IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who run this oil is it ok to use the 5w20 or not?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bedtime bump

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Read your manual for the range of oil weights that are approved to run in the STi. I only run Royal Purple 5w30 and I'm in VA. I wouldn't run 5w20 and don't understand why you would want to.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i was just asking because thats all i could find at the parts store

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
yes run 5w30

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You can order it online from Summit, that's what I do most of the time...quick and easy. It's hard to find it locally and when the stores do get some in, I normally buy a case.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys i found some 5w30 at pep-boys for $6.49 they had lots in stock

·
Registered
335 Posts
napa carries it also.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool thanks ill keep that in mind

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
i dont know y sum guy on the other thread said, RP was crap

·
Registered
86 Posts
I said its crap because its not a true synthetic, its a synthetic blend... They even changed their tag line on the quarts to say with synthetic additive... they may have changed though since then. Just goto bobistheoilguy and read up about it. Royal purple tends to do poorly in oil analysis tests... you can also confirm that in the motoroilbible. I would stick with Amsoil or redline, or if you could afford the stuff... motul n what not. Right now, i am running red line and it is great, however im gonna go back to amsoil after im done with my stock of Red line since it is just as good protection wise, and I can get it for a little under 6 bux a quart... hope this helps.. I just don't know why everyone is riding the purple bandwagon.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
i just changed mine with RP 10w30 synthetic and it seems to run smoother than my previous m1 10w30 synthetic but that could just be my head playing tricks since the oil is new lol..

·
Registered
107 Posts
cmx168 said:
http://www.zag.si/~jank/public/bmw/oil_bible.pdf#search="motor oil bible"

Here is hte link to the motor oil bible... goto the end of it and it has reviews for alot of motor oils, as you can see royal purple performs consistently on the bottom based on oil analysises, even worse than most conventional oils. Stop putting this junk in your car...
that was a long, but great read, thanks :)

and i think i'll be trying out amsoil on the sti, from redline in my old wrx.

to be on topic, i have never heard anything good about royal purple, other than it is purple looking oil. many friends have tried it and on my recommendation, tried redline and they noticed a difference.

just my $.02

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah... no problem guys... i always never understood why people liked royal purple, i mean there has never been any proof that its good besides its "cool" look... where as i've seen the oil analysis's for amsoil n Redline, which have been good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts