over time is an ugly mess. My son’s focus ST has direct injection and lots of carbon buildup on the backside of the valves. It’s in tear down now in my garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
why would anyone buy this car to stow it away and not drive? It’s not going to be worth more than 65k ever! Subbie fans are delusional thinking this car is that special in any way shape or form.
The next STi is gonna have 400bhp for 40k and just destroy this thing. Nobody and I mean nobody who is a car enthusiast looks at an S209 with praise, envy or respect. It’s an overpriced joke for that money and put it against almost anything in that price point and it gets destroyed.
By this time next year S209’s will be worth 50k with low mileage.
Kaneda23,

I hear ya on your arguments, however the one I totally disagree with you on is the car enthusiast point of view not looking at a S209 with praise, envy, or respect. Bro I’m a car enthusiast...currently have a 2016 Nismo GTR in my stable. Had a 2014 Track edition GTR prior to that and a supercharged Active Autowerks E92 M3 prior to that. Oh forgot had a 2019 Type-R also. List goes on. Like my other whips I drive them and they’re not garage queens. I always use the analogy of having a hot girlfriend and not doing the horizontal mamba all the time...what you’re gonna save it for the next boyfriend...heck no. Plus time is short...here one day gone the next.

As a car enthusiast I bought the S209 because of what the STI engineers did with the car in terms of the level of hands craftsmanship. On my S209 the door jam sticker shows it took them 4 months from taking it off the regular Subaru line and moving over to the STI workshop to do their magic which was covered pretty well in their 2 part video. Pretty cool. I also like the rareness of the vehicle. Not going to see another one on the road anytime soon especially where I live as there are TONS of Lambos, Ferrari’s, Porsche’s, Mclaren’s, etc. Also a car is not an investment, however you do have those outliers. It’s meant to be driven and enjoyed.

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
In 2015 IAG completely built my 05 STI - remove teardown, machine, B&B, valvework, reassamble, replace all things - Turbo fueling, inter-cooler, header, airbox, radiator, mounts, clutch, BOV, EBC - in two weeks - a 10 year old car with 184 K on it come out with a new looking engine bay and over a hundred more more HP at the wheels than the S209 has BHP?

I'm sorry. I won't spend $60k on a car that can;t come close to my built beater. I've done plenty of work one my own to this car. I've probably over $50K into it overall - but that includes suspension, brakes many misc parts, and 250Kmi of maintenance - including a rebuilt and upgraded trans and even a new air conditioning condenser . . .

Keepin my eye out for a 17+ with a blown engine

·
Registered
346 Posts
I’ve heard that song over and over for years. When I got into the VA chassis is 2015 I heard that in short order we would finally have a new motor. Hasn’t happened yet. I love my 2019 and while you wait for their 400hp motor I’m happily upgrading mine with track oriented coilovers and other associated track goodies. Power improvements are being added as well. Big power upgrades will be next season and will be past the 400 mark. The EJ may be an old platform but there are tons of aftermarket items readily available. The direct injection game is not very appealing to me as it’s harder to upgrade given less support and the results of carbon buildup on the valves over time is an ugly mess. My son’s focus ST has direct injection and lots of carbon buildup on the backside of the valves. It’s in tear down now in my garage

I agree, the EJ has vast aftermarket support as it's been around for decades..

However, I look forward to seeing what the next gen, FA powered STI is capable of. The FA20DIT in the WRX can reach 400whp on the stock turbo and stock injectors with a very broad torque curve. Add some "STi tuning" to the larger displacement FA24DIT and it could be quite a monster. Direct injection will of course require periodic maintenance for carbon buildup unless the next gen STI borrows Toyota's D4-S dual injection system from the twins.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
While i was doin my oil change yesterday, i was planning to install my superpro front sway bar bushings, i tried to push it out of the bar, but surprised to see the S209 front sway bar bushings has no slot or break in the rubber to slide it out, it came with a solid piece of rubber bushings part number ST20414SF000 ( i believe these are Group-N pieces), no idea how the factory installed them. I thought sliding them out all the way to the end, but kept it as is.

·
Registered
346 Posts
S209 #28 is up for sale. He was one of the first owners to take delivery and is selling it after a short 4 months of ownership. He was probably the first to dyno an S209. This was also the S209 that Cobb used for development of their stage 1 OTS tune.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I found a guy that is certainly enjoying his S209 (#138).. but has likely devalued it quite a bit and taken away from what makes it special IMO..

I do approve of the Killer B ELH though :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Cobb announced tuning support for the S209 today. They're only offering a Stage 1 OTS 93 octane map.

The COBB OTS Map availability for the S209 is a bit different than our typical WRX or STI assortment. With a limited number of cars available to be used for testing, and based on our findings, the only performance map offered at this time is a Stage 1 OTS map for 93 octane fuel. During investigation and development of this map, our calibration team noted that even utilizing the factory calibration with 93 octane fuel, the S209 exhibited an inconsistent and undesirable amount of knock. As you can see in the graph below, power sometimes suffered significantly on the factory calibration, so we were forced to end pulls early, prior to hitting the factory rev limiter. We were able to mitigate most of the undesirable activity in the Stage 1 93 map file and carry power out much more consistently up top, but did not attempt to achieve similar results using 91 octane fuel.

The Red (Run 1) and Green (Run 2) pulls represent power utilizing the factory calibration on two separate days. The temperature difference was about 40 degrees Fahrenheit (40F vs 80F) between the two days and that difference made a significant impact in overall power. Power gains as tested were 7-15% for both horsepower and torque.
I'd hate to own a S209 in a warmer climate with only 91 octane fuel available. I can only imagine how it would perform on a 100+ degree, hot summer day here in California on 91 ACN. They couldn't even take it to redline on the stock tune without experiencing power loss due to knock.. even in 40 degree weather on 93 octane fuel.

421 - 440 of 460 Posts