IW STi Forum banner

Rust on cast iron parts on STI?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Sabrewings 
#1 ·
I have some rust on the cast iron parts like the control arms, struts, hubs and sway connections, bolts etc. Is this anything to be worried about to replace parts or sand of rust to repaint or just rust proofing will be enough?

#4 ·
Re: Re: Rust on cast iron parts on STI?

The rust and perforation warrant is for body pannels. IE if the paint flakes off and rusts they will fix it, thats about it.

Surface rust on untreated bare cast iron is normal. You can get it off with an abrasive and spray paint it to keep it from coming back if it bothers you.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

#6 ·
How long would it take for the rust to completely destroy, say the front wheel knuckle if left untreated?

I don't understand when Subaru coats the parts in this black paint but somehow my Canadian winters with salt eats it away? Shouldn't the paint act as a barrier between the water/salt.

#10 ·
How long would it take for the rust to completely destroy, say the front wheel knuckle if left untreated?
Longer than you will ever own the car. Ford doesn't even bother to paint their rear axles anymore. I admit it was strange to look under my 6 month old Mustang and see every inch of the rear axle coated in red rust but at the end of the day it's just a cosmetic thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.