IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from the alignment shop since I just put my camber plates on and :eek: $300.00. Thats right 300. I knew it was going to be expensive since I took it to the only performance alignment shop in town. Most of the others I took it to wouldn't touch it. I was speechless and didn't get pissed until after I drove off. I guess its my fault for not asking first but I've taken it there before to one of their mechanics who did it after hours and it was only $70, so how much more could going there as a regular customer cost.
Granted the alignment feels good, but they could only get -2.4 deg in the fronts and thats with one plate max'd out and the other one notch from max (PDE plates).
Anyways sorry to vent (I'm not sure if this is the right forum), but there is alot I could do with that extra $200

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
wow- at firestone they aligned to my specs for $129.

and i can have them re-align it for the life of my car for free!

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
I paid $50 aligned to my specs with free adjustments for 6mos.

·
Registered
422 Posts
$300 alignment. That is horrendous. Years a go I cut the lower A arms on my old BMW in two and welded them back together with the front track pooched out 1 1/8" wider. That's links 5\8" wider per side. I set the alignment in my garage at -2.5 deg camber and 0 toe with crude tools. Everything was set so close to what I wanted that it was no charge for checking it on the rack. No adjustment needed. I would have happily paid the flat rate alignment fee of about $80 for getting it right and verified.

I paid $110 for a lifetime alignment for my STi when it was new. Since I race there is a clause that I can only get on the rack 3 times per year without an additional charge. Spring, summer, and one at my discretion. Not every track day. The shop owner didn't want to get taken advantage of and I understand that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I paid $65 dollars and the car was on the rack for over an hour and the tech let me sit in it while he aligned it.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
fullerton said:
wow- at firestone they aligned to my specs for $129.

and i can have them re-align it for the life of my car for free!

yeah thats about what we pay here in Maryland, you got taken big time!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
i'd go talk with the manager and threaten to stop payment.

you went in expecting a reasonable price.

then again, i don't think the CC company would side with you. i guess the best you can do is tell everyone where you got it done, and warn them never to go there.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
dude, just go back to the shop, ask for the manager (be nice) and asky why the hell you were charged $300 for an alignment.. did you not get an estimate at first? and around here, even at our crappy performance shop (ride revolution) they charge $55-60.. i cant imagine paying over $100 for alignment.. but the "alignment for life" sounds like a good deal though..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The guy I talked to was the manager. And no I didn't get an estimate b/c as I said I went there before and didn't think it would be that much more. This is usually a German performance shop. They usually deal with race cars and expensive track cars.

What I think happened was they charged me the usual rate of $100 an hour and it took them 3 hours to get the most neg. camber they could get.

·
Registered
422 Posts
3 hours F'ing a round to max out the camber? Unless they were juggling corner weights the bill was padded.

Like I said before, I have a wooden trammel for toe and a bubble level camber gage and can rough set my alignment in about 30 minuets. I'm not a pro, and do not have the pro tools that make the work fast and a 4 wheel alignment accurate.

I do not want to waste the shop's time with something that is in left field, or burnout my tyres on the 0.7 mile trip to the shop.

Since you were capable of changing the parts it would have been very easy to shove all the parts to max camber when you bolted them up and then the shop just relaxes one side to balance the suspension when the car is on the rack. The extra time is minutes for them.

3 hours...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I don't know why I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. 3 hours is way overboard. That being said, one side of my car can't get nearly as much camber as the the other so much so that they had to set one to max and the other to one away from max is this something I should look into, or is it normal?

I'm not going to name them on the forums and start a whole bunch of crap, but if anyone is thinking of getting a performance alignment in Charleston SC I'd be glad to warn them through PM to stay away from these guys.

·
Registered
332 Posts
or......if you've got a brother that works at a car dealership you get it for free :lol: well almost free it usually costs me lunch or something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts