IW STi Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

S209 confirmed

40K views 234 replies 53 participants last post by  yamahaSHO 
#1 ·
#11 · (Edited)
Unless this car has a new engine in it other than the EJ257, then its not worth the price. Im not saying it wouldnt be nice to own, but i wouldnt pay 55K+ for a special edition sti. Keep in mind that even if it does come an EJ257 or EJ207 with 350hp, a regular sti can easily reach the same power for basically 2K in the aftermarket world. What ever engine they roll out into this car, will probably be the engine they will put in the next generation sti.

Im not sold on this car until i see the specs and all the numbers. Im not buying into the internet brochure hype. Just remember how much hype the Type RA had, and look at it now lol

#12 ·
What ever engine they roll out into this car, will probably be the engine they will put in the next generation sti.
You don't think it might be the last hurrah for the EJ family instead? I'm not sure how the timeline looks with regard to rolling out a "new" motor ahead of the new chassis.

Im not sold on this car until i see the specs and all the numbers. Im not buying into the internet brochure hype. Just remember how much hype the Type RA had, and look at it now lol
Truth!

#14 · (Edited)
“I also think, like the RA... they just might use this as a expensive test bed for the engine in the next STI iteration. Premium for getting it early... “

Didnt realize the RA was a testbed for a uh MY15 ??? Its certainly not a test bed for anything new.

S209? Wait and see.

#19 ·
“I also think, like the RA... they just might use this as a expensive test bed for the engine in the next STI iteration. Premium for getting it early... “

Didnt realize the RA was a testbed for a uh MY15 ??? Its certsinly not a test bed for anything new.

S209? Wait and see.
I meant how the ‘18 USDM Type RA EJ “upgrades” found their way into all ‘19 STI models... limited run models are a good test bed for future iterations.

#17 ·
If this is a teaser to a watered down trim level, then that will stink.

The one thing that has me hopeful that it's a decent step above the RA is the fender flares. When going big power this prevents essentially totaling the car to add aftermarket flares/wheels/tires. The short if it is more contact path the quicker you can do e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.

I will remain cautiously optimistic.

#18 ·
its going to be just like Type RA with different colors, subaru just trying to sell as much STis as they can before moving onto new chassis, yall need to stop getting so excited evertime some, "special edition" sti comes out, theres nothing special about it, just a base sti with few things on it.
And also dont think the value of your "special Type Ra Limited TS S2091011 or whatever you wanna call it" is going to be better when you selling, no it wont be, you might get 3-4k more than regular sti but dont forget ypu overpaid by 5k-10k when you bought it new.
they only real special sti they made was 22b...

#24 ·
IMHO, the only value I saw in the RA was the roof and the venting... Otherwise, it was "just an STi". Honestly, it's pretty easy to modify these things to be far better with less money, especially if you have experience with this sort of thing.

Unless they do something drastic with this car, I see no point in it. Fender flaring to accommodate bigger wheels/tires from the factory is nice, but not ground breaking. The WRX got the same flares as the STi in short time.

#25 ·
Fender flaring to accommodate bigger wheels/tires from the factory is nice, but not ground breaking. The WRX got the same flares as the STi in short time.
And they're just gonna stick with the same 245 or 255 width Yokohama tires they're using on the STI and STI RA anyways lol

I still think they need to step away from 19s and go back to 18s with a proper 255/40 sticky tire. But I forsee them doing the same thing they have been doing with no regrets.

#37 ·
Probably not the best thread for this question, but yes you can fit certain 18" wheels. Check tirerack.com for suggestions, or other threads in this forum.

Back on topic, I saw someone trying to claim a diamond edition brochure (South Africa special edition) as the specs for the S209 over on nabisco :lol:

#39 ·
S209=TYPE RA (mostly) . What i wish we could get from Subaru is an STI based on the 2019 model, with classic rumbling turbo 2.5L with current awd system (with is topnotch in my book), but with these improvements: 375hp 7500rpm , 20lbs BBS gold 18" wheels (no need for bigger wheels/tires), no carbon roof, optional rear wing, optional magnaride, optional radio delete. IMO this is all is needed to enjoy an STI in ~2019 marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.