IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
LOL... "aside from the looks (i know RX-8 wins hands down)"... holy crap those are the ugliest things i've ever seen, with the technowhatever bodykit from the factory they are hideous... the only good RX was the 93-95 FD Rx7s :) those were nice, like mini corvettes.

Robert~

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
y2ks2k said:
Heres a better thread:....
the funny thing about reading those threads from other forums was how isomorphic they were to our forum. all you have to do was swap "rx-8" or "s2k" with "sti" and vice versa and you a thread on the sti forum. ;)

staticx313 said:
... holy crap those are the ugliest things i've ever seen...
agreed! i think the value of the late generation rx-7s (particularly the r1) went up when that butt-ugly rx8 was released.

·
Registered
389 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
y2ks2k said:
Heres a better thread:....
the funny thing about reading those threads from other forums was how isomorphic they were to our forum. all you have to do was swap "rx-8" or "s2k" with "sti" and vice versa and you a thread on the sti forum. ;)
I was thinking the same thing but I really dont have anything against the RX8 and it is NOT selling very well at all. These things are literally piling up at dealer lots. My challenge to anyone who reads this is to take a look at their local Mazda dealer as they drive by and count the RX-8's.

On the other hand, the S2000 was sold for over MSRP at almost every "normal" area for 3 years and were still in major demand. Deals could be found in the mid-west of course, if you could find a Honda dealer. They still have a $3K markup in my areas to this day.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Best quote so far: "The RX8 looks fast, the STi is fast".

Personally, I think the RX8 is purdy.

M

·
0 Posts
I think the RX-8 is a turd all around, and I don't think they look good in person at all. They look ok from some angles, pretty good from others, and downright ugly from most.

But hey, they can feel good about their 'innovative design' if thats what it takes for them, hehe.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
i actually like the RX-8 and would buy one over the 350z or other coupes. rotaries are easy to get power out of!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Apparently Mazda didn't find it so easy to do. :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist!

However, let's be honest... the STi is no beauty queen. It looks nice in its own way, but it's small, and with the contrast between its rounded corners and its angular hood scoop and gigantic wing, it looks rather kludged together to most people.

Looks aren't the point though are they? And some people really LIKE the looks, because looks are subjective, everyone has a different opinion of what constitutes a nice looking car.

What I found most amusing was the fact that only one or two people there could admit that they are CAR people and not stuck on any one car to the point they can't respect or admire another car. Some people need their car to be the best car at everything or they don't feel validated.

Very strange indeed. :roll:

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
i agree with you totally, i also like all cars that represent good value, performace, looks or all or any of the above. sure the RX-8 is slower then most $30K sports oriented cars but boy does it handle! Perhaps the easy power isnt so emmision legal that im talkin about :p but most ppl have seen rotaries rip up 7 and 8sec quarter miles all the time :) im not saying to make a RX-8 a 8 sec dragger, but forced induction and rotaries are meant for each other :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
RX-8 looks okay to me. It does not annoy or attract me. I don't have any experience with rotary engine either. But I believe that its low end torque is weak and you have to rev it to the high range to get it to go quick. Being tired of the integra Type R, the STI is much easier to drive fast and its torque is awesome. It just pulls and pulls and pulls, but the downside is its not so good gas mileage (which is understandable). I also like its look which is mean and aggressive. However, I do think that the RX-8 is a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What I find humorous is the difference in maturity level between this site and those other sites. On this site, people have the ability to weigh the good and the bad between cars, while on those other sites, all they do is try to bash the "other" car. Of the previous 12 posts here, only one was really negative, while just about every other one on the RX-8 site is negative towards the STi. IMO, the RX-8 owners are trying to talking themselves into believing that they have a better car. I don't see this happening here (maybe because STi owners just KNOW that they have a better car :D ).

BTW - did anyone notice in the RX-8/STi picture that the STi is not a US-spec STi? No one over there brought it up, although I doubt RX-8 owners could tell the difference.

As for the looks of the STi - I had a Z3 before I had the STi. While everyone (generally) liked the looks of that, I never had people stopping me at gas stations and parking lots asking if they could look at/listen to my car. That happens on a regular basis now (along with people honking and giving me a thumbs up). I liked the RX-8 (even tried to convince my wife to buy one) UNTIL I drove it - just too weak. My wife didn't want it because she didn't like the way it looked. So instead, she settled on a HYUNDAI TIBURON GT!!! Hyundai quality is garbage and it'll probably blow up in 3 years, but it looks better inside and out and (with normal acceleration), feels almost as fast as the RX-8. Now rev to 7000 and drop the clutch, and the RX-8 takes off, but who wants to do that?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
eatV8 said:
...but forced induction and rotaries are meant for each other :p
but what's the reliability/longevity of such a motor?? i have the impression that rotaries don't live that long; overheating, burning oil, "piston" seals wearing out, yada yada. any of this true, at least more so that piston engines??

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Theoretically they should be more dependable (no violent changes of direction, etc.) but I don't think they're that advanced yet....

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Only problem the rotaries have had in the past was those damn apex seals not holding up over the long haul. Apparently, they've taken care of that issue. . . but only time will tell.

I test drove the RX-8, STi, and 350Z all within a few days of each other. Drove an S2000 a week after that. My findings:

350Z:
Low power like WHOAH! Massive low-end torque, and since it's all motor, just keeps on pulling, steadily. Sexy lines, awkward and kinda cheap interior, amazing performance, though.

STi:
Well, if you must ask . . . Silly fast! Comfy, practical (as this will be my only car for another couple years) handles very well, AWD, nicely laid-out interior.

RX-8:
Personally, I DO like the styling. Nice HIGH redline. . . but you need to get close to it for any real power. Which leads me to one of its major pitfalls. . . almost non-existent low-end torque. The interior looked cool, but as a bit awkward-feeling. Backseat? Better as a large shelf with extra doors for access. Trunk? Well, it's twice the size of the S2000's. . . which still isn't saying much. HOWEVER. . . the thing DOES handle like a freakin' dream. The test drive was quite a rush. . . keeping the engine's RPMs up made for quick enough driving. . . but the suspension made the overall driving experience quite amazing. The 50/50 balance was very appealing, as well.

S2000:
It's a Honda. . what can I say? Inside and out, the fit and finish was second to none. . .and the styling was definitely there. The cabin was comfy, albeit cozy. I would LOVE to own a convertible at some point. . . just not as my only car. The suspension, like the RX-8's, was amazing. Supple, yet nice and firm . . . it's a great cruiser that also loves the corners. Again, like the RX-8, the real power starts around 5K RPM. . .but the motor purrs then roars once VTEC kicked in. No backseat, and the trunk is a joke. . . but again, it's a convertible. Give a little, get a lot.

Overall, it was a very hard decision for me. The RX-8, however, was the first to be dropped from my personal list.

The main reasons being:
Lack of low-end torque
Lack of any real trunk space
High pricetag for what you're getting

Second to be dropped was the S2000:
Lack of low-end torque
Lack of any real trunk space
High pricetag, for something I really don't need yet (convertible top)

Last to go was the Z:
Two-seater just not practical enough yet
Has a hatch, but not a ton of cargo space
Interior was just. . . yuck.

Probably just my personal criteria, but the RX-8 just doesn't have enough to offer me to be a big contender. As a second vehicle, maybe. With forced induction as a possibility . . its chances with me would improve, dramatically. ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
any one installed a dvd/nav in their sti

the rx-8 looks cool like the front end alot, do not know if I like the suicide doors too much, but living in CO, and skiing and biking a lot i needed a roof line and 4 doors, but most of all turbo and good torque and the RX-8 has neither good torque or turbo :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I just noticed how they kept saying the STi eats turbos up and destroys them quickly and how the engines are horribly unreliable, while Subaru reliability has been better than Honda (as I'm told). WTF? Guess they gotta come up with anything possible to justify their purchase...

RN

·
Registered
4 Posts
For those of you that have actually driven the RX-8 and STi: which car actually offers better handling? Although I've been told that the STi understeers alot, it still supposedly has some pretty damn good handling. However, is it as good as (or better than) the RX-8's?

What about the Evo vs RX-8 (in terms of handling)? Which one wins there?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts