IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who has imported one of these cars (S203/204) into the states. I am about to try to buy one so any info would be really helpful!

·
Registered
372 Posts
One person imported one to Canada via through Subaru. Two problems; First the car is not street legal for the Canadian market. I don't know if it is legal in the US. Second, the price was almost as much as a 06 Zo6 Vette. In Canada a 2006 STi is $48,750 CDN, this person paid $84,000 CDN for the S204.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
^^No way haha. The S204 is a sweet car, but there's no way in hell I'd pay $84K for one. Considering after tax a STI will run you about $55.8k, it'd be a cold day in hell when I'd spend an extra $30,000 for "upgrades" that I technically could do myself aftermarket.

Aw well, good on him. I like to hear there are deep STI enthusiasts in our parts. :tup:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any way you know how to contact him? At this point cash isnt a concern. Not that Im rich or something, but I have an idea of how to get it cheaper, I just need to know routes that were taken in the past to help assist me in the future.

The car is legal in the states from what I found out, as long as its for race use only. I want to make it DOT legal, so once I get it here I am going to do whatever it takes to get it DOT spec.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The car is legal to own in Canada. Just can never be put on public roads. It was unable to meet compliancy standards. Emissions, Bumpers, etc…. That is what he told me. I do not know the person personally. I meet him at SOC head office one day…I think you have to go through SOA just as head went to Subaru. To make that car meet complancy stardards; I would think that would cost a fortune.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i doubt you can get it registered in the states as the engine is completely different. They dont have OBD2 in japan i dont believe, so theres no way it can get smoged.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
also you would have to import two and bring them up to DOT crash specs. one to crash test and one to own.... seriously.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
AWDrift007 said:
also you would have to import two and bring them up to DOT crash specs. one to crash test and one to own.... seriously.
Ouch...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
wow they make it so hard for us to get those cars over here......i wish it was easier

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Research Ive done turned up that there is an s204 legal here. You need the US equivlent ie. 05/06 STi crash test data, then you dont have to crash one. At this point I just want to get it here as "for dirt use only" The OBD2, DOT, EPA and structural integrity problems are actually the easy part. As luck would have it, I work at a shop and we deal specifically with subarus (good for me!). The real magic trick is getting it here. I plan on going to Japan to drive the car before I ever buy it, then I have a few friends stationed there, so the car will be left with them. I have another friend whos going with me, and hes getting an S15. We plan on using the same container to get them here and split the costs. From that point is anyones guess at this point and thats why I am trying to find anyone who has pulled it off. I need to pick there brain on how they did it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Wow, good luck with that. I hope you can pull it off.

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
rek888v2 said:
I want to make it DOT legal, so once I get it here I am going to do whatever it takes to get it DOT spec.
No offense, but how exactly do you plan on doing that?

Why not buy the limited, get the S204 wing, wheels and a badge.....should look pretty good.

·
Registered
286 Posts
hey rek i heard that the fastest STi in NC is at H&H, sr55 and alchol with 700hp at the wheels????? it runs low 10's? whats the story with that car.

·
3,274 Posts
http://www.j-garage.com/sale/usedcars/us.htm

Has a tiny bit off info and some links to the various gov't websites with more info. There is a much better site with more info but I can't find it, I have the link at home somewhere.

Basically if you are only going to use it as a race car off road just import it, bring a trailer to the dock when it comes in, put it on the trailer and drive off. Then race it to your heart's content.

Making it legal for the road is going to be $texas. I would just buy a USDM STi and swap parts over as needed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Peleg said:

Why not buy the limited, get the S204 wing, wheels and a badge.....should look pretty good.
I dont think anyone sells s204 parts?? if so where at?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ImprezivSTi04 said:
hey rek i heard that the fastest STi in NC is at H&H, sr55 and alchol with 700hp at the wheels????? it runs low 10's? whats the story with that car.

Its not 700, not yet. Were about to do a Cosworth long block swap this week, then the TSR 70's going in. Were hopeing for upper 800's when its all said and done. Right now it has the stock block with an SR55, it dyno'd at upper 5's I believe and it ran low 11's.

Peleg:

It would look pretty good, but I want the real thing! I have a pretty good idea of how to pull it off, but theres still a few gray areas I need to iron out. Thats why I'm here trying to find someone who has got one in the states.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kts262 said:
http://www.j-garage.com/sale/usedcars/us.htm

Has a tiny bit off info and some links to the various gov't websites with more info. There is a much better site with more info but I can't find it, I have the link at home somewhere.

Basically if you are only going to use it as a race car off road just import it, bring a trailer to the dock when it comes in, put it on the trailer and drive off. Then race it to your heart's content.

Making it legal for the road is going to be $texas. I would just buy a USDM STi and swap parts over as needed.
J's is a good place. I have swapped emails with them. They were the first one's that quoted me a price. I am about to buy a truck and trailer in the next month or so. That will be in prep for when the car hits the states. I work at a shop out here and we have many of the USDM STi parts I will need to make it fully legal. The OBD2 is what worries me but doesn't at the same time. I trust Todd at the shop and I trust myself, but thats going to be a test of both of our skills, believe me on that!

·
Registered
372 Posts
If and S204 can be brought to Canada, it can be brought to the US. Canada has many more laws governing vehicles. However, it will not be street legal. Look into a used one from Japan or New Zealand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts