IW STi Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bump

Anybody got anymore info on racks? I'm leaning towards the Thule removable system but would prefer hard mounts.
Any new subaru updates ?
i ended up getting a yakima q-clip+tower system w/ traditional round bars. i'd had good results with a similar system on my '99 corolla (it was on the roof for 7+ years w/o a single issue), but i 'm less happy w/ the setup on my 15 sti. i keep getting a creaking noise from one of the q-towers that i haven't been able to figure out yet when the system is loaded ( i have two front loaders on top for carrying bikes).

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Reading this thread on an amazing install of mounting plates makes me really really pissed Subaru didn't give us a mounting point! I mean seriously, you can't look at a Subaru ad w/o seeing some type of outdoor activity, and then they make us this car with no factory roof rack options and no recommended towing. :mad:

15 WRX factory roof rack mount installed, yea I drilled it ! - NASIOC

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reading this thread on an amazing install of mounting plates makes me really really pissed Subaru didn't give us a mounting point! I mean seriously, you can't look at a Subaru ad w/o seeing some type of outdoor activity, and then they make us this car with no factory roof rack options and no recommended towing. :mad:

15 WRX factory roof rack mount installed, yea I drilled it ! - NASIOC

Couldn't agree with you more. Between the roof racks, tow hitch, and the crappy Nav, those are pretty well my largest (and only at this time) complaints about the car.

Looking at the extent of mods on your link also have me wondering how the 2016 model may/may not have integrated roof racks as an option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
And has anyone bought and used the SeaSucker? I looked at that other forum and they seem to hold up.. Someone posted on there that the military uses them?...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey I don't know if you ever settled on which rack to get, but I used the SeaSucker ski rack this weekend and it did the job for a pretty cheap price. I drove from the East Bay Area to North Lake Tahoe (≈250 miles) and didn't have any issues with the suction cups losing grip. What I did have issues with is fitting four board in their rack. I special ordered a rack that could hold four boards, but I ended up having to remove the bindings from two of the boards and shuffling them around until I could very scarily push down the rack enough to close it. Overall a decent temporary solution.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hey I don't know if you ever settled on which rack to get, but I used the SeaSucker ski rack this weekend and it did the job for a pretty cheap price. I drove from the East Bay Area to North Lake Tahoe (≈250 miles) and didn't have any issues with the suction cups losing grip. What I did have issues with is fitting four board in their rack. I special ordered a rack that could hold four boards, but I ended up having to remove the bindings from two of the boards and shuffling them around until I could very scarily push down the rack enough to close it. Overall a decent temporary solution.
Do you think it would hold 2 boards w/o issue?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you think it would hold 2 boards w/o issue?
Yeah two will fit totally fine. I should mention that I got a prototype version of the ski rack that is supposed to allow me to squeeze four on (two up, two down). I would email them to see if you can get the prototype too if you're interested. One other downfall is that if you leave your boards on your roof in public, anyone can come by and release the pressure of all your suction cups and take off with them. I left four boards on my roof in Sacramento for three hours and it was all good though.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yeah two will fit totally fine. I should mention that I got a prototype version of the ski rack that is supposed to allow me to squeeze four on (two up, two down). I would email them to see if you can get the prototype too if you're interested. One other downfall is that if you leave your boards on your roof in public, anyone can come by and release the pressure of all your suction cups and take off with them. I left four boards on my roof in Sacramento for three hours and it was all good though.
I'm guessing the average Joe would have no idea how easy it is to release every vacuum cup in 3 seconds - thank Buddha!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
On my wrx I had clear bra on the roof in 5 places. A strip across the front for the wind fairing and the four areas where the foot pack mounts. It saved the paint hands down. I've had thule roof racks on almost every car I've ever owned and the window areas never leaked from rain, pressure washers, etc.

Just my .02

·
Registered
659 Posts
Does anyone else have the ecohitch installed on their 2015 STi? I'm thinking of picking one up but I need to make sure that no dremeling will be required in order for the hitch to fit. If I have to slightly modify the hitch, then so be it. I'm going to be using the hitch to carry my bike.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I really want one of those too. I don't want to do the roof thing again.

Ugh why can't I have less things that require my money?!?!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I did end up getting a response back from a rep at ecohitch. If you remove the heat shield, you can get away with some trimming. The only part that would need to be trimmed is the knock-out window on the rear bumper...which I'm trying to figure out how to avoid. I don't mind a roof rack but I am concerned about the metal hooks scratching my paint or even worse putting a dent in the metal over time.

Invisible Trailer Hitch Install on 2015 WRX - NASIOC

Edit:

I ended up ordering the Curt Hitch along with the Yakima Holdup 1 1/4" Bike Hitch. I will be getting it installed sometime next week and will let you guys know how it went.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any updates on the hitch solutions? which one is the least destructive? the ecohitch hooks good but the web site said some cutting is required and that the bike rack needed to be trimmed because the part that goes into the receiver is too long?

I'm looking to possibly buy an STI soon and I want to easily carry my bike.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts