IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: 1000 Miles today... oil is changed .... LET THE FUN BEGI

Hey all I was wondering I any of you have heard good/bad anything about Royal Purple oil. A WRX guy was checking out my STi and recomended it to me. Looked up the site here.

http://www.royalpurple.com

Sounded good and endorsed by Hot Rod magazine if that means anything. I was just wondering if anyone else uses or have any feed back from other people that have used it. I just don't want to hurt my baby.

Thanks guys,
Jared

·
Registered
858 Posts
super duper synth juice. super duper expensive too.

tv show on tnn claims to have gained like 2-3 hp by just changing all fluids, like tranny, diff, and engine oil.

but they spent probably close to or over $100...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used Royal Purple for a while in my Civic Si. Did 3 oil changes (9K miles) with it. I didn't really notice any difference between it and Mobil 1. However, I did notice that when I revved up to 8000 rpms, my car sounded slightly quieter with Royal Purple. I guess that's a good thing. Eventually I switched back to Mobil 1, cause it was cheaper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is all I use. Not sure about any performance increase over any other synthetic. Also I get a discount - a rep lives down the street.

·
Registered
986 Posts
ldivinag said:
super duper synth juice. super duper expensive too.

tv show on tnn claims to have gained like 2-3 hp by just changing all fluids, like tranny, diff, and engine oil.

but they spent probably close to or over $100...
He he... I saw it as well 2.x hp on a Mustang GT (I think the older version). Horsepower TV was the name of the show. $100 is good amount of money but then you only have to change the oil/filter on a regular basis. You do get a superior oil in the car though. Plus a couple extra horses. I would love to have AWD car (WRX, STi) dyno'ed before and after to see the results. My gut feeling is that it would be even less since the AWD is creating more friction on the Dyno.

Nick

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boost PSI with mods

Well one or two of the places I called around to said the it was only like a dollar more a qt than mobile1. I believe I was told $6.99 a qt and $79.00 for a case (12qt). Haven't priced any oil yet as I'm still a few hundred miles from the magic 1K mark. But the company boasted that their oil is so good that you can go 12,000 miles between changes w/changing out the filter and topping off every 3,000 miles. (htough the site also recommended following set oil change intervals until the warrenty is up, then you can do the 12,000 mile changes, so you can show proper maintenance should any warrenty issues pop up)

Jared

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
what about redline synthetic oils? Probably just as expensive, but I did 10000 miles in my ///M roadster and when we changed it , it still looked like new and was fine :). That always struck me pretty well since I ran the crap out of that car...

Robert~

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
hey what viscouisity to order for the royal purple engine oil? becasue i can get my quart cost at 3.35 a quart!!!
:p :lol:

thanks
amir

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
zerepjd said:
Well one or two of the places I called around to said the it was only like a dollar more a qt than mobile1. I believe I was told $6.99 a qt and $79.00 for a case (12qt).
I don't know where they shop for their oil but I have found Mobil 1 oil for $2.99 a qt on sale. Regular price around here is between $4.45 and $4.99 a qt.

BTW, with any good synthetic oil you can go well past the 3k mile mark. Changing syntetic oil at ~3k miles is just wasting good oil. I am running Amsoil and they say I can go 35k miles, changing the filter every 12,500 or 6 months. I don't plan on going that long between changes but I am going to run the oil for at least 6k and get an oil analysis done to see how it is before I go longer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
For sure, Synthetic was created to prevent us from having to change the oil so often, hence why the price maybe double and tripple what it normally costs because It lasts that much longer. As were always told guys and gals, We get what we pay for. . It mosto ften stand true.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
:lol: i get mine under my works discount! which is fatty, so looks like ill be buying a 5 gallon jug!

thanks st

Amir

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use the gear oil. It's not badly priced at $8 a quart. I use Mobil 1 for motor oil.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A little story about some of the "other synthetics" I get some of the outside marketer to send me the rating on the oils so i can inform my sutomers. I can't give out raw data but i can give you advice on the oils and which ones rate better under several tests, including load, heat viscocity, pH balance test, ect.
The one big thing you want to look at is PH, or chemical additive balance. As the chemical additives loose their effectiveness, or are burned away, which ever the case may be, that is when you oil becomes slightly acidic. Now don't get worried about the acid levels, these will not harm your engine. But acid makes a horrible lubricant, in most cases.
Ok so here is the general break down. 1.Royal purple (most expensive) 2. Mobile 1 3. Red Line
4. Valvoline syn 5. Castrol Syn I use mobile 1 and the reason is thatt eh ratings show that royal and mobile are so close that the price diff makes the choice.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i heard the royal purple is the best...but thay said mobil 1 will be adequate....i havent decided yet which to go with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts