IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So it is time I start a new journal. This is my second STI. If anyone wants to see how my first STI turned out here is my journal link for that one: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/members-journals/48987-rosspbig-s-white-2004-gt30r-sti-new-defi-pics-s203-dash-custom-f-location.html

2008 OBP STI w/ BBS & NAV

Mods:

Engine:
- Cobb Accessport Stage 1

Suspension/Drivetrain:
- Whiteline 22mm Front sway bar
- Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar
- Whiteline Front subframe brace
- Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
- Whiteline Rear camber bushings
- Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
- Kartboy Pitch stop mount
- Kartboy front endlinks

Exterior:
- 3M Clear Bra
- 15% window tint
- Blacked out taillights
- Debadged except "STI"
- Perrin "Shorty" Antenna
- Rally Armor UR Mudflaps (fronts only)

Interior:
- V1 Radar Detector
- Subaru IPOD Integration
- AVIC F90BT
- JDM AV Panel

On order

Coming Soon:

Anyways on to the second STI. I picked her up from Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs, CO on wednesday November 19th. It was brand spanking new with 8 miles on it! :tup: The very next day I took it in to get clear bra'd and tinted. (no sense is wasting time with winter approaching). I had them clear bra 24 inches up the hood and fenders (specifically to include the hood scoop), the rocker panels, the whole front bumper, headlights, fog lights, door mirrors, A-Pillars, and door handles. For the tint I had them go with 15% all around. Here are some pictures of the finished tint and clear bra.... (car is kinda dirty sorry)

This is just to give you an idea of how high the clear bra goes....

This is of the Rocker panel....

Here are some tint pictures..

Ok so then we move on to today (monday, nov 24th 2008). As winter approaches us here in CO, I got the snow tires put on. Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds in 245/40/18. They look great, and have a very aggressive tread pattern, so I am very excited to try them in the snow!:tup: Here are some pics...

I also had decided that I want to go blacked out on this car, so I ordered Headlight Armors tail light and reflector tint kit. Unfortunately, my tint/clear bra guy could not get them to fit on the tail light. No matter how much he heated them or stretched them they would not fit properly. Then we decided to just use big sheets of overlay, and cut them to fit the light after they had been put on. Here are some pictures of the process we went through this afternoon to black out my tail lights....

Also notice the lower reflectors have been blacked out. The Headlight Armor overlays for the reflectors worked great so no problems there. Also notice the partial De-Badge... the "Impreza" will be gone soon too.

We did in fact have some trouble getting the overlays to stay stuck to the edges of the tail light. We figured out that it was much easier to take the tail light out (two screws and a wire clip) and work the overlay that way.

Then for the tail lights that house the reverse light and part of the brake light, those would have been a little more difficult to remove, due to the panel inside the rear hatch covering the 3rd attatchment point, so we just wedged some squeegies in there wrapped in paper towel to seat the overlay around the edge of the light..

As for the finished product, this is what they looked like before we trimmed off the excess overlay. You can get an idea of how dark the overlays are.. Just to clarify we did also put an overlay on the top brake light over the rear window, but I did not get a picture of it.

This is how it looks in the dark, with the tail lights on but no one pressing on the brake...

So anyways that is all for now :wave:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Re: Rosspbig's 2008 OBP STI w/ BBS & NAV......Protection is a must with winter here..

gah! crazy u got an 08... good luck!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Re: Rosspbig's 2008 OBP STI w/ BBS & NAV......Protection is a must with winter here..

Just stumbled onto your journal Ross..... I got my tint / tails done at the same shop
Looks really good, like the tails, and the reflectors are a really nice, subtle touch

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Just stumbled onto your journal Ross..... I got my tint / tails done at the same shop
Yeah they did a great job. Gene was willing to stay until 10pm working on my car which was awesome! :tup: They really do go the extra mile there.

You will have to see the car in person, pictures dont really do it justice.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

Wow. Gene is really a GREAT guy. My car was his guinea pig for tails he told me. 14 years or something like that and i was the first person to ask for tails, he had some issues but it worked out great, the 3rd brake light looks good too. We'll have to organize another local meet, no 08s were there for the last one

·
Registered
196 Posts

Looks nice, good job.

I'd be up for a meet sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

We'll have to organize another local meet, no 08s were there for the last one
That will change next time. Myself and sgtpeper (jeff) both have 08s now. :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Got the Rally Armor mudflaps on today, and not a moment too soon. We got our first major snow of the season today and the flaps really help out alot. I only put on the fronts as I hate how the rears look. The fronts also offer all the protection for the widebody that I was looking for so I am happy.

·
Registered
591 Posts

Ross... I posted this in response that that thread on OBP and smolked tails... yes we are neighbors, but havent seen you in an 08 OBP around (wait maybe I did the other day, early morning...)...we miss the growl of your old STi (like I miss my old hopped up stage 2.5 WRX).

Cool/weird that two OBP 08s are next door to one another... I have AP and other usual stuff... as you have probably seen my winter rims are Prodrives, otherwise our cars are very similar (my tails are harman motive kit - also a pain to put on). However, my garage is full of Perrin stuff right now and I am soon (Friday?) doing a full header back on my 08... so the sounds will be back on the block soon...

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ross... I posted this in response that that thread on OBP and smolked tails... yes we are neighbors, but havent seen you in an 08 OBP around (wait maybe I did the other day, early morning...)...we miss the growl of your old STi (like I miss my old hopped up stage 2.5 WRX).

Cool/weird that two OBP 08s are next door to one another... I have AP and other usual stuff... as you have probably seen my winter rims are Prodrives, otherwise our cars are very similar (my tails are harman motive kit - also a pain to put on). However, my garage is full of Perrin stuff right now and I am soon (Friday?) doing a full header back on my 08... so the sounds will be back on the block soon...
Yeah I miss my old STI as well. You live next door to my moms house, where I grew up but now I have my own place so thats probably why you dont see my car around much. Our cars look so similar its scary. (both blacked out with bbs wheels:lol:) I am looking forward to hearing your car after the exhaust install. Who is going to do your tune?

·
Registered
591 Posts

Yeah I miss my old STI as well. You live next door to my moms house, where I grew up but now I have my own place so thats probably why you dont see my car around much. Our cars look so similar its scary. (both blacked out with bbs wheels:lol:) I am looking forward to hearing your car after the exhaust install. Who is going to do your tune?

Harvey... but he has said some things that make me pause...they are only seeing like 220 - 240wHP on stock - Stage 1 08s on their dyno (but big tourque, cant remember the #s), so while its all relative and dyno specific and Ill do a before and after pull to see the % increase, there is that sense of wanting bigger numbers... and Harvey has some complex Harvey reasoning on why he doesnt like headers... so I guess im saying I am not sure who I want to do it... any recommendations? Super Rupar is so conveinent and they did all my WRX stuff and that was all positive...

I have my Prodrives on now... and will be blacking out the BBS before going back to summer set up (I know black rims are hate/love thing...)

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Harvey... but he has said some things that make me pause...they are only seeing like 220 - 240wHP on stock - Stage 1 08s on their dyno (but big tourque, cant remember the #s), so while its all relative and dyno specific and Ill do a before and after pull to see the % increase, there is that sense of wanting bigger numbers... and Harvey has some complex Harvey reasoning on why he doesnt like headers... so I guess im saying I am not sure who I want to do it... any recommendations? Super Rupar is so conveinent and they did all my WRX stuff and that was all positive...

I have my Prodrives on now... and will be blacking out the BBS before going back to summer set up (I know black rims are hate/love thing...)
Harvey does have some interesting opinions about different modifications. Last time I talked to him he was all about open source ecu tuning. I dont know if he is still pushing that. The thing with him is that he is a great tuner, and is more interested in making a safe tune for a car, than making huge numbers for bragging rights. He pulled some great #s out of my 04 STI when he tuned the gt30r kit that I had on there. The bottom line is that harvey will tune your car the best he can even if he does not agree with all the mods you have done. Headers have been proven to increase power so If you have them already, I would just install them and see what you get. Its all about the increase in power that you get from your mods, not what your car dynos stock. (especially since super rupairs dyno has been known to read low) Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races so the more tq the better in my opinion. I have heard good things about revolutions performance in CO springs, so when I go stage 2 protuned with my 08 STI, it will be between revolutions or harvey. I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I plan on making my BBS into winter only wheels and buying some Volks for the summer time. (black volks probably)

·
Registered
591 Posts

Harvey does have some interesting opinions about different modifications. Last time I talked to him he was all about open source ecu tuning. I dont know if he is still pushing that. The thing with him is that he is a great tuner, and is more interested in making a safe tune for a car, than making huge numbers for bragging rights. He pulled some great #s out of my 04 STI when he tuned the gt30r kit that I had on there. The bottom line is that harvey will tune your car the best he can even if he does not agree with all the mods you have done. Headers have been proven to increase power so If you have them already, I would just install them and see what you get. Its all about the increase in power that you get from your mods, not what your car dynos stock. (especially since super rupairs dyno has been known to read low) Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races so the more tq the better in my opinion. I have heard good things about revolutions performance in CO springs, so when I go stage 2 protuned with my 08 STI, it will be between revolutions or harvey. I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I plan on making my BBS into winter only wheels and buying some Volks for the summer time. (black volks probably)

yup he is still open source crazy, but likes AP as well. He did a nice but safe job on my WRX, so Ill keep it easy and use him

I couldnt pass on the price I got for Prodrives, but was thinking $$Volks and BBS for winter as well...!

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Rosspbig's 2008 OBP STI w/ BBS & NAV

UPDATE:

The UPS man was good to me today. I have decided to focus more on suspension mods initially with this STI, as I think it has plenty of power for now. Here is the run down of goodies:

Whiteline 22mm Front sway bar
Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar
Whiteline Front subframe brace
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Whiteline Rear camber bushings
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
Kartboy Pitch stop mount
Kartboy front endlinks

Picture:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Re: Rosspbig's 2008 OBP STI w/ BBS & NAV

UPDATE:

The UPS man was good to me today. I have decided to focus more on suspension mods initially with this STI, as I think it has plenty of power for now. Here is the run down of goodies:

Whiteline 22mm Front sway bar
Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar
Whiteline Front subframe brace
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Whiteline Rear camber bushings
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
Kartboy Pitch stop mount
Kartboy front endlinks

Picture:

wow very cool. ill likely follow your lead on this one - these are all parts i was looking at also. will do in the spring when the winter rims come off.

no rear endlinks? are the kartboys the 'metal bushing' type like perrins (which i didnt like on my WRX) or the polymer style bushing (and thus less road noise)?

interesting that you think stage 1 GR has enough power (after your old STi). i thought i was pretty anemic until i did all my recent power stuff....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts