IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
"Subaru had to quash its ambitious plans for forged pistons and connecting rods, due to potential durability concerns that the company now suspects was a non-issue. Nevertheless, Subaru ultimately decided to take no chances with this special, high-profile car, and went with cast components instead, with no resulting loss in horsepower."

What does that even mean? They thought forged pistons would be a problem, now they don't, but they went with cast anyway? I assume the rods are still forged... WTF is Subaru doing? This car needs to have forged internals.
I got a feeling the editor may make a mistake.

On STI Japan's website it is clearly listed as having forged rods and pistons. Is an old publication, so I think is just best we wait until STI Japan release the updated information near the release date.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Am i reading this right?? So they increased the boost to 18psi and they arent going to use forged pistons and rods?? This basically sounds like a like a 70K stage 2 sti.

Incredible :rolleyes:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Forged internals and that wide ass was literally the selling point for me.
I can't imagine Subaru not using stronger internals for their halo car...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Forged internals and that wide ass was literally the selling point for me.
I can't imagine Subaru not using stronger internals for their halo car...
The only logical reason why they wouldn't is due to the increased costs and most likely the amount of time that'd be required to build 209 blocks by hand.

I don't believe this had anything to do with people alleging it was the CARB/ EPA; AMG uses forged pistons in their motors and they've been doing so for years - CA included, so it really just looks like a cost cutting measure.

Subaru probably saw the S209 approaching a price point that would put it in direct competition with cars it can't compete with. A $70k S209 is in a tough place to compete with 'only' 341 "maximum hp" and it'll most likely struggle on CA 91.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The only logical reason why they wouldn't is due to the increased costs and most likely the amount of time that'd be required to build 209 blocks by hand.

I don't believe this had anything to do with people alleging it was the CARB/ EPA; AMG uses forged pistons in their motors and they've been doing so for years - CA included, so it really just looks like a cost cutting measure.

Subaru probably saw the S209 approaching a price point that would put it in direct competition with cars it can't compete with. A $70k S209 is in a tough place to compete with 'only' 341 "maximum hp" and it'll most likely struggle on CA 91.
Exactly, the cost and time of STI assembling the engine by hand. They're already behind schedule for a 2019 model.. there are already some 2020s on the road.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Exactly, the cost and time of STI assembling the engine by hand. They're already behind schedule for a 2019 model.. there are already some 2020s on the road.

I'm going to put on my tinfoil hat and argue the rush for it to be '19 MY is for them to leave room for the 2020 S210 - of which will probably have forged pistons and serve as a good bye to the Ej257.

I think I'm going to hold off on even trying to pursue an S209, granted I've already got an RA, and see if we get an S210. It wouldn't be a bad life to have an RA and an S210. :lol:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Captured some pictures from Driving Sports TV's review of the S209. Most of these special handling bits are already available from Japan with the exception of the rear flexible draw stiffener setup in the trunk.

Underneath in the back you have the lateral link set, flexible subframe support, and 20mm rear sway bar (from '15-17 WRX/STI).

LATERAL LINK SET : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI
FLEXIBLE SUPPORT SUB FRAME R : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI

In the trunk, you have the new rear flexible draw stiffener.

Up front, you have the flexible tower bar up top and the flexible draw stiffeners underneath.

FLEXIBLE TOWER BAR F : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI
FLEXIBLE DRAW STIFFENER F : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI
SUPPORT F KIT : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI

The Bilstein yellow struts and JDM pink 10mm lowering springs.

The JDM STI brake pads.

BRAKE PAD SET F : WRX STI(VA)|PERFORMANCE PARTS|STI

Hopefully some dealers will carry these parts in the US now and they'll be cheaper to buy locally rather than shipping from Japan.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Also spotted a peak boost display of 21 psi (rated at 18.9). The press cars may be tuned differently, but it's not common to see 1-2 psi higher than what Subaru publishes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Some S209 exhaust clips:

It has the same exhaust used on the S207 & S208. It appears that it uses the same resonated midpipe as the Type RA and 19+ STI. It's only available as a complete kit with the mufflers and midpipe for the low price of $2,000 + shipping from Japan.

Part#: STPKG40VV011
STI PERFORMANCE EXHAUST KIT S207 STYLE(STPKG40VV011 + 44011SG000x2 + 44022AA123 + 902350001x4 + 802008270x2) | JDM Japanparts.com | VAB
エキゾーストキット:WRX STI(VA)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI

Jalopnik comments:
...the S209 has a new “low-restriction exhaust,” according to Subaru. While it might reduce backpressure and help with performance in one way or another it just... isn’t loud enough. Come on, guys. This thing is just begging for more brap.
Speaking of the noise... the tweaked exhaust on the S209 really isn’t very special at all.. It’s only loud for the rear passengers, and while its note from the exterior or the driver’s seat isn’t bad by any margin, it has no real special character or quality over a standard STI.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What a disappointment.

Looks like a kid from highschool riced it out.

Only $20-30k more then base STI?

Same 5 second 0-60. A drivers race between this and the base STI.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What a disappointment.

Looks like a kid from highschool riced it out.

Only $20-30k more then base STI?

Same 5 second 0-60. A drivers race between this and the base STI.
It's not about that. It's about the exclusivity, not "it's this much faster than a regular STi"
I think you are missing the point of this car, much like people don't see the point of a BRZ.

·
Registered
303 Posts
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-subaru-wrx-sti-s209-power-torque-details/
Where the 341-HP 2019 Subaru WRX STI S209’s Power/Torque Boost Comes From
The story behind the STI S209’s horsepower and torque engine specs

The 2019 Subaru WRX STI Type RA's engine is already highly strung, so squeezing an extra 31 hp and 40 lb-ft out of it took considerable doing. One upgrade STI investigated long and hard was forged pistons, but in the end the Type RA's cast pistons ended up proving more durable. The following revisions contribute about 20 of the roughly 90 pounds the S209 gains over the Type RA.

Read our review right here.
  • No more power could be coaxed from the RA's turbo, so STI worked with HKS to develop a larger unit. The turbine wheel diameter increases from 53 to 56mm, and the compressor wheel grows from 60 to 65mm. Boost jumps from 16.2 psi to 18.9 psi (and if our test car's boost gauge is to be believed, it registered just over 20 psi for a brief moment).
  • To improve the performance of the intercooler lurking just beneath that hood scoop, two sprayers in the scoop deliver a two-second blast of distilled water at the press of a repurposed steering wheel shift paddle. A 3.7-liter tank resides in the trunk.
  • Fuel injector volume and fuel pump capacity are both increased by 20 percent.
  • A conical air filter and straighter, larger-diameter intake ducting reduce pressure loss by 25 percent while improving induction noise.
  • The mufflers reduce back pressure by 17 percent relative to the Type RA (which is already 50 percent less restrictive than the basic WRX STI) and deliver a sportier sound. The shiny exhaust tips are also larger in diameter and polished by craftsmen in Japan's Tsubame-Sanjo region, known for producing cutlery and polished iPhone cases.
  • Sodium-filled exhaust valves with stronger springs carried over from the S208 (as are the flywheel and clutch, though the latter boasts a different disc material and a 10 percent stronger clutch spring).
  • All rotating parts are carefully mass-balanced, ensuring the pistons in each engine weigh the same to prevent vibration.
  • The engine control unit is remapped for more power.
    [*]Motul synthetic fluids are borrowed from the racing program (300V 5W-40 in the engine).
It appears the S209 will use the Type RA/19+ STI block.

21 - 40 of 416 Posts