IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get a Ron Davis Radiator yet?

Well, I did!!! It was not cheap $1000ish, :New Products | Ron Davis Racing Products

Why did I get this one over the other two populat models? For one I have heard of a ton of Mishimoto failures, and a few Koyo failures. Ron Davis seems to have a pretty good reputation.

The other reasons is because I wanted an oil cooler, but not an air-oil unit, but a coolant-oil one. This one has a built-in oil cooler (-10an fittings provided). It is supposed to bolt-in just like OEM.

I will update when I get it installed.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Nice :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Nice LittleBlueGT!!! I'm ordering one this summer! Lachute is making a custom Stainless Steel upper radiator tube for me, which will be paired to fit with the Ron Davis Radiator!

Did you order directly from them? I was quoted around $1500 CAD, so I'm intrigued to hear that you got it at $1000 :)

Let us know how you like it :)

Are you going to run an AOS with the built-in oil cooler?

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice LittleBlueGT!!! I'm ordering one this summer! Lachute is making a custom Stainless Steel upper radiator tube for me, which will be paired to fit with the Ron Davis Radiator!

Did you order directly from them? I was quoted around $1500 CAD, so I'm intrigued to hear that you got it at $1000 :)

Let us know how you like it :)

Are you going to run an AOS with the built-in oil cooler?
Talked with Julien (Julian, Julianio :lol:) about it. I beleive they were one of the shops that said they had issues with the cheaper rads, but it might have been someone else.

I was ordering like $7000 worth of stuff from KNS brakes, and Ken hooked me up with a deal, I think it was a bit less then a grand USD (which is like a million CAD :crying:).

AOS as in Air Oil Seperator with the oil cooler, not sure how they are really related?

Is there any information on how the oil is routed in there?

What failures have you read about with the other external coolers?
A local STI owner has had two failures already, and when I looked I found quite a few failures.

Awesome, show us how the oil is routed to it !
See the two fittings at the bottom of the rad?

You use your sandwich adapter of choice (I will use a thermostatic one) and run custom lines to it. I might double up on it and still keep the OEM one in place, not entirely sure how I will do that yet.

When I do, I will show pics.

·
Super Moderator
8,389 Posts
A local STI owner has had two failures already, and when I looked I found quite a few failures.
Failure of what???

See the two fittings at the bottom of the rad?

Image Link

You use your sandwich adapter of choice (I will use a thermostatic one) and run custom lines to it. I might double up on it and still keep the OEM one in place, not entirely sure how I will do that yet.

When I do, I will show pics.
We are more curious as to how the oil is handed once it goes into one of those two fittings...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I see, so you still have to use a sandwhich plate adapter where the oil filter sits. Ok makes a lot more sense now. FWIW, this is the setup that the Subaru Road Racing team used for their CTSCC STI. Was the first time I heard about Ron Davis Racing radiator with the built in oil cooler. But when I called up the staff they couldn't tell me exactly how the oil lines hooked up to the radiator so I never ordered one :rofl:. Would love to see how it performs for the weekend warrior. For now I'll make due with my Koyo radiator and OEM oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
It's great that companies are doing this, but it isn't theoretically any different than whats on the market currently. In fact, perrins oil cooler, has a temp gauge that allows it to enter only when it's reached optimum temp, thus allowing for you oil to heat quicker. You can get a koyo rad, perrin oil cooler, all fittings, 2 guages, a sandwich adapter, all new lines, for less than this radiator oil cooler combo.

Again, I like that there is developement, but the prices that some of these companies are charging is getting excessive.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Failure of what???

We are more curious as to how the oil is handed once it goes into one of those two fittings...
Failures of my radiators not oil cooler. I'm on stock rad #2 and Mishimoto X Line #3. I've met 2 locals that have had Koyo's leak too. For the record I've never had any other radiator leak aftermarket or otherwise on any other vehicle I've owned. I'm convinced the problem is Chinese junk cores and crimp on plastic end tanks. I'm hoping the new Ron Davis and CFS cores are going to do a better job.

Setrab cores are the business. Never had an oil cooler failure even when they sat in the open grille getting pelted by rocks.

·
Registered
998 Posts
It's great that companies are doing this, but it isn't theoretically any different than whats on the market currently. In fact, perrins oil cooler, has a temp gauge that allows it to enter only when it's reached optimum temp, thus allowing for you oil to heat quicker. You can get a koyo rad, perrin oil cooler, all fittings, 2 guages, a sandwich adapter, all new lines, for less than this radiator oil cooler combo.

Again, I like that there is developement, but the prices that some of these companies are charging is getting excessive.
Quality parts cost money. If you dont like it theres always EK hatches and eBay.

Ron Davis rad's for Corvettes, Vipers, CTS V's and Jags all cost about the same and dont have the oil cooler.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
You know Ron Davis list that as an auto trans oil cooler. Yes I understand it can be plumbed for engine oil cooling, but in my mind how efficient is that? I suspect it is similar to OEM type radiators in that a separate cooler is plumbed in the bottom of the radiator assembly.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You know Ron Davis list that as an auto trans oil cooler. Yes I understand it can be plumbed for engine oil cooling, but in my mind how efficient is that? I suspect it is similar to OEM type radiators in that a separate cooler is plumbed in the bottom of the radiator assembly.
I'm almost positive it'll be like the GM trans coolers and oil coolers on the side tanks of trucks etc. I think this product is geared more towards your weekend racer and daily driver than it is to the full on race nut.

Only testing will tell.

I know places like LIC do a 7/8 core with an air to oil cooler but I'm not sure if that's suitable for a daily driver. I know their GD version was FRO.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Quality parts cost money. If you dont like it theres always EK hatches and eBay.

Ron Davis rad's for Corvettes, Vipers, CTS V's and Jags all cost about the same and dont have the oil cooler.
I understand what your saying, it's just hard to justify cost vs value on a part like this, especially when you have decent rads on the market already.

it's the same questions I had when looking to buy killer b headers. Although killer b is superior to anything on the market (subjective), will it's added cost ever see fruition? Since most headers last much longer than I will own my car, are the killer b really worth the money?

I guess it depends on your use of these cars. If your planning to own them and race then for another 10+ years, then yeah I could see spending the money on high quality. But if your like me, and the sti is a stepping stone,
then spending super high dollar on longevity, only to sell the car in 5 years, isn't worth it imo.

Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Failure of what??
Leaks, mostly.

Very similiar to an auto-tranny cooler.

I see, so you still have to use a sandwhich plate adapter where the oil filter sits. Ok makes a lot more sense now. FWIW, this is the setup that the Subaru Road Racing team used for their CTSCC STI. Was the first time I heard about Ron Davis Racing radiator with the built in oil cooler. But when I called up the staff they couldn't tell me exactly how the oil lines hooked up to the radiator so I never ordered one :rofl:. Would love to see how it performs for the weekend warrior. For now I'll make due with my Koyo radiator and OEM oil cooler.
I also did my homework on this rad, and the guys that actually race the stuff, like LIC, and Lachute like it.

I agree that you can get a different rad and oil cooler all for less. The issue is I drive my car when it is -35F outside. The thermostatic sandwich adapters don't seal completely. Not a big deal when you drive your car in the 60-70+ temps. When you drive in cooler temps, you want your oil to get up to temp faster (so you can have fun earler!). Talking to others that also run Oil temp gauges, those thermostatic sandwich plates running to an air-to-oil cooler still cool a fair bit when it is real cold out.

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
Nice radiator. Using another high end unit on our 05, but almost went with a R-D rad. It's a great piece and you got a really good price. A high end radiator costs twice as much as the more common rads most run, and there's good reason. They are significantly more efficient! You can use a smaller radiator that takes just as much abuse, or more.

On the oil cooler, I'd be tempted to keep the OEM one since it's more a heater than cooler and you need all the help you can get. Or, if you ditch it, get the highest temp thermostatic that you can.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
I agree that you can get a different rad and oil cooler all for less. The issue is I drive my car when it is -35F outside. The thermostatic sandwich adapters don't seal completely. Not a big deal when you drive your car in the 60-70+ temps. When you drive in cooler temps, you want your oil to get up to temp faster (so you can have fun earler!). Talking to others that also run Oil temp gauges, those thermostatic sandwich plates running to an air-to-oil cooler still cool a fair bit when it is real cold out.
Fair enough, I'm in houston so I don't even recognize that symbol in front of your 35F lol. The cooler we can make our cars here, especially in the summer, the better.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice radiator. Using another high end unit on our 05, but almost went with a R-D rad. It's a great piece and you got a really good price. A high end radiator costs twice as much as the more common rads most run, and there's good reason. They are significantly more efficient! You can use a smaller radiator that takes just as much abuse, or more.

On the oil cooler, I'd be tempted to keep the OEM one since it's more a heater than cooler and you need all the help you can get. Or, if you ditch it, get the highest temp thermostatic that you can.

I will keep the OEM one, just thinking about running a sandwich adapter on-top of (or underneath) the OEM one, I think I have enough space.

I will wait til lmy first couple of track-days, and see my oil temps. Now that I have two oil temps gauges (one in the sump, and one top of the block in a galley-plug) I will use them to assess what I need in the way of oil cooling. I will just use some expensive Motul V300 5w40 oil so I am safe for now.

Once I can comfortably keep my oil temps to 230ish then I will feel more comfortable running T6, even at the track.

(actually, I really want to see how my two oil-temps gauges read in the -25F to -30F range. I would love to be able to run your oil pan, so we will see.)

·
Super Moderator
8,389 Posts
Leaks, mostly.
From the core?
Very similiar to an auto-tranny cooler.
Seeing how it's advertised as an auto transmission cooler, I'd be curious to see how well it flows, since automatic transmissions use low flow, low pressure through a cooler.

As far as the stock heat exchanger, if you have a reason to add an oil cooler, you shouldn't need the stock unit. Remove it and put in a thermostat.

1 - 20 of 244 Posts