IW STi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster :tup: I'm a relative noob to vehicles in general but I do my homework beforehand and catch on quickly. This is not the first hobby/forum community I have been active in, so I know the drill.

car history:
I recently bought a used '05 STi. Under 20k miles on it, was in really good shape. Whoever had it before me had a radar detector installed and a boost gauge, so I assume he rode it moderately hard, but nothing crazy as these were the only mods I found present (maybe he removed some, but I didn't see signs. Under 20k miles on it at time of purchase, tire treads don't look that worn.

I had been looking into a kartboy/tic bushing combo, but that is besides the point. Basically the shifting is sometimes rough. Not the clutch engagement but the shifting of the knob. Sometimes it will slide into a gear without any pressure needed and sometimes I almost have to ram it in. (esp first and second gear) I can't say that I am a professional stick-shift driver, but I am good enough to know when its my problem or the car, and currently I believe it is the car.

Is this something that is common in STi's, or could this be something the previous owner did to it during his usage? Maybe different bushings? I thought about opening up the shifter housing and looking around but I don't really know what to be looking for. Any help would be appreciated, I dislike feeling like some part of the engagement is less than perfect, even if it doesn't seem like it has anything to do with the clutch.

· Registered
1,425 Posts
well im not sure if this will help u but, i had the same problem with my 03 rex and i was at about 30k so i took it in for a full maintainence and they changed my diff fluid or oil and my transmition oil nd my car is sooo much smooter now . . . i dont know but maybe u should have that checked out :p

· Registered
358 Posts
Mine has always been rough since day 1... try rev matching, it works for me.

*edit: sorry, only rev match for downshifting, and give it time in between shifts when up shifting. i've also found revving it before going into first helps when trying to get it into gear.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ell im not sure if this will help u but, i had the same problem with my 03 rex and i was at about 30k so i took it in for a full maintainence and they changed my diff fluid or oil and my transmition oil nd my car is sooo much smooter now . . . i dont know but maybe u should have that checked out
Yea, it seems like that could be the case. I just got the vehicle a few weeks ago, I should have subaru service it and make sure everything is in order. How much will a full maintainence run you if i am at like 22k miles on an 05?

Mine has always been rough since day 1... try rev matching, it works for me.
The engagement isn't whats rough, i could have the car turned off and when i push it into first gear it's a struggle. But yes def learning fast that anything but perfect rev matching is the wrong way to do it :)

*before anyone says it, yes i know how to use the search option, but unfortunately when I ran my search the few threads i have found since then didn't show =(

· Registered
1,425 Posts
well full main. on my 03 for 30k was like 300 from a buddy but he did more than just change the oils haha he did sparks all fluids flywheel clutch u name it . . . but i dont know how much Subaru will charge . . . :(

· Registered
349 Posts
A couple other quick questions for you, does it feel rough going into gear all the time or only when you first start the car? The drivetrain in this car seems to be more sensitive to cold temperatures then other cars I have driven and once it's warmed up the shifts do feel a bit smoother and it's a bit easier getting it into gear. Also as weird as it sounds I find that for my car it really likes to have the clutch FULLY disengaged when going into the next gear, if I am being lazy and don't have the clutch pedal all the way in my shifts feel a bit rougher. If nothing else changing the tranny fluid won't hurt anything, if you live in a state where it gets below freezing you will really be able to notice how much different the feel of the transmission is when rowing through the gears until the car is warmed up.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it can be nice and warmed up and still run into a problem. Today when i was driving home after dropping someone off, I could barely ram it into first at a stop sign. This was a particularly bad instance, but I may bring it in to get looked at... that doesn't seem right. Its only 1st gear too.

· Registered
666 Posts
The shifting in the STI is much "notchier" than any other stick I've ever driven. Also, getting into 1st pretty much requires that the car is stopped.

· Registered
107 Posts
I have 05 sti with the exact same prob if it is one. My car has 13,000 on it and i am running motul300 and same thing.(motul helped with getting in low gear when cold) Warm or cold it is not smooth shifting. My trans fluid is good. I think the next step is the shifter bushings? Anyone? Do the bushings make a big difference?

· Registered
902 Posts
Downshifting into first is most likely never going to feel "good" or even work for that matter. I learned early on that jamming it into gear may in fact damage something (shift fork I think but I am no mechanic). I always downshift to second if I am rolling a stop sign. If you must must must shift into first I have found it best to double clutch it, not fast mind you, and make sure you are rolling VERY slow. I just took my car in three times due to the cold shifting issue and they at first changed the fluid and it felt a little better but not perfect and now I have given up trying until next winter when it gets cold again. Two things the 6MT does not like are downshifting to first and temps below freezing. Welcome to the club.

· Registered
303 Posts
Dude Lucas Oil makes this stuff you add to your standard tranny fluid that will stop hard shifting. I bought it at Kragen. The fluid is red but don't worry it is good for all manual transmissions as well. It really smoothed out my shifting and made most all of the gears easier to slide into. Also in first if your going above like 10 or 15 mph the car wont want to go into first so that is totally normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.